26 November 2008

mad quilting skillz

I am flushed with success.

Following my recent (and first ever) quilting triumph with The Coaster ...

coaster

I got all excited and made, wait for it, 18 more.

Can I just repeat that? Eighteen more!

Behold!

coasters for birthdays

The pinkish ones are for my bestest friend, whose living room is full of aubergines (the colour, not the vegetable) and purple hues, and whose birthday was um, back in the first week of November. (I am a bad bad friend).

The sage green ones with dark brown thread are made from an upholstery fabric sample book found at Reverse Art Truck and also seen en blogge this time last year being made into Christmas cards. Mum and Dad's lounge room is all sage greens and chocolate browns, so these will do nicely for my Mum's birthday, which was, um, the second week of November. (I am a bad, bad daughter).

And the other six, I hear the mathematically minded amongst you ask politely?

Blue floral with red quilting thread, for my dear friend L whose birthday is in APRIL. Thank god, I'm ahead of schedule somewhere in my life. They didn't make the photograph because it was kind of dark by then and I was practically sewing by candlelight. I am nothing if not obsessive.

I am also planning pink ones for another friend as a thank you for the loan of the clown stilt pants.

Oh, and a big shout-out of a thank you to Jane, who provided me with the batting used in the coasters. Ages ago, Jane and I indulged in The Great Chocolate Biscuit Competition, and she used quilting batting to wrap up a Persephone book that she also kindly popped into the parcel alongside the biscuits. I remember looking at the little wad of fluffy batting stuff bemusedly (not being a madly talented quilter in those days) and shoving it into the drawer with all those other things that may come in useful one day, and lo, when I suddenly had the urge to make and quilt eighteen little coasters, I knew where to turn. (Moral of story: don't throw away STUFF).

25 comments:

Blue Mountains Mary said...

Spookily - and I don't know if you know this - yarnstorm has mentioned you in her top ten beautiful blogs...

Yay for you my deserving friend!!

fifi said...

my GOD.

there is no end to this productiveness!
So pretty those coasters.


I need no encouragement for hoarding stuff, I have about 100 square kilometers of stuff that might come in handy one day, including about 20kg of beeswax, a couple of rolls of wire, and some silk squares that I bought in 1992.

CurlyPops said...

I love those! What a great idea.

Sarah said...

My circa 1962 sewing machine would not make those. Love them and suddenly NEED to make some!

Stomper Girl said...

A bad friend or daughter would not even bother with belated gifts, much less well-thought out handmade ones. And hey! It's still their birth-month even if you missed the actual day, I call that pretty respectable

Frogdancer said...

How strange... I've spent the last few days making coasters too. Even took the day off yesterday to make some that people at work ordered. (Sssshhhh. That last bit is a secret.) I'll be posting pics later today about it, if I can tear myself away from the sewing machine and reports.
So rewarding. So quick. So lovely. I like the starburst thingy on yours.

Eleanor said...

Just visited Jane for the first time! I wish I had been around for that Great Chocolate Biscuit Competition. Congratulations on having been chosen as one of her most beautiful blogs, well deserved!

Eleanor said...

I also wish I had been around when Jane received 257 comments on her post about whether blogging requires comments.

Martina said...

I find it absolutely amazing you actually have a friend that has clown stilt pants to lend! I lead such a sheltered life! Love the coasters! I suddenly need to make some too!

Rhonda Jean said...

Being an obsessive ratbag myself, I understand fully the power of focused passion. I love your coasters. I'm sure they'll make great gifts.

tut-tut said...

You are an inspiration!

M said...

Knew I should've kept that quilting wadding...unfortunately it is now wrapping the ski boots I sold on Ebay and is on its way to Perth. Bleh.

M said...

And well done on your Yarnstorm top 10 beautiful blogs mention!

Oh, and the coasters look great.

Jen said...

Beautiful! My favs are the sage green ones.

docwitch said...

They're gorgeous! Great job!

There must be something going on the craft collective consciousness/ether as I too was thinking of whipping up some of these for pressies.

Don't think I could get such a beautiful finish on my machine at the moment : ( They would look like coasters under the influence.

Jodie said...

Beautiful coasters and awesome quilting - lucky friends.

shula said...

Suse,

you are a nut.

Isabelle said...

Very very pretty. Eighteen is quite a lot, though. I don't think I'm that patient.

david mcmahon said...

G;day from the very city you live in.

Um, would you call that a ``quilt complex''!!

Kirti said...

Suse I've been having the same thoughts about the verification codes....yesterday I got RHOLE....they are playing with us.

Quite jealous about the Cate encounter.....and a bit excited about the Chocolat sequel....

Am experiencing similar to your quilting thrills, an obsession with felt - so easy to sew on the machine - want to make EVERYTHING out of felt.

Lesley said...

Oooh — you're off in the blogging stratosphere again I see! Congratulations.
Yours is a very beautiful blog; I do agree!
You doing the Steiner advent 'countdown' again this year?

meggie said...

What lovely coasters!
I need no encouragment about hoarding 'stuff'. Gom groans but I say "Lots of people have houses full of STUFF! We are allowed to have 'stuff'!!"

serenitymeadow said...

Those coasters are awesome and so doable. You know, I remember you and Jane having that little contest and how much my mouth watered for some of those chocolate biscuits. They really looked yummy but they just aren't available here in the USA. By the way, congrats for being in her top 10....that is quite an honor!!

Anna said...

How to make straight seams like that I shall never understand - but I do admire those who can!

Sarah Louise said...

I would not believe that you are a bad bad friend. Anyone who hand makes things and gives them as gifts...that would be a good friend. With a quilt-y conscience.