15 December 2008

full steam ahead

Christmas pudding

The pudding is made. Once again we missed Stir Up Sunday (must put it on the calendar for next year ... it's the Sunday prior to the first Sunday of Advent), but the deed is done. It's pictured here awaiting its baking paper, tinfoil and string in preparation for the long four hours of steaming. I managed to keep up the boiling water all afternoon, topping it up from the kettle regularly as we pottered around making mince pies, but then retired to the lounge room to watch The Life of Brian (an excellent choice for Christmas viewing) and the pot boiled dry. Good thing brandy custard covers a multitude of sins.

mince pies

The mince pies, made by three boys and I (the mister was on the roof, festively clearing out the gutters). Sharp eyed readers will notice that one child claimed three and spelt out his name. They taste fantastic, despite over-enthusiastic pastry kneading by Son #2 who has suddenly developed an interest in cooking which I am strongly encouraging and cultivating (we made chocolate cake together the following day).

the statue puts on her Santa hat every December

The lounge room is looking suitably festive with the angel chain up, and the statue wearing her December headwear. The Advent Fairy even turned up last night with the stable. Better late than never I spose.

kitchen window at Christmas

And that shot is for Sarah, who asked her readers how we decorate our kitchens for Christmas. It occurred to me that I don't actually decorate my kitchen - all the decorations are in the lounge room with the tree and Advent table, cards, Advent calendar, angels et al. Feeling suddenly inadequate for neglecting my poor kitchen, especially upon hearing that Badger has three Christmas trees in her house, I remedied the situation with a festive windowsill arrangement. Soft trees from Stephanie's pattern, made ages ago, and yes they match my skirt), with a knitted Christmas pudding from last year, and a red paper flower made by Son #3.

Ah, that's better. Now, I just need to actually commence the Christmas shopping and card writing.

21 comments:

katiecrackernuts said...

You're right in the thick of it then. The pud and mince pies look yummo. I have been filling up on shortbread and gingerbread. Mmmmmmmm.

Sue said...

I remembered the pudding on time this year but only got the mincemeat made last night! It's looking a bit runny, my hand slipped when adding some rum, couldn't find the brandy!!

Sarah said...

Looks like a proper Christmas kitchen! Seeing as we spend so much time in there, why not decorate it? The pudding looks yummy. I've never had a pudding!

Hyena In Petticoats said...

Three christmas trees? bloody hell. You're lucky to even get a pot plant around here...

The statue looks ravishing in her santa hat - I hope all is well with you and your family into the new year - looking forward to seeing you on the other side. I don't comment here anywhere near enough, but I am always reading. Let's pop that in the resolutions, shall we?

Merry Christmas, dears.

Leah xxx

fifi said...

YUUUUUUUUUUUM.


I am no chef, but I am going to make some rocky road with fancy ingredients...


lovely phots.

M said...

Have just finished a post about missing Stir Up Sunday myself...over at beforeourtime (goes up tomorrow 6am). Good minds...and all that.

This year I had to go out while the pudding was boiling and I left it in the hands of my husband who had to make sure the water didn't boil dry. I said "after four hours take the pudding out". I got home, oh, seven hours later to note that the pudding was still steaming away. Hmmm.

Water was topped up 'though.

I figure extra brandy poured onto it will fix it.

Stomper Girl said...

My kitchen is decorated with a string for the Christmas cards, not nearly as nice as your pudding and trees and flower.

Badger said...

Okay, but you failed to mention that those three Christmas trees are manifestations not so much of my Christmas spirit but of my MENTAL ILLNESS.

AND I don't have one in the kitchen. Although I think I do have a festive towel in a drawer somewhere that I could pull out and drape over a cabinet door, if necessary.

Crescent Moon said...

Those pies look wonderful! Now I'm craving mince pies.

My mother used to make Christmas pudding served with hard sauce, but I've never tried. I really should one of these days. I just called her to ask for a recipe for a holiday vegetable platter last night. She'd be so flattered if I called her again to ask for her pudding recipe (she's very proud of her cooking).

docwitch said...

Love those touches. The statue looks wonderfully roguish in her hat. And the mince pies look fantastic! I want! The little Christmas trees look lovely. I've been thinking of doing something similar with a pattern I found on Sew Mama Sew!

herhimnbryn said...

I don't like mince pies, but................those look to beautiful to eat anyway.

Emma said...

Oooh now I feel motivated. It's puding making time (I am a little phobic about Stir Up Sunday, and worry I am cultivating mould, rather than aging a pudding.)

herhimnbryn said...

Thanks for your comment on the mosaic:) Did I tell you I have another blog too? The link to it is in the links list in the Mosaic blog. If you get a chance drop by.

Andie said...

Hello, first time I comment on your blog. (oh and what a wonderful blog it is!)
Your mince pies look delicious! I don't like mince pies, which makes my previous statement a bit ironic... but yours are a treat to any eye :) I'd like to know if you have shared this recipe in an earlier post, or is it a completely top-secret kind of treat? :)
I'd like to try making a batch for my sister who cannot live without mince pies during Christmas.

Thank you! and have a Merry Christmas!:)

PrincessPea said...

Your mince pies look wonderful! I stopped doing Christmas baking a few years ago when I realised that the only one eating the pies and the cake was me. I do miss doing it though!

Di said...

Progress is always a good thing!! I haven't made any food yet but have written most of the cards!! I am sure you will enjoy eating those mince pies (I just typed mice by mistake - I hope there aren't really any mice in the pies!!)

Isabelle said...

What a very festive post. I just love that little knitted Christmas pud.

seed said...

I love the knitted Christmas pudding.

Is the pattern yours ?

My Float said...

Every time I visit you, I feel better. Why is that?!

I love those mince pies. How do you make them so perfect?

Victoria said...

Mostly I am jelous of the view outside the window!!!

sunnsandvacation said...

Beach holidays
find perfect hoilday spots to spend your vacations.Sunnsandvacation.com,is teh leading beach destinations and getaways trip organiser.
Based in delhi ,india,weoffer beach holidays vacations,tours,trips,accomodation,cruises,adventure sports,travel with cheap affordable range of your budget.
We have bookings in hotels all over the world,online reservation for stay in overwater bungalows,cruises,island tour packages for fiji,tahiti,bali,maldives,bahamas,malyasia,seychelles,austalia,fiji,carrebian and a lot more.
Just visit www.sunnsandvacation.com for more details