5 April 2009

thorpedo[s]

Thorpe up close

This is the hat mentioned yesterday that I made for the eldest child. He picked up an earflap hat in a shop the other day and asked me to buy it for him. I looked at the price ($20) and said I could knit that, expecting him to roll his eyes and walk away. Instead he said Ok!

The minute we got home I dragged him to the stash basket[s] and he chose blue and black, but when I explained the black was too fine and I didn't have enough to hold the yarn double, he asked if I could hold the black yarn double with red. Sure! Anything! My fifteen year old son wants something handknitted by me? In dubious colours? With yarn held double for two of the three colours, interspersed with single threads of the third colour? And I don't have enough of the first colour?! Sure thing!

Son #1's Thorpe hat
Please excuse the fact that the sofa cushion is upside down, with the zip at the top. It had been used as a car ramp by the ten year old until five seconds prior to this shot and I didn't notice it was the wrong way up.

I cast on while watching Tess of the D'Urbervilles and then it sat on the coffee table untouched for a whole week. Until I picked it up again to watch The Hours and finished it off.

2 April : Thorpe hat

He loves it and assures me he WILL wear it. (And he has, all day, and even out in public).

And now ... prepare to be even more impressed ... da na na na ...

Son #3 was so in awe of this new hat he went and raided the stash basket[s] last night, found some old hand dyed green from my very first dyeing adventures last year, and demanded I knit one for him.

Thorpe II

I cast on last night and got a fair way in. This morning Son #3 burst into my bedroom holding the knitting and requested I continue knitting. I demanded sustenance in the shape of a cup of tea (with toast and fig jam please) and continued. A brief foray out to the local farmers market to stock up on outrageously expensive organic celery and beetroot, followed by a hilarious Greyhound Playgroup session for the hound, and then back to the knitting.

5 April : Thorpe II

Voila. Two hats finished on consecutive days. He declared it awesome and has worn it all day long.

The pattern is of course Kristen's fabulous Thorpe available at Through the Loops here, and further details are ravelled here and here if you're interested (and a member of Ravelry which you totally should be).

Son #2 is giving me the poor neglected middle child eyes now. Sigh ... I foresee a third Thorpe this week.

24 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

So it's just as well he's not the eldest of nine , then ! Those hats are so cool ( said she , sounding even more creakingly ancient than usual ) . i love the red , black and blue mix .

Gina said...

Great hats... you can't possibly leave out your middle child though. Look forward to seeing hat no. 3!

floatingink said...

Wonderful hats! And how lovely that your kids appreciate hand-knits. Mine? Not so much. Sigh.

Rachel said...

What an achievement - 2 sons wanting hand knitted hats!

But I really want to know more about Greyhound Playgroup now.....

kmkat said...

On the extremely rare day that one of my somewhat older boyz requests a handknit, I will respond exactly as you did. Tell #3 Son that I especially like his choice of color. Yay, you!

Anna of Helylle said...

Wonderful hats - wonderful boys!! And a wonderful mum, no doubt. Well done.

The Antidote said...

Love Love Love the hats, hope mine still want to wear hand knits when they are teenagers.
Was it the BBC Tess?, we got it last autumn and I think it is the best I have seen.

froginthepond said...

That would be the real reason I stopped at 2. I never really got over being the middle child (sobs).

I reacted similarly when my 7yo lad asked for a zipped hoodie, in black, with flames all over it. Of course! (wincing) No problem! (gets out the acrylic felt for flames). He wears it, he loves it.

agemel1 said...

I want to mnake that hat for my 14 year old too. But i am scared of the crochet edge. Can i just skip this?

Eleanor said...

This is simply brilliant. Brilliant!!

meggie said...

Lovely to think your sons are so happy to have their hats. I don't think I could have got my sons to wear a hat for love nor money!

sue said...

They look fantastic. I love the green color the best with the black trim. What a perfect hat to wear in this cold weather we seem to be having too.

katiecrackernuts said...

Wow, rad, cool, grouse ... did I use rad. Think I have just shown how un-cool I actually am. Your knitted hats are way cooler.

MildlyCrafty said...

It's so exciting when someone wants you to knit something for them isn't it?! My dad called me out of the blue one day and asked if I could knit him a beanie, I was thrilled and dragged him to Sunspun at the first opportunity.

I really like that pattern, perhaps I'll start one myself right now :)

Stomper Girl said...

They look great! I would like to make a knitted earflap hat so I checked out the pattern but either I can't read knitting patterns (highly likely) or it's not a beginner level item.

MsCellania said...

Those hats are wonderful! No wonder they are eagerly wearing them.

shula said...

I bow to your round knitting skills.

And did I hear someone say 'fig jam'?

victoria said...

Love that green color and the fact that they both demanded hat from you, maybe all their friends will want one too and there will be no end to it. I'm feeling happy to now know that out there in the big world there is greyhound playgroups and scottish restaurants...

Suse said...

Uh, you do know which scottish restaurant I'm referring to don't you darl?

But yeah, greyhound playgroup is awesome.

Laura Jane said...

BRILLIANT WORK!!!!

Those hats are extremely gorgeous, and I am delighted (but not as much as YOU are) that they are to be worjn in public! OMG! They will be the signature accessories of the season.

Can't wait to see the third one!

fifi said...

oh, you clever girl.
My son has the bought in a shop version. he looks beautiful in it but of course it isnt as nice as these ones.

The lait bits are light coloured: we call it the "dirl" hat because when he wears it he looks like a sweet little dirl with blond plaits.

Funny how those baby mispronunciations never seem to quite go away....

Elizabeth said...

Err...Greyhound playgroup? Very impressed that your sons have spontaneously requested and worn the hats..and of course love the hats!

Janet said...

hee, hee I just got the scottish restaurant thing!

I love your hats, especially the red, blue and black one. Not at all a dubious colour combo IMO. I can see that hat getting cooler and cooler the more worn in it gets.

Ann Martin said...

How exciting the boys are appreciative of your knitting! I think that's just great - may it long continue.... and that they never hit the jaded teen-angst phase!