20 January 2009

spoilt

We are being spoilt rotten this summer.

First there was our 'proper' family holiday on the Bellarine peninsula, then home for a couple of minutes days to unpack, wash and repack before the boys and I headed off to my folks' house in Queensland for 8 days. While we were away, the mister rang to say he had been asked if we'd like to house-and-dog sit for a week at a beachfront house on the other side of the bay from where we'd been earlier and seemed too good an opportunity to pass up and should he say yes?

Well, duh. I didn't even bother to unpack this time.

And so ... here we are.

Canadian Bay beach, Mt Eliza

Roughing it in a Mt Eliza mansion with amazing light ...

(well, ok maybe I exaggerate, but there are mansions here like you wouldn't believe, and anyway the house is significantly posher than our own)

fun with evening light

... a bountiful garden

from the garden

and a rather special attraction who likes to wake you up at five past dawn by leaping onto your bed and enthusiastically licking your face. (The boys like this bit more than I).

Chocky

There have been lazy days on the beach,

blue umbrella

(that's not me, that's someone who set up in front of me at the beach. I liked the look of her umbrella against the sky).

knitting time in the evenings in front of the biggest tv screen I've ever seen in my life,

summer knitting

and best of all, a gingerbread house to celebrate the newly minted teenager (Son #2).

the birthday gingerbread house

The gingerbread house had been secretly purchased the week before Christmas and stashed away in the top of my wardrobe, ready to be majestically produced on Christmas morn. Two weeks later in Queensland I woke up at 3:00am with the stunning realisation that there was a magnificent sugary confection still sitting in my wardrobe. I rang Mr Soup and told him the whole sorry tale, which he thought hilarious; while we were still on the phone he got out the stepladder to climb up and peer into the top of the wardrobe. Miraculously the little house was unmolested by the mice and bats that reside at our place and make occasional nocturnal excursions down from the roofspace into my wardrobe (TMI?), and so it travelled to Mt Eliza (again, secretly) and became a birthday cake instead.

Suffice to say we have been blessed, and I don't dare complain that I'm sick to death of my suitcase.

Believe it or not, while writing this post, I received a text inviting us to stay at Wye River (yes, in that house, Sue!) this weekend. Good grief.

24 comments:

Sooz said...

What fun! Gotta love those offers too good to refuse! Oh, and we will be at anglsea should you care to head up our way for a swim and to scope craft weekend venue...

imaginethatquilts said...

Man, it's tough to be you!

I love the idea of a gingerbread birthday cake. Bet it went down a treat.

Sarah said...

Wow! I want to find a house swap this summer so we can spend a chunk of time at the beach!

sueeeus said...

Oh, your cup doth runneth over!

tiennie said...

It all looks so lovely! Especially since I'm freezing here in winter!

K said...

I am gently yearning. Even though I'm very pale and would no doubt get sunburned and grumpy from the heat.

alice c said...

Gosh! I almost feel as though I have been on holiday too! Remember...however painful and inconvenient it is to live out of your suitcase and go to the beach you are doing it for ALL OF US. So...chin up.

eurolush said...

Yes. Listen to Alice. She is wise.

fifi said...

oh, I should have asked you to mind MY house too!


You have beautiful feet. I notice you have been taking care of them. Good girl.


I now have a fearsome craving for gingerbread.

Frogdancer said...

That reminds me.. I promised Evan we'd try making gingerbread double basses these holidays and time is running out.

Happy 13th birthday, son Number 2!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, your post has just given me a big bout of homesickness for an Aussie summer. Love your skirt.
Elizabeth

kim tori said...

What beautiful photos. Love the one of the lemons. The cake looks yummy too! Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself and having a good summer.

Stomper Girl said...

I think I'm jealous. I need more friends with beach-houses that need minders, that's what.

The Awakened Heart said...

Well. I definitely need to get to know you guys now! LOL! You are an abundance magnet missus. Enjoy it while you can (love the skirt by the way). Maybe when you touch down, finish your huge amounts of washing, we can meet up for that cuppa?

Anonymous said...

Did you mention book reviews may be coming soon? I'm quite keen. Previously I have ordered books from the library following your recommendations. So if you need a way to while away the hours...

seed said...

Love the skirt

Melanie said...

What gorgeous photos - I could have the one with the sailing boat and the sun sparkling on the sea on my wall forever. You are very lucky with your friends and family.

More Anon said...

Your pictures of the water are very beautiful. Make's me want to jump in (I'm a pisce, I crave water). Now our lake is frozen solid. Sigh!!! As a matter of fact, your hole blog is beautifull. Thanks, it's a joy looking at it.

More Anon said...

Sorry, your whole blog I meant to write. (Pisce and french)

fiveandtwo said...

Splendid house. Noting lovely bed sheet skirt (and tanned legs/painted toenails to accompany -gorgeous).

Rae said...

Oh, I love those fancy house-sitting gigs. How blessed a summer!

h&b said...

*awesome*

Stunning pics, Madam !!

h&b said...

'Madam' isn't offensive .. is it ?!

( looks pensive and nibbles nails like a certain facebook profile I know )

Fioleta said...

Mt Eliza! nice. Enjoy your summer.