23 January 2009

artichokes

artichokes7

It's high time we had some knitting content on this blog.

artichokes2

These socks are called artichokes because the pattern reminded the designer of the shape of artichoke leaves, so my hand dyed sock yarn was the perfect choice for this project.

artichokes3

I think these are possibly the fastest socks I've ever knitted. I cast off Mr Soup's globetrotter socks at about midnight on Christmas night and immediately cast on for these and did two or three rounds before collapsing into bed. I spent every spare minute of our week on the Bellarine Peninsula knitting on them, kind of obsessively, finishing them in Queensland at my parents' house on the 11th of January.

The colour in these shots isn't quite true; it's a little flat. In real life they are a much more appealing and lusciously lively green. But I was on Dad's computer and couldn't trick around with his photo editing software. I tried but it all ended with bad words like four ducks bake and clucking bell.

artichokes5

I love them, absolutely. The colour thrills me, the pattern is pretty, and they fit beautifully without being tight or baggy. The only minor amendment I'll make when I knit this pattern again (and I will knit it again), is to change the turning of the heel into a neat little triangular shape like the beautiful Hedera socks. A minor quibble however.

Oh, I'd also make them slightly longer in the leg. I have lots of yarn leftover so could easily have done a couple of extra pattern repeats.

Vital Statistics
Pattern: Artichokes by Megan Humphrey
Yarn: Elizabeth from Live2Knit, hand dyed by me
Needles: 2.25mm bamboo dpns
Cast on: 26 December 2008
Cast off: 11 January 2009
Made for: me!


Ravelled.

28 comments:

Laura Jane said...

They're GORGEOUS!!! SO vivid!

What DO you wear them with?

Thimbleanna said...

Awesome Suse! I LOVE the color. I haven't done green socks yet, but I'm thinking I NEED to -- thanks for the inspiration!

Sprout Girl said...

such a rich, full color! i love it!

Jen said...

Gorgeous! The color is absolutely edible.

PrincessPea said...

They are gorgeous! The colour looks fantastic on the screen, it must be amazing in real life!

tut-tut said...

I just joined something called the Rockin' Socks Club over at bluemoon fiber. We'll see if I make two of each this year!

Beautiful green, even if it is flat!

tiennie said...

Those are so pretty! Yarn...pattern...color... all lovely together!

Shammickite said...

The socks don't have any rib along the top which would supply some grip... do they tend to fall down?
But they are certainly lovely.

Blossom said...

lovely lovely LOVELY!!!!!

MsCellania said...

Oh, these are exceptional!
Glad you've had a nice run of beach time.

Anonymous said...

Knitting in Queensland - in Summer! And they reckon Queenslanders are troppo?

Stacey said...

Beautiful, beautiful socks.
Do they stay up, even without a band?

RW said...

those are quite incredible.
Learning to knit socks is on my to do list.

alice said...

wonderful colour. i need to try some pattern on my next pair of socks. if i brave enough. the texture certainly makes the sock.

meggie said...

Serious Sock Envy! How could you knit in the heat of Queensland??

docwitch said...

Beautiful! My favourite green. Wish I could knit socks. Sigh.

The wool I bought off you is gorgeous too, and I've been knitting away with it...getting there slowly...

eurolush said...

Those socks look like the first bright green leaves on the trees in the Spring.

I love the subtle pattern, too.

They're like small pieces of art for your feet.

Ravenhill said...

Prettiest artichokes I have ever seen!

Marion said...

Nothing says love like artichoke socks.

Tracee Dawn said...

These are soooo wondrful! I just learned how to knit, and have decided that I am going to make socks{ one of the main reasons I learned in the first place}.My Gramma, who has been knitting for 50 years, was horrified that I would try something so ambitious on my first{ish} attempt. So I told her I'm sending a pair to her in Canada! Now I've really got some incentive!

lisa said...

the colour, however untrue to reality, is lovely! i want to paint a wall in my new house this colour ... :)

and, oh--i love your wholesome swears, however tongue-in-cheek. maybe i can put them to good use while bumbling around in my classroom after hours, once the kiddies have gone ... ;)

lisa

Gina said...

They are rather gorgeous!

seed said...

I love these.

I have never knitted socks (an irrational fear of knitting in the round).

Would you consider selling a custom pair ?

Anonymous said...

Finished! I discovered your blog a while ago and have just read the entire archive. This, whilst simultaneously reading Enduring Love, has left me feeling a little stalker-ish; however I'm so inspired I've decided to give this blogging lark a go!

Suse said...

The whole archive? Good grief! I'm torn between flattered and awed ...

Anonymous, don't forget to tell us who you are, so we can visit your new blog!

di said...

You seem to be having some wonderful sock knitting adventures, now that you've stepped out past the good ole pattern you were using.
And lovely summer holidays too, recordbreaking heat waves not withstanding...

exercisebeforeknitting said...

Oooh, I love these socks! I need a really good pattern/color combo like this to bring back my sock mojo!

Smileykylie said...

Good grief, how on earth did I think these were pink socks? You must have thought I was a real nutcase! And I didn't leave a comment after all. Anyhoooooo.....lovely to meet you today, see you round the blogshere. :)Kylie