30 November 2008

First light of Advent, 2008

first light of Advent, 2008

The first light of advent
It is the light of stones
The light that lives in crystals
seashells and bones.


Advent crept up on me the Advent Fairy this year, hence the rather humble tealights on the nature table. (That Advent Fairy is as slack as the Tooth Fairy sometimes). However I did manage to find a golden pinecone candle to be the special lit-on-Christmas-Eve-candle, so all is not lost.

We lit the first candle to celebrate, spoke the verse and each put a little rock or crystal in the dish. Son #1 put on a small display of teenage coolness, but the Advent Fairy shot him a look and he managed to participate in good humour for the benefit of his younger brothers.

Tomorrow we will dig out the Advent Calendar and hang some angels on the mantlepiece. The children always start nagging to put up the tree some time in November, but a few years ago we made the rule that they have to wait until 1st December. The basket of Christmas books will be brought out (although the other day I went into the lounge room and found the younger two sneakily reading Raymond Briggs' volumes on Father Christmas. They looked suitably guilty, but what parent would chastise their children from reading?) and I get to drag out the Christmas carols cds, hooray! (Mr Soup rolls his eyes whenever I put them on the stereo).

Each year at this time, I get lots of visitors to my blog via Google - people looking for ways to celebrate Advent. This is what we do in our family - it's a nice way to enjoy the season and anticipate Christmas without the emphasis on constant daily gifts and treats. Or chocolate. If you're interested, my 2005, 2006 and 2007 posts regarding Advent, including the verses for each of the four Sundays, can be found ...

First Sunday of Advent here, here and here.

Second Sunday of Advent here [ the one in which Son #1 learnt the truth about Saint Nick, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny in one traumatic week], here and over here.

Third: this one, this one and that one.

Fourth Sunday - here [the one where I explained where the verses came from and no I didn't make them up] and there [no fourth post in 2006 apparently].

I hope that helps. Happy first Sunday of Advent, everyone!

24 comments:

sueeeus said...

I love the part about the display of teenage coolness. :) I was trying to explain the Santa Claus bit to BB while we were getting decorations out and ready, and now he asks me every five minutes if it's Christmas yet. I'm pulling my hair out!! Bless his nearly 4 year old heart.

trashalou said...

We are on the verge of the whole 'you know how I have always told you to tell me the truth and that Mummy doesn't lie?' thing. I think Princess Curly-Wurly will get one more year out of it.

tut-tut said...

I love your Advent posts, so I'm doubly glad it's that time of year again.

MaryjoO said...

the beginning of your posting here is truly lovely. I'm just starting to unpack shipments from being overseas for years, and am exhausted already -- but your post really cheered me up with the lovely saying and photo.

(not sure how I found your blog, but am glad I did!)

BabelBabe said...

so lovely.
makes me happy.

i got the boys Advent calendars this year, they are pretty excited. But we can't start true Xmas prep till after Primo's Dec 11 bday - that's the rule round here and it works well with my put-the-tree-up-Xmas-Eve mentality. The pine ropes at Trader Joe's are calling me - wrapped round the banister in the hall and draped over the mantel...

seed said...

Hi Suse,

Incredibly easy pattern for scarf, but has the appearance of looking difficult to a non knitter, this is important as it is a gift for my evil, wicked, witchey poo Step Mother.

Blue Mountains Mary said...

Thank you for this Suse - I too love these annual posts and that photo is so beautiful...

Eleanor said...

Oh, this is lovely.

I am looking forward to learning more about Christmas festivities via the blogosphere this year.

herhimnbryn said...

I find the christmas thing strange in Australia. I STILL want the leadup to Christmas to be cold, cold, cold. But your Advent posts always get me digging out the decorations and I thank you for that. Happy Advent.

docwitch said...

This is just so beautiful. I love your approach, (and the knitted animals).
We set up a little nature table leading up to Summer Solstice and I'd love to use a some of these ideas for Christmas too.

Liked your comment in one of your Advent posts about the Wise Men not turning up in time for the birth, and not bringing casseroles et al. Typical male academics.

Stomper Girl said...

Oh Gawd. I am just having a big sooky cry at Son #1's teenage coolness and the week he found out about the Tooth Fairy et al. *sniff*

meili_lo said...

i like the photo... very relaxing!

saw u in meggie's post... hope to exchange links with if it's ok. do visit my blog and hoping u can share ur thoughts.

http://any-some-every-thing.blogspot.com/

thanks!

Jen said...

Beautiful! Our tooth fairy is a total slacker, too. :0

eb said...

what a beautiful post - I have savored you all day...

happy advent to you

xox - eb.

Kylie said...

Oh I love this idea - I might have to do it with Amelia - we always light the candles at church and the kids get so much out of this time of year - but bringing it into the house is a fab idea. Thankyou!

Regina said...

Thanks for the links back regarding Advent. I am a bit late, but I will round up some candles today hopefully.

Leau said...

Every year I read with interest all of your Advent posts. This year you inspired me to start some traditions. I linked to you. Thanks for sharing and how fun to find my friend EB over here! Gotta love this whole connectedness in the Universe!

PrincessPea said...

I love the rituals and traditions you have built up around Advent. We have also tried not to succumb to the horrific consumer-fest that is Christmas, but not being religious it can be hard to fill that void. I love your focus on honouring various aspects of our planet.

eurolush said...

What a nice tradition. I enjoyed reading the older posts.

Crescent Moon said...

Thank you for posting the Advent verses!
I just discovered your blog and I look foreword to reading more of it.

Jean said...

Gorgeous photos, this one is so peaceful. I also like the photo of the acorns and really look forward to anything you may post in ways of a pattern for them. There is something so appealing about them.

Isabelle said...

I need this to put me in a Christmas mood. Lovely.

Ann, Columbus Ohio said...

thanks for the Advent post(s) we are going to adopt your tradition and have been gathering items from the mineral world, thanks for sharing it, my kids (10 & 13) are surprisingly taken with the idea!

Genevieve said...

Hi there,

I read a comment that you had left on Heather's blog regarding the pumpkin muffins. I made them 2 days ago and used a cup and a few extra tablespoons of pureed pumpkin (i boiled the pumpkin and then pureed it). I also used treacle instead of molasses, wholemeal flour instead of regular and applesauce instead of butter. And they were still yummy!

Cheers,
Genevieve