21 January 2009

Every day is a gift. That's why they call it the present.

I read that rather twee quote today in a Kate Atkinson book (One Good Turn - recommended. Note, the quote was ironic; Atkinson was taking the mickey). After I'd picked myself up off the floor from where I fell in a swoon from its saccharine sickliness, I thought Actually, there's something in that that I should learn from. Kind of like the choosing joy thing or the attitude of gratitude.

And then I picked up my camera.

pink umbrella

This is our beach umbrella, purchased the other day. The children were kind of horrified that I bought a hot pink one but the alternatives were yellow with slogans all over it, or blue and green tartan at twice the price. Also, I figured lying under a yellow umbrella would not be flattering to one's skin tone (jaundice?), whereas the pink one might facilitate a rosy glow. Actually it makes everyone look slightly sunburnt but what the hell.

My main reason for selecting hot pink was so that when I emerge from the water after a swim, I can see exactly which spot to return to on the beach. No stress or embarrassing gropings for other peoples' towels involved. (Those readers who wear strong prescription glasses will know exactly what I'm talking about). This is particularly important at surf beaches where the tides are strong and you often exit the water several dozen metres away from your original entry point without realising. (Can you tell I've been previously traumatised?)

pink umbrella

This was taken this afternoon. All of these were actually. If you click on that one above it will take you to the flickr page where you will see that I became somewhat enamoured of the "add note" facility.

he's a natural clown

And that is Son #2. He's so talented. (Straight horizon this time. Go, me!)

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frankston? Scary?
Now, that's a tad judgmental.

Badger said...

Hee! Your notes cracked me up. And I wear very strong prescription glasses so I know what you mean, however, I solve that problem by NOT SWIMMING IN THE OCEAN. That's where the fish wee, you know.

jo said...

'Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift - that's why it's called the present' - is that whole quote in the book? My girl has been watching Kung Fu Panda over and over again and this bit has stuck with me - was wondering where it came from...

BabelBabe said...

I once lost a pair of brand new prescription sunglasses in the ocean and humbly returned to my strangers'-towel-groping ways. I am glad you found the solution : )

also? I cleaned my screen and THE SPECK IS STILL THERE. so, ha!

Sister Diane said...

Beautiful photos! Love that red umbrella!

PrincessPea said...

Your notes are hilarious, and I love the hot pink umbrella!

tut-tut said...

Looks lovely, all of it. Great umbrella tip . . .

Gina said...

Great umbrella and I enjoyed that book too... very funny!

Kylie said...

how blissful does that beach look, sigh...

great thinking on the bright umbrella - I too hate having to struggle to locate "my spot"!

and I'm impressed you found a pink one ;)

Stomper Girl said...

Well you are the only girl in your house, sometimes you need to stake out the pink corner.

The surf looks nice and flat at that beach, no getting washed away from your towels there I'm thinking...

sweetpea said...

I live so far from the ocean that I'm always amazed how it just goes and goes and goes seemingly never ending.

cathleen said...

Oh my, all your beachy vacation pictures are making me totally long for a hot sunny coast somewhere...of course, the long winter, knee-deep snow and freezing weather sort of puts me in a real need for some warmth. Thank you for letting me, at least, live the beach, through you!!!

katiecrackernuts said...

I am in the newspaper business and like the while cyan, magenta thing that you've got going on there. A black or yellow umbrella would not been quite as nice a picture choice. And yes, those bloody horizons looks so 2D when photographed.

Marg said...

Good job you took those photos yesterday! Today you would have been able to see your nice pink umbrella as it blew away!

herhimnbryn said...

But that pink umbrella makes for very good photographs!

docwitch said...

You survived Frankston! Did you know there's a t-shirt for that?

Love Kate Atkinson.

As for those photos. Quit your day job this instant. Bloody beautiful.

Blue Mountains Mary said...

Very clever idea with the hot pink umbrella.

Not to mention the beautiful photos you made...

Janet said...

Now Frankston, isn't there a big savers in Frankston? not that you'd want to spend the day in savers rather than at the beach...

I thought the quote was from Eleanor Roosevelt, but apparently not, comes from an unknown poet according to the great sage google....

The pink is great. Perfect contrast for beach photos too.

Anna said...

These photos are killing me. I love the quote.

Anonymous said...

I'd only ever heard that line this past summer in Kung Fu Panda, by Master Ooguay. GREAT line, though. Especially coming from a cartoon tortoise martial arts master....

I personally love the hot pink brollie - and the bright summer beach photos. They are a terrific antidote to these drab Irish January days!

rhubarbwhine said...

OOOhhh love that brolly!

fiveandtwo said...

Oh gosh, splendid photos - love the snorkel one!

Glad your summer has been restful and casual - in between frantic washing and
packing sessions.

peppermintpatcher said...

I say pink it up. Let those boys grow up feeling secure. (being immune to pink is my theory of growing secure boys, plus having a son after a daughter sometimes he wore the pink singlets because they were still good enough to wear.)

h&b said...

*love* that last pic.

and lol at the horizon, been there, skewed that :p

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh with your pat on the back for getting the horizon straight - our family gives me a hard time about that and say they can always tell which pictures I took!