1 May 2009

embracing the wonk

That's the new mantra ... Embrace the wonk. Embrace the wonk.

25 April : copying the master photographer

Craft weekend last weekend had its fair share of wonk and the like, what with tops and pants made that don't fit, a cardigan with holes, the cutting out of a very simple wrap around pattern and then noticing that one of the panels had the wrong edge along the selvedge so the grain is totally skew whiff (cue banging of head on sewing table), a broken toe (but she managed to not spill a drop of wine. Priorities, people) and the small matter of an overdue essay ... There were a few mutterings heard about being cursed with a collective case of the EITTTSs and yet it was, as per usual, a weekend of hilarity, productivity, creativity and adrenalin. Except for the final hour when I flagged in a major way and just wanted to be home, now, before twilight, before I got weepy, and to prepare for a huge work day ahead. Note to self: know your limits.

I spent a good deal of time on the Saturday at the dining room table writing an essay which nearly killed me, knowing everyone else was over in the studio madly sewing and knitting and singing (apparently) and laughing. However by late afternoon I weakened and the conclusion to the paper was written under the influence of a glass of chardonnay. Suddenly everything went swimmingly, Janet managed to finish her quilt at the same time as I knocked over the essay, she came in to show it off (chanting embrace the wonk, embrace the wonk) and we did the happy dance around the dining room, to the accompanying fragrance of Sue's chicken risotto (also produced under the influence of a glass of chardonnay).

Also happily, I managed to score the Princess Room this time, the most sought after bedroom at Sewjourn. Such a luxury.

I got the Princess Room this time

Beautiful, no?

26 April : sunlight in the Princess Room

So serene.

I got the Princess Room this time

As for the actual craft side of craft weekend, I managed to finish a hat for Son #2 using an op shop light grey and some red chunky yarn from my recent dyeing session. No pattern this time, just a generic knit-in-the-round kind of hat with a few garter rows thrown in for interest. This one is a success with the sartorially fussy child, unlike the previous hat which he ever so kindly donated to his father after one wear.

the long awaited hat for Son #2

I also cut out a wrap around skirt (and banged my head at my stupidity), some little linen bird ornaments as a whimsical essay-completion celebration, learned how to do a short row heel (messily) and cast on for a shawl with some olive 8ply yarn from the aforementioned dye session.

30 April : Wool Peddler's Shawl

How I love me a bit of mindless garter stitch. With no wonk in sight.

20 comments:

two little buttons said...

only started reading your blog and i love it. sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. very creative

jus said...

A medicinal Chardonnay,lovely. Now that is something that should be subsidised by Pharmac!

fifi said...

HOW productive, wonky or no.

And so pretty you are in the Princess Room.

Tania said...

I am sitting at the computer WORKING, though possibly not in an overly productive fashion and am really just desperate to get my hands on the fabric sitting on the floor to the left of me, which wants to be a quilt. It wasn't helpful, scrolling down to see the quilt fit for a princess - there was an audible gasp.

tut-tut said...

Did you notice? Quite a green theme going. What a great first photo. Very arty and artful.

My WF: suixae. wonder what it means . . .

Bec said...

I want those silver birds.

Do I have to be a Princess to get them?

Badger said...

I love love LOVE the color of that olive-green yarn. GORGEOUS. You must show us the finished product!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I will put my teachers hat on and say - well, done for completing your essay... but the crafter side of me is in pain... such sacrifice. However, writing interruptions and all, it sound lovely.

Janet said...

oh I think you may have captured the feel of this one so well! love that hat and you so deserved the princess bed this time...

Clementine's Shoes said...

Indeed you definitely deserved the princess room for all that diligent essay writing! I had a similar head banging moment with my simple wrap skirt and look how that turned out (after some wonk embracing!)...
Looking forward to the next one :)

katiecrackernuts said...

I love your stories. Love them.

Stomper Girl said...

What is the system for getting the princess room? Do you just bags it? Or draw straws?

Jodie said...

I am heading there soon soon soon but alas I do not think the princess room is for me.

M said...

Yay! Now I have my sewing project. That lovely quilt has inspired me to try a similar one, except made from my grandmother's old floral sheets. So lovely but so near their end (the middle bits you understand).

That is after I knit me some socks with some precious hand-dyed yarn...

Congrats on the princess room!

Mama Randa Morning Glory said...

Embrace the wonl.... such a wonderful idea but yet so hard to do!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful quilt on the bed ....

herhimnbryn said...

Ha! I love the 'embrace the wonk' idea. I shall go forth and do so!

Apple Flower Tea said...

Cutting out is always the most stressful part - so hard to rectify mistakes. Well done getting through that essay under such conditions! THAT is commitment!

Mary said...

Look I am very happy to embrace the wonk but I am overcome with at least one of the seven deadly sins in relation to that quilt on the bed.

cosymakes.com said...

i predict that some day he'll regret giving away that beautiful first hat!! silly kids.