24 November 2008

me again

Hello world. I am "working from home" today. I love that phrase.

And although I am working (very hard) (in between WordTwist games with fellow bloggers, you know who you are), I have some things to tell you. You lucky lucky people.

• Those of you who've been around the soup for a while might remember that almost exactly three years ago, I was challenged to an arm-wrestle, by two separate people, for Cate Blanchett (you know, should she come knocking on my door to suggest we elope). You don't remember? Let me refresh your memory, I'll wait.

Are you back yet? Okay, well, I win. I can happily report that on Saturday night I had a close encounter with Cate Blanchett's knees (hi Cate if you're googling yourself on a whim checking out your publicity). The mister and I went out for a harrowing night at the theatre and as we were standing in the queue to go in (just after the deputy vice chancellor from work had spotted me and waved merrily [hi Professor! You googling yourself too?]) I said There's a woman just arrived, successfully wearing very difficult-to-pull-off tweed knickerbockers, who's the IMAGE of Cate Blanchett minus the elf ears. As we took our seats in the small, rather intimate Malthouse Theatre, I took off my jacket (black, with the spiders eggs and pubic hair brooch attached), swung it around to the back of my seat, and elbowed Cate Blanchett's knees. In the flesh. She didn't seem to mind, and so I fully expect her to call any day now with her diary in hand, ready to set that elopement date. Telfair and Blackbird, eat your hearts out.

Anyway, she is as pale and beautiful in real life as you would expect. And her knees are lovely, if bruised. Even in tweed knickerbockers.

Oh, the harrowing part of the evening was the play itself - Euripides' The Women of Troy. The Barry Kosky version with Robyn Nevin. Dear god. The woman next to me was sobbing within three minutes of curtain up. If you go, take a hankie.

We had read the press and I know the play so we were expecting a confronting spectacle but, oh boy. We tried to pre-order interval drinks at the bar before we went in and the barman laughed and said There's no interval. Just two hours straight of bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! [slamming his fist into his palm with each bam!] and then we open the doors and you all fall out, pale and wan, and stagger home. He wasn't wrong.

After the show we were gulping down a stiff drink each and the cast came out and air kissed Cate and each other. And hey, Robyn Nevin is little. She has such a powerful deep voice and huge stage presence that you expect her to be a giant. But she was right next to me and *I* am actually taller than her. By a lot. (I am never taller than people except ten year olds).

• On a lighter note, we watched Son #2 perform his first and last violin solo in a concert on Sunday afternoon. He got through it without tears and only minor screeching and we were very proud. He can't wait until the next few weeks are over and he's finished with Class 6 and can give up violin and take up the saxophone which is far more his style. (All children in Steiner schools learn an unfretted stringed instrument from Class 3 to 6).

• Now, thank you to whoever it was recommended I read/listen to Joanne Harris' The Lollipop Shoes, the sequel to Chocolat. Apart from the unfortunate title which makes it sound like hot pink chick-lit, it's a ripper. Darker than Chocolat [hahahha] and with more bite [hahahaha], I thoroughly enjoyed it. I especially liked learning the back story, which was hinted at in the first novel, but not really explained. Now on my commute I'm listening to Roald Dahl's Boy which is read by Andrew Sachs. I've heard Roald Dahl read it himself at some stage too - I remember his lovely dry, rather expressionless reading - but Sachs does a fine job, and if you listen closely, every now and then a tiny bit of Manuel slips in when he gets excited.

• This morning I had my hair cut.

• I think it's time to stop this gushy name-dropping drivel post and turn off the party side of the computer for a bit.

Have I mentioned I love this working from home bizzo?

Yup.

petrol

27 comments:

BabelBabe said...

firsties!
go read Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I would NOT steer you wrong,, dear one.

I love the sax. i wish I could play it.

Frogdancer said...

I'm working from work.

But seeing as all of my classes have finished, I took a long lunch hour and wandered around Spotlight buying fabric. I felt wicked and self-indulgent. It was wonderful.

katiecrackernuts said...

Um, is the petrol photo so we go out and drink some and end our own misery at not having won the tustle for Blanchett. I fear I was never even in the running - a litre at $1.12, please.

Paisley said...

What exalted circles you mix in!

If you're enjoying Andrew Sachs' reading and looking for something light to listen to, he is reading the new Alexander McCall Smith novel - Corduroy Mansions. It's being released in a Dickensian serialised form on the Daily Telegraph (UK) (www.telegraph.co.uk) with a new chapter going live each weekday.

Penthe said...

Good to hear some people get out of the house after dark and are rewarded with elegant, celebrity knee-spotting. Nice one.

Stomper Girl said...

I love your working from home lark too Miz Soup. We have Andrew Sachs reading some Thomas the Tank stories and I never hear even a hint of Man-WELL!!!, I am sad to report.

And may I just say ..
GWYNETH PALTROW??? Sheesh.

Janet said...

ooh, I know that photo, nice!

and funny but I thought about Cate Blanchett alot today, after watching disturbing oz filum last night - when I should have been packing - goodness there's a lot one can do when one should have been packing....

shula said...

I saw Robin Nevin do Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf about 30 years ago, and still remember it with awe.

She is Some Woman.

herhimnbryn said...

It was MEMEME who mentioned The Lollipop Shoes. I am so glad you liked it!

You had me shouting with laughter reading about your close encounter with C.B.

I like working from home, 'cept I retreat to the shed and make mosaics!

blackbird said...

It's all right - I've moved on to Tilda Swinton.

Badger said...

Great, now I'm going to have to arm wrestle Blackbird for Tilda Swinton. You lot can keep Cate, though.

I think bringing a hankie to Euripides is good advice in GENERAL, from what little I remember of high school.

And my boy is giving his second-to-last tuba concert tonight. After this school year, he's quitting school band and moving on to private piano lessons. Or that's the plan now, anyway. I must admit, I'll kind of miss the tuba.

Elizabeth said...

What Penthe said.

I have noticed that the length of a blog post is in direct correlation to a blogger's work avoidance.
Working from home = long post. Hurrah.
I don't usually post during heavy work avoidance (that would be somewhat like more work) and instead happily waste/enjoy several minutes/hours of blog reading.
As I'm doing now.

(Tilda is a bit TOO pale, don't ya think?)

Anonymous said...

Isn't it fun to see STARS in the flesh! I remember years ago , on one of those school trips to the theatre , seeing a very old actor and only being able to fish a holy picture out of my pocket for him to autograph . He was amused ,our accompanying nun , Madame Mary Cyril , less so .

Anonymous said...

I am not anonymous! I'm half of SmitoniusAndSonata , a blog on Blogger , butdon't seem to be able to comment as me , at the moment .

Jen said...

Someone 'splain the girl-crush/fascination with these walking corpses?

Never mind--it just means I have less competition for Salma Hayek.

alice c said...

I was very scared by the whole starey eyes/pointy ears thing - I am afraid that perfect knees are not enough to compensate.

Lucy said...

The Working From Home Palaver (sp?) is as good as life gets, no?

The bookshop I used to work in had Cate's mum as one of its regular customers. Now that is one very lovely, elegant, understated mum. I fell in love with Cate after that.

Books: have you read any Barbara Trapido? Babs is great. Sexy, literary characters, often set in universities and not at all 'literary' if you get my drift. Almost chick-lit. 'Brother of The More Famous Jack' is a cracker.

We ALL get a bit Manuel around here sometimes - gonna track that down.

Suze said...

When I'm in Oz I live in the same street as RN so see her around often. Her SO is also famous, more than she (on a world scale).

Stomper Girl said...

Lucy is right, Barbara Trapido books are fabulous and you must start with Brother of the More Famous Jack, and then go straight to Temples of Delight and Noah's Ark, but I would leave the Travelling Horn Player well alone.

Suse said...

Oh my god, Robyn Nevin lives with Friedrich Von Trapp!

Jen, I would totally take you on for Salma Hayek. (As long as she promised to pluck that monobrow).

Off to the library to find Barbara Trapido.

docwitch said...

oh yes! Salma - especially as Frida (I have conflated the two) another woman I could run away with happily.

I enjoyed the Lollipop Shoes and agree re your point on the darkness of the novel. Didn't realise it would be a talking book. Of course it would. Duh.

Love working from home. I'm doing it now, (marking) but feel more inclined to sleep.

Jean said...

I do envy your working from home day. Driving into LA county everyday is not very much fun. As far as celebrities go, I run into them on a regular basis, and really don't take notice. They seem to frequent the museums, coffee houses, dinner places and sometimes I will run into one while shopping. It's just life in Southern California. I've been invitied this week to a friend's home who is an author and he said he hopes I don't mind that he invited some actors and artists as well. Should make for an interesting mix.

Joke said...

I once waited a particularly long time for espresso next to Bridget Fonda, who has a nice scent and laughed -- with a tinkling, silvery laugh -- at my snarky comments.

I also confuse Cate Blanchett with someone else I'm currently blanking on.

That is all.

Helen said...

I love your photos! The light is somcuh brighter where you are upside down and in full summer. No wonder my colours look so muted to you. From Helen on the right side of the world and where it is nearly winter!
Peasouper was the old name for London fogs -any connection with your name?

kim at allconsuming said...

At least you'd left the green sperm bookmark at home.

persiflage said...

Farnarkling? Where did you come across that? I still have a collection of articles and letters from The Age, dating, I think, from the 1970s, all started by John Clarke. Is farnarkling still alive??
I went to school with Robyn Nevin, in primary school. She left when we were about 8. Funny, but I never forgot her.

Di said...

Very funny. Despite the fact that I'd already heard your story before I read it, I was giggling away. :))