8 April 2009

Roy G Biv : indigo and violet

most complicated lace socks ever

I ran out of steam with the rainbow thing so here are indigo and violet thrown in together. Just look at this yarn in a different light and I'm sure you'll see indigo in one shot and violet in the other. Yes you will.

most complicated lace socks ever

See?

hand dyed sock yarn

I had a big Kool Aid dyeing session after work the other day and dyed half a dozen skeins of sock wool for the etsy shop. And then I promptly cast on a pair of socks with the grape coloured skein. Whoops.

4 April : Kool Aid dyed sock yarn for the etsy shop

One of those candy pinks has since been over dyed so it's a stronger red, and one of the greens is a lovely soft apple green.

On a roll, I spent most of Monday dyeing everything I could lay my hands on, with professional acid dyes this time. I dyed lots of sections of thrifted blanket for homemade felt, a playcloth in a moss colour (I have this theory that there's a market for muslin playcloths in natural colours, in addition to the omnipresent rainbow colours they come in) and lots and lots of sock yarn and thrifted and recycled yarns from my stash. I am experimenting with greens, and also trying to find the perfect red. I'm leaning towards sock yarn in solid colours these days rather than variegated (to show off stitch patterns) but I did do one lovely strawberries and cream sock skein (bottom row, in the middle). Can't wait until they're all skeined up and looking pretty.

this I what I did today

After Easter I'll skein these all up and pop them in the etsy shop. It's looking a little sad in there right now, although there are a few lovely skeins still in there if anyone wants them!

In the meantime, please help me with my mantra for Easter ... Camping is fun, camping is fun, camping is fun, camping is fun ... it will not rain, it will not rain, it will not rain.

20 comments:

Blossom said...

mmmmmm so much yumminess there!!!!
What ply are they??
mmmmmmm starting sock knitting myself.....could be a slippery slide!!LOL!!!

innercitygarden said...

I just spent a lot of money on a Kathmandu raincoat (40% off, but still, a lot of money) so there's no chance of it raining at all.

And yes, camping is fun, camping is fun, camping with a two year old will be fun...

Blossom said...

sorry to rain on your parade...(ROFL!!!!) but it ALWAYS rains at Easter.
always!!!

Jodie said...

I'd love to see some of your blanket dyeing!
camping??? I have heard tell of it...Good luck

Tania said...

Camping is fun, camping is fun...but it will only not rain if you stay at home. Sorry, it's an official Sod's Law.

BabelBabe said...

if you were here, it'd be snowing. Does that help?

and how about "A nice hotel with indoor plumbing, a nice hotel with indoor plumbing, a nice hotel with indoor plumbing..."

rachel Bingham said...

Not only is camping fun, just think of the lovely smells! Of the outside of course and all the sounds:) I love love love your blog. I'm not a big blog reader because I can't look at a computer screen for too long but yours I read every bit of when ever I can.

Jen said...

Oooh I'm swooning. Just gorgeous. I've ordered myself some natural yarn, and am going to try my hand at kool-aid dying.

crafty said...

I like your theory, and I love moss green.

Pack ALL your rain gear, boots, coats, tarps, umbrellas, everything.... it won't rain if you're prepared.

The Antidote said...

Violet socks, definately my favourite so far x

MsCellania said...

I love that mossy green on the bottom!
Best wishes for the camping trip. You are a brave woman.

Jo Windmill said...

Yummy Mossy greens...yes I think there is indeed a need for muslin cloths in earthy natural dyes.
Breathe in that fresh air camping and take plenty of dry socks!

Sue said...

Great site. It's a happy place. The photos are wonderful as are your projects. Thanks for sharing.

fifi said...

Ick. Camping.


How I love the skeins of wool hanging together....it remins me that winter is oming and I can wear my Beautiful Suse Scarf....goody!

Michelle said...

oh i love the colours...
and i hadn't realized that you have changed you layout for comments....
now i can comment yah!!!
i remembered you had a easy pattern or link to knitted wristlets...would i be able to get the info off you...i think i could need a set before winter starts...thanks...

Isabelle said...

Camping is... it's so hard to type with my fingers crossed behind my back... but you are made of stronger stuff than I. Have fun. I'm sure you will.

Bec said...

I'm with Blossom - it always rains at Easter. I do hope it rains around you, though.

Stitchingmum said...

Gorgeous dyeing Suse, you've inspired me to perhaps pull out my supplies from the cupboard!! And i do hope your camping trip was fun - I love camping, and Easter seems to be the time for it!

persiflage said...

I love the yarns and the gorgeous colours.
But camping? I have never gone camping. The very idea fills me with dread. Creature comforts are more my scene.

Fix design said...

Oohh, love the colours!! Almost makes me want to knit! Almost. I cant knit to save myself! I'll leave it to the experts and enjoys your spoils. ;)