1 February 2009

too hot to type in complete paragraphs

29 Jan : the sky was dramatic tonight

You know it's hot when you read out the forecast with a shout of "Only 35 degrees tomorrow!" and the rest of the family whoops with glee.

Yep, as every Melburnian blogger has already said, we've just had the worst heatwave in a hundred years, with about four days (I've lost count as my brain has melted) of around 43 or 45 degrees. Celsius.

1 Feb : the big sort out before the school year begins

The children return to school tomorrow and we now officially have two teenagers (two high schoolers!) in the house and only one left in primary school. My life is flitting away before my very eyes.

rusty building

Yesterday I had the very good fortune to spend the day with likeminded craftsters at Sewjourn, (NOT pictured above) courtesy of Jan and her very generous online competition recently. I took Janet as my guest and we spent the day eating magnificent food, basking in airconditioned temperatures, chatting with master quilters and other bloggers, and sewing. I had grand plans of making two skirts and a pair of pants, a sleeveless top and then sitting on the couch with my knitting when I'd finished all that. Well ... you know, I made one skirt. Almost. Just the hem to go. I really should have cut out the fabric before I left.

I've raved about Sewjourn before, (pictured THERE on THAT link) and no doubt will again as the majority of our regular craft retreats are to be held there from now on, barring next weekend's retreat which was already booked. Suffice to say, if you're after a place to stay that has full sewing/crafting/artwork facilities in addition to beautifully appointed accommodation, look no further.

rusty building

I took no photos at Sewjourn this time, but plenty on the way home.

old barn

It's still hot. It's nearly 11pm and I'm sitting in front of a fan, underneath a ceiling fan, with an enormous glass of chilled rose in my hot little hand, and the week ahead promises to be another hot one. Although in the 30s rather than the 40s. Thank god.

28 Jan : swimming with the dogs, ducks and um, a snake

We spent this afternoon at the river, cooling off and celebrating the last day of the school holidays.

Tomorrow a new year begins. Hopefully with more coherent blog posts.

24 comments:

clare said...

We have been spending a lot of time in the river too . I love those shed photos .
clares craftroom

Gina said...

That river looks very welcoming given the heat you're having. Your first photograph is stunning.

hazeljoy said...

oh my. i wish our temps would meet somewhere in the middle, you could have some of our chill for a smidgen of your heat? amazing photography as always

alice c said...

In England we grind to a halt if there is a heatwave of 30 degrees Centigrade or half an inch of snow. No backbone, I'm afraid.

Today we are anxiously awaiting snow...

ThirdCat said...

why are those crayons not melting?

eurolush said...

Gorgeous photos (as always). The clouds are positively heavenly.

Sewjourn sounds very cool.

PS-Are those German crayons you have there?

PPS-I'm coveting that river!

Serena said...

What lovely photos--the one of the sky, especially!

kim tori said...

My theory is when the temperature reaches above a certain level (say, 35-37) anything above that feels no different - it's just hot. Love that the dog has joined in on the river action!

katiecrackernuts said...

I grew up in inland, so river swimming is my thing. I don't mind crawling over river rocks and the feel of drifting roots on your legs. I am on the coast now and look at that great expanse of ocean and long for a river bank. I have been thinking of you all in this heat. The river is where I'd be too.

Tinniegirl said...

It was a fabulous day. I love all those gorgeous sheds that you photographed. Beautiful shots.

kim at allconsuming said...

We had one day in the 40s and it sent me crazy. Any number of such days in a row would see me institutionalised.

Victoria said...

I am absolutely taken by the old shed photos. Heat wave just breaking here right now with a storm (just a bit of a storm).
Yes, definately 2009 starts today.

Eleanor said...

I've been thinking of you in that heat! Glad to see that you are all safe and sound.

Penni said...

Yes, wasn't it hot?
Beaut pics as always.
Where in the river do you swim (I ask so I can lurk in the trees and get a look at you in your bathers, naturally.)

alice said...

thick snow in south london.

furrybees said...

Despite all protestations about the heat your photos are making me miss Australia :-) A swim in the river on a hot day just can't be beat.

Blue Mountains Mary said...

Gorgeous photos of the sheds - one day I'd like to document all our old Australian sheds - just for the heck of it. The light is beautiful in all of them..

I hope you get better relief soon than mid thirties - that is still too hot!

Bronwyn said...

Hi Suse! It was lovely to have met you at Sewjourn last Sat. What a great day of meeting new bloggers and crafty extraordinaires! Hope we can catch up again sometime for some more.

Shammickite said...

It must be really hot there as it's melted all your pictures.

sewjourn said...

Thanks for coming Suse - really pleased that you enjoyed the day - I had lots of fun and it was great to meet you all.
Jan

RW said...

We are fully entrenched in winter - but are days are slowly becoming longer. I am trying not to wish the days away - enjoy each day for what it brings but I long for spring.

meggie said...

It really is a wonder more people didn't die, as a result of such sustained heat. We have been 'lucky'... only in the 30s with 90something humidity!

newlymade said...

lol my dad would be glad he's moved out of melbourne.. except he moved to fiji! i was wondering how your crayons are holding up too ;) SO envious of your trips to sewjourn!

Stomper Girl said...

So glad I got out of Melbourne for the duration.

That "life slipping away from you" feeling? I had that today at the supermarket (of all places) because both the boys were in school and I had no child with me any more. And I thought "you can't tell I'm a Mum by just looking at me". Which should have felt liberating but just made me feel sad.