28 February 2009

loosening the knot

The knot that has been in my tummy for the past few weeks loosened last night when we all made it through the day unscathed. Everyone in a fire prone area was put on high alert yesterday due to the four big fires still burning and the awful weather conditions that were predicted. Hundreds of schools, kindergartens and childcare centres were closed, including all the ones around here, although not the two my children attend (one goes to a school out of our area that is in quite a suburban, built-up setting, and the other two go to a school that chose to remain open). So although our day was one kind of normal, in other ways it certainly wasn't. In the morning we packed up the car in case we couldn't come home that night. Clothes, laptop, photos, File of Important Documents, musical instruments, a couple of special things (a prized scooter, soccer ball, my sock yarn [shut up] and some other paperwork) all went into the car along with the blankets and water bottles and breathing masks that always live in there, and we set off as if for school and work as usual. The roads were eerily quiet without the school traffic, and the shops in the village didn't look like they were setting up for the day. Everyone I spoke to had planned to get out for the day.

All day long I had the ABC radio streaming on my computer at work (love that technology sometimes) and kept the CFA website refreshing every ten minutes while I pretended to concentrate on tasks. All was calm. The firies held the fires' containment lines and the weather didn't live up to the dire promises. Mr Soup left work early to collect Son #3, the dog and then the older boys and we all met that evening in a park deep in suburbia for a fish and chip dinner and to wait out the cool change. The change arrived with no lightning strikes or fresh fire outbreaks and eventually we went home and off to bed as usual.

And now the knot is definitely looser, at least until it begins to curl inward again in preparation for next Tuesday which is said to be the next worrisome day, weather wise. The car remains packed.

Today is the last day of this godawful summer and tomorrow I will embrace autumn wholeheartedly.

In the spirit of loosening and freedom, (pathetic attempt at an elegant segue), I share with you now the top I made at last craft weekend. The fabric is some kind of linen blend in a midnight blue, of which I found metres and metres at the op shop, and the pattern is from a Japanese craft book, with, (um, hello!) instructions in Japanese. With the help of my sewing guru who in particular showed me a very nifty way of cutting continuous bias binding from one small square rather than wasting masses of fabric by cutting diagonally across it, I got it done and am very proud. I do love its gathered looseness and simplicity.

7 Feb : linen smock

I also made a[nother] a-line skirt, this time out of a dark grey stretch denim.

charcoal stretch denim A-line skirt

Wore it once and decided it was altogether too bland.

15 Feb : scribble

Ah, that's so much better.

Oh, we also went swimming on that craft weekend. Good fun.

23 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

I wondered if your schools were closed. I read a thing about a Daylesford man who said that closing the schools was a good thing for people who were conflicted about the stay-or-go decision, it meant one less decision.

Blue Mountains Mary said...

Thank goodness.

Melissa said...

Of course you would take sock wool. Duh. I would.

Suse said...

When I got to work I realised I hadn't packed my hand knitted socks! They are now in the emergency suitcase.

willywagtail said...

My thoughts are with you. It is better to be safe than sorry. Cherrie

Janet said...

yes, roll on Autumn. And some rain too please. I love that smock top you made, so cool on you.

lisette said...

gorgeous gorgeous clothes - how did you go with the japanese pattern deciphering? i have a japanese knitting book that i can't decode no matter how hard i glare at it.

am so glad you're safe - even in inner suburbia we have been checking the cfa sites and listening to the abc. like janet i can't wait for autumn and some good honest rain (i hope)

Penni said...

Yeah, eff off summer.
I took my knitting too.

herhimnbryn said...

glad your tummy is settling. Those garments you made are quite very simply beautiful. You will have to show us the bias binding thingy!

eurolush said...

So glad to hear Friday's past and all is safe. The top and skirt are beautiful...not that I'd expect any less from you. Love the embellishment on the skirt--the starry design. Perfect! You're going to get lots of compliments, I'll bet.

Emma said...

You and your region were on my mind all day yesterday. I am so relieved that things weren't as bad as forecast. I don't know where I'd begin packing the car in those circumstances.

Love and prayers to you and all Victoria.

docwitch said...

Roll on autumn indeed. Hope Tuesday passes with calm uneventfulness.

I love your sewing! Fabbo top. Those Japanese patterns are gorgeous, but the instructions are a little intimidating at first.

Zoe said...

I hope you all stay well. I was using some newspaper today to put under a tray of bickies, and there was a notice for a memorial service for a young couple and their three young children.

Makes me shut up about my own whiny shit ..

Hyena In Petticoats said...

I am SO putting in a request for a tutorial on that bias binding trick....!

Here's to Autumn - my favourite season, and hopefully there'll be lots of lovely rain to go along with it. A girl can still dream, surely?

Glad all and sundry are safe and well. And I would have packed the sock yarn too.

Leah xxx

Paula said...

Yarn is IMPORTANT.

zephyr said...

heaving huge sigh on your behalf. Cannot imagine packing up the car and not knowing if you can come home at the end of the day.
so glad it was a calm, cooler day than expected.
And that you have your priorities straight: favorite scooter and yarn, YES!

MsCellania said...

I bet all of Austrailia will breathe a collective looong sigh of relief when the days shorten, the weather turns continuously cooler, and there is SOME RAIN.
We have 100,000's acres of beetle-killed 100 year old pine trees, every one of them an incindiery bomb waiting for a spark. Nobody is talking about it. But everybody is thinking about it, if they are smart.

blackbird said...

Love the skirt, ADORE the blouse, continuously praying for your safety.

The Awakened Heart said...

I know exactly how you feel. We spent the entire week at hubby's parents house due to Upwey fire being a little too close for comfort. I think that the horror of the other fires still lives too brightly in our minds at the moment. No chances are being taken. I'll be off the mountain on Monday again. Glad you and yours are safe. Hugs

Di said...

I do adore the top (blushes re your glowing comment).
Good luck for next week!

Fran said...

Thinking of you lots.
LOVE LOVE LOVE that top

Anonymous said...

I wish you well for tomorrow! Let's hope the weather is more like friday - doesn't get to the expected forcast (especially where the winds are concerned).
Dinksy

Elizabeth said...

Good luck for today, hope you have all got out & are not doing any bloggy stuff (because I want you all to be safe, not because I don't like the blog). BTW Loved the clothes you made.