7 March 2009

Some random for your weekend

• So this morning I opened up my computer and saw not a single email or comment and I thought Thank heavens, no one saw that pathetic whiny full-of-self-pity post that I wrote last night while under the influence of that large glass of merlot. Whew, I can take it down and no one will ever be the wiser and I can pretend I am perfect and an excellent writer who never splits her infinitives and knows how to put on the happy face when she receives body lotion instead of a camera for her birthday. And then there was a clunk as the modem whirred into life and boom, 32 comments exploded into my face so I guess that means I'm sprung.

• Red wine usually makes me a) sleepy or b) slightly whacko but never c) maudlin so ... note to self, don't drink that crappy Mclaren Vale stuff again stick to the Mornington Peninsula.

• Thanks for the birthday wishes. It's tomorrow. International Women's Day.

• Mother Nature, I have had enough of you. First, three weeks of fires, now a freaking earthquake. All the windows rattled and everybody looked accusingly at the dog. Then Facebook went wild with people in Melbourne saying "Caroline just felt the earth move" and "Abigail is Holy f*%k what was that?" and I reported to the husband It wasn't the dog, it was a bona fide earthquake. So yeah, go away for a while Mother Nature.

• I have almost finished another pair of socks but just at the last minute I decided to sabotage myself by casting on for a red scarf. Seventeen rows in! Hooray!

• The garden is sporting that Scorched Earth look, which is depressing as I have some very important guests soon. That's what happens when you have four weeks of MOTHER NATURE ATTACKING YOU.

• The GST tax paperwork is overdue (oops) so I am at home doing that (right after I finish blogging, priorities people) while the others are all at the local hippie market. I told the husband that they don't sell Pentax DSLR cameras at the market but he didn't show any signs of hearing me.

• I am reading Lauren Groff's The Monsters of Templeton on BB's recommendation and enjoying it thus far. I just finished Kate Atkinson's When Will There be Good News? - jeez Louise she is good isn't she? I have listened to The Picture of Dorian Gray on audio tape and it was read by the same actor (Stephen Crossley) who also narrated my previous audiobook (Kate Atkinson's One Good Turn) so that was odd. Jackson Brodie with the same voice as Dorian Gray; it makes the world tilt sideways. And now I'm listening to DBC Pierre's Vernon God Little by a narrator with a strong Texan accent. I don't know who he is because the library stuck their logo sticker over the narrator's name. They're good like that. The last audiobook had the sticker right over the bit that says Please check for xx discs. Ten discs? Seventy two discs? DBC Pierre's protagonist has a bit of a fixation with underwear but he is only 15 (the protagonist, not DBC Pierre). My eldest son is 15, hmmm.

• Okay, you're all caught up now.

lorikeets

22 comments:

willywagtail said...

I guess it is good that I didn't get time to reply to 'that' post then! Things always seem better in the morning. 4.6 is a reasonable quake - I know _ I have lived through 7's and 8's and enjoyed them but then I was a kid in a stable region where very little damage occured. Hope those cute birds don't strip your electric wires like they did at our place. Chin up, keep calm and carry on! Cherrie

ellen said...

Wishing you a happy birthday, although happy sandwiched between fires that I cannot fathom and an earthquake, seems a bit frivolous.
A birthday and recognition however is not frivolous. It gives credence to your being alive, being a caring and loving person, mother, wife and neighbor, a daughter of loving parents, and a contributor to your community and world, not to mention a creative person with humor...on and on..(and yes, a person who absolutely should be tired and exhausted as all Hell after what you and your countrymen have been through.)Take time, rest and sleep..I pray that some rain will keep falling on you and your lovely country.

Penthe said...

Happy Birthday. Missed your maudlin post, but will go and read it now. Am feeling most happy and content after much West Australian shiraz. Leave that SA stuff well alone and head west. No bushfires or earthquakes there recently either.

Good luck with the camera. I am eyeing off many digital SLRs and wishing I'd got that ant out of my old Canon F1.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

So good to read that you're home amd safe . I think you have a right to be maudlin after the last few weeks ....and the Merlot might have helped ? But please tell us you didn't sing "Danny Boy " .

Gina said...

Happy Birthday for tomorrow. Hope you have a peaceful and happy day with no interruptions from Mother Nature!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and I love the way you write. I generally don't laugh out loud when I'm amused, but your blog is so relatable I'm often caught giggling away or yelling "HA!!" by my husband (who assumes I'm in here diligently working on my essay while he wrangles the three girls).

Isabelle said...

So glad you're home safe and sound and in the rain. Happy happy birthday tomorrow. I wish I were a youthful, slender 45.

I didn't read the 37 comments but I assume that they're all telling you that you write VERY WELL INDEED. (I do sometimes squirm at the not-so-good writing of the people who love to write but aren't wonderful at it, but have to remind myself a) that it's their blog and they can write garbledly if they want to and b) that I'm not perfect myself.)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!!! Sorry about lack of camera, that's definitely cause for complaint. Hope things look up - maybe the Easter bunny will oblige? From Sooz who can't get recognized through blogger in order to post this comment!

Blue Mountains Mary said...

I have a feeling the important visitors will be more interested in you and your family than the scorched earth.

May gentle rain fall on your land and warm love surround you on your birthday.

SharonH said...

Suse - its nice to see you are human - just like the rest of us... Yep we felt the earth move over here too - as I was lying on the bed at the time - I knew instantly it wasn't the pandol I have been taking... My niece who lives at Mitcham rang with 'Sharon - did your house just move????' She was home alone at the time and a little concerned - my eldest daughter also lives at Mitcham and she thought that perhaps it WAS the red she was drinking that was responsible for making her world shake... Yet my 97 old father who lives in the same neck of the woods - didn't feel a thing...

Stomper Girl said...

That was me, that Caroline who felt the earth move, and it was NOT a Hemingway reference. Just so you know. Ahem.

Happy Birthday Dear Suse. If no-one comes good with that camera you just go out and buy one for yourself, tell 'em I said so. xx

Courtney said...

More fun birds outside your house!! Have a very happy birthday and hopefully some sort of boring, plain weather!

manda said...

Happy Birthday! we were born on the same day :-) although maybe a few years apart ;-) .. hope your day is wonderful.

sherry said...

Happy Birthday, Suse!

katiecrackernuts said...

Tee hee. I read this comment first, so pretty funny. Happy birthday. Go and bloody well buy yourself the DSLR ... and then tell me what you think because I'd also like a Pentax and have been saving and saving and if any teen asks me to cover the cost of another car (and I'll pay you back in four easy installments - ha) I'll throw up on them and tell them to poop with their car I'm buying a camera and if they think they can they can put wheels on it and drive it. OK. Breathe. And I've had no wine, but would really like some. My 15-year-old bought me two bottles of Merlot for my birthday (another Pisces ;)). Yes, don't ask how a 15-year-old bought me wine - I'm choosing to believe he had "mature" adult help. Sigh. Good luck with the spinning class. Can't wait to see the results.

THirdCat said...

Okay, so say what you like about our soccer team, but "crappy McLaren Vale"...ahem...and ahem again...two words: Fox Creek. Another word: Vixen. If you don't believe me, ask Pavlov's Cat.

Crappy.
*flicks hair in manner of Kim*

PS Happy Birthday.

Suse said...

I was wondering how long it would take 3C or Pav to bite.

(I love McLaren Vale wines ...)

Marg said...

I didn't feel the earthquake either, or maybe I just thought it was my son jumping around in the loungeroom a lot and just ignored it. Do you think I should ask for a replay and pay more attention this time!

Happy Birthday!

amy said...

Love the beautiful birds.

M said...

Catching up to say Happy Birthday. I hope your day was a great one.

It was amazing to find out about the earthquake via Twitter rather than any of the old 'normal means'.

meggie said...

Belated Happy Birthday!

The Awakened Heart said...

Belated Happy Birthday! I too felt the earth move and was totally freaked out. For a second I thought my new house was about to tumble down around my ears and then i thought I had turned into Carrie and was experiencing poltergeist phenomenon of the enth degree. When will it end, I ask you? I was thinking of you when we finally got some torrential rain last week. We were knee deep in bloody sand bags and water as we had blocked the guttering downpipes to prevent embers from getting in. Mother Nature sure has a dark sense of humour. Looking forward to that chat and cuppa sometime soon.