21 November 2008

Circus Magnifico

stilts

They made a grand entrance, all 25 of them, on stilts ...

stilts in formation

to perform impressive wheels and marching formations, better than my calisthenics team when I was 12 and we had normal length legs.

umbrella war

This was followed by war (minus the stilts). An umbrella phalanx was formed, with Son #2 atop, leading the charge in his bright yellow raincoat. This was followed by a cream pie fight of which there is no photographic evidence as the audience, including your brave photographer, was busy ducking.

flying

Parents gasped in terror and younger siblings yelped with delight as children flew and soared through the air. Some, smaller and lighter than their peers, flew the longest and highest. (Ahem. Their parents squealed the loudest).

There was lagerphone playing and stomping, musical accompaniment, human pyramids and tumbles, death defying feats of bravery and even a hilarious poetry reading from their stalwart teacher while the class stood behind him acting out the poem, culminating in a 'rainstorm' landing on the poet's head (Ahem. One of the cheeky bucket-wielders was my child).

serious clown

It was FABULOUS. I spent the entire time half laughing and half crying.

And no clowns were harmed in the process. Thank heavens.

21 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks like so much fun! Our girls do circus arts in the winter, but they haven't put on a circus yet.

M said...

How fabulous!

Fairlie said...

Fantastic! Isn't it amazing what kids can do with a little encouragement in the right direction?

Michelle said...

that looks like so much fun...for them as well as parents...it's great to see them enjoying the moment...

Eleanor said...

WOW!!!!!!! That is stunning. I want to join that school and get me a couple of stilts and some clown make-up.

blackbird said...

Brilliant.
I do wish I could have seen the pies though...

Elizabeth said...

Good fun at this school.
I would have been most nervous about the stilts.

sueeeus said...

MAGNIFICO!!!!!

eurolush said...

Walking on stilts was always a childhood dream of mine. Now I can see it's the dream of many...

What an amazing experience for you...and them!

PS-Never duck a cream pie. Just open wide...and close your eyes. That's my advice for the day.

Joke said...

The serious clown looks precisely like the sort of clown one would be unwise to attempt harming.

-J.

Joke said...

P.S. Why the half-crying part? Is this one of those thing where my Y chromosome renders me utterly hopeless?

Suse said...

Definitely a double x chromosome thing. I weep with pride and emotion every time a child of mine is on stage.

ps. the pies were mad with shaving foam. Blech.

Emma said...

Sounds fabulous! I know my heart would be in my mouth, watching stunts like you've described.

herhimnbryn said...

Cirque du solei watch out!

Isabelle said...

I weep with pride and emotion every time anyone's child is on stage. Motherhood does that to one. What a sweet wee clown, too!

Shammickite said...

Stilts!
Clowns!
Umbrellas!
Fab!

docwitch said...

I'd love to run away with that circus!

And what a wonderful school that must be...inspiring.

alice c said...

What an amazing opportunity - I bet they remember it all their lives.

Stomper Girl said...

Hoopla! Your serious clown is right not to smile, white face make-up makes one's teeth look disgustingly yellow.

Mon said...

I was doing fine until I came to the clown. They're just wrong.

Niiiiice blog, over from Docwitch's...

kim at allconsuming said...

You crazy Steiner mob