16 January 2009

jiggity jig

coming home

Coming back down to earth ...

Home to unpacking, piles of laundry, grocery shopping to restock the pantry, dismantling the Christmas tree, bills and mail to be dealt with. New shoes, haircuts and sorting of wardrobes, ready to start the new year. There's jam and chutney to be made with the glut of summer stone fruits, neglected citrus trees to be nursed back to health, knitting and sewing projects to be planned, tentative thoughts about a project with some of my photographs. And 2009 simply must be the year that I return to yoga seriously and do something about fitness and wobbly bits (says she, having just consumed a cup of tea, three chocolate biscuits and a nectarine for breakfast).

Other random snips ...

I've completed my first pair of socks for 2009; post to come in the next few days but also detailed here for my fellow Ravellers.

I was mightily unimpressed with my eldest child when, at the airport, he said in a loud voice at check-in What about your knitting needles, Mum? and I was promptly told to get them out of the cabin baggage and into the checked luggage. I had purposely packed bamboo rather than metal needles, but the friendly attendant said that if staff know about them, they can't let them be taken onboard. Two precious knitting hours lost! And I hadn't put a book in the cabin baggage because I had intended to knit. I spent the flight alternately twiddling my thumbs and glowering at the teenager.

I might do a 2008 reading round up at some point when I locate my book notebook; I lost it at some point in August and from then on my book tally lived on a scrap of paper floating about in the car. I'll see if I can find and reconcile the two and post them as I read some absolute crackers in '08 that you absolutely must know about.

What else? A day at SewJourn looms, courtesy of an online win, and the first of the Craft Retreats for '09 approaches. More A-line skirts ahead! Perhaps a quilt!

Also, for those of you on Flickr, I'm participating in Molly's 365 in 2009 project, taking [attempting] a photograph a day. The whole project is here, and my own set here. I'm excited about this one - it's pushing me to think about composition and selection and the possibility of turning some of my shots into cards, or [gulp] a calendar for 2010.

Okay, time for some serious interaction with the washing machine and then I might reward myself with a browse through the several hundred unread posts in my bloglines and see what you've all been up to. I hope you've been good.

17 comments:

Librarian Lee said...

Sometimes I wonder if "they" are all on the same page. I realize it's completely different continents but you'd think the rules of security would be somewhat fundamental (like, no guns). I was surprised when here in the states my knitting needles were totally accepted. No question - hmm they followed this surprise by removing my eyeglasses and going somewhere out of sight to examine them! Who knows...I'm hoping to knit my first pair of socks EVER very soon. ~lee

BabelBabe said...

I love that plane photo.

when we were on our way to palm springs, we heard an airport page for "the passenger who left her knitting needles at security. we nearly peed ourselves laughing. well, now i know we SHOULDN'T HAVE LAUGHED.

also, I am developing a marked preference for bamboo needles. Metal needles are too slippy for me.

Stomper Girl said...

Did you have to take the plane shot on the sly? I got reprimanded at Launceston airport for photographing the plane on the tarmac.

The nectarine totally negates any bad calories in the chocolate biscuit breakfast, fruit is THAT good for you.

Questions coming soon, in between wrangling my own loads of post-holiday laundry.

Blue Mountains Mary said...

That is a fantastic photo but I cannot hang around as I have to run off and look at your photo stream (most of which I have seen over there but just in case I have missed something!)

kt said...

Thanks for taking us along (virtually) on holiday; I think I've just about got the last of the sand out of my shoes now.

Great photos--I think cards with your snaps would be wunnerful. Sounds like 2009 is going to be full of lots of pleasant things for the Peas.

peppermintpatcher said...

You sound like you have the year off to a rolling start! We'll all need to jog to keep up.

docwitch said...

Spectacular photo there!

I'd love to have a peek at your book list. Looking forward to that one.

But now I'm off to look at your photies...

Janet said...

I've never seen such a shiny red plane! must have been brand spanking new... Highly recommend the photo calendar, they make excellent christmas gifts for those people who just don't need more "stuff" in their life (like my mum). And it's kind of a satisfying if slightly traumatic (as in which pictures to choose so it works as a whole and everyone's in it because we do a lot of portraits) thing to do with your photos at the end of the year.

tut-tut said...

A calendar!

Eleanor said...

"Gallery 365" is AWESOME.

Oh...and I know EXACTLY what kind of bird that is.

Hyena In Petticoats said...

Oooh - I managed to accidentally get my steel double pointeds on the plane when coming back from Melbourne for Christmas - BLISS! Knitting on the plane makes the trip go sooo much faster - I loved it!

(sorry to rub it in......)

Leah xxx

Anonymous said...

Loved this:
'seriously and do something about fitness and wobbly bits (says she, having just consumed a cup of tea, three chocolate biscuits and a nectarine for breakfast).'
My unintentional guilty pleasure is noshing on chocolate while flipping through a fitness magazine. That is to say, I don't do it deliberately but have caught myself 'in the act' on several occasions.

Suse said...

Oh I LOVE the idea of eating chocolate while reading a fitness magazine.

Priceless. And very me, actually.

Blossom said...

oh my......did your teen not value his life??telling about your knitting needles!!!?? what was he thinking???LOL
damn.all that knitting time LOST!!!!

glad you are home safe and sound.

M said...

Yep, trying to come up with a plan for 2009 myself. Not coming along well so far. Must try to make something for myself this year.

Didn't even THINK of the bamboo needles caper. Does that ususally work at check in? I was wondering whether I could take crocheting on board instead...

RW said...

Your 365 photos are fantastic.
Really - so vibrant. I vote for the greeting cards.

What type of camera are you using?

h&b said...

I'm doing 365 too, after a horrific fall-out last year.

So far, so good !

Love the pic of the plane!