15 May 2009

The Friday night random has become a tradition

10 May : stash

I've been sewing again. For those of you who come here for the craft (you poor disappointed sods).

For those of you who come for literary reasons, I have just finished reading Tales from Firozsha Baag by Rohinton Mistry. Almost as good as his A Fine Balance. God he's good isn't he? I'm listening to The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory and am quite enthralled.

And for the rest of you who come for the minestrone, (thank you to Jane for that term) I offer a completely unGoogled* list of my imaginary love interests, in chronological order:

* unGoogled so I don't have the correct names

Zebedee from The Magic Roundabout

Jason Donovan's mum [Sue Someone] on Adventure Island (I wrote her a fan letter when I was five) (she wrote back too) Sue McIntosh! Thank you!

Jimmy from HR PufnStuf (although the program itself made me deeply anxious)

Great Uncle Bulgaria

Major Nelson

Mr Ed

Hazel in Watership Down

Monsieur Hulot

Juliet Stevenson's character in Truly Madly Deeply

Jackson Brodie

the Japanese translator in Bel Canto

that woman from The Forsyte Saga. Also her final husband. Irene, thank you!

Mr Darcy and Mr Knightley both

Lizzie Bennet too

Alan Rickman's character in Love Actually

Cary Grant's characters in just about everything he's done

Henry in The Time Traveller's Wife

Hugh Laurie in Blackadder

Queenie in Blackadder

I'm sure there are more but I'd need another beer to dredge them up. Besides, I have 200 more stitches of my shawl to unpick before I can go to bed.

Don't ask.

22 comments:

Claire said...

Love it! Now I feel compelled to compile a list of mine!

Gina said...

Fabulous list - share many of them and now keep thinking of others!

Uli said...

That's a great list. Anything that includes Uncle Bulgaria and Hugh Laurie can't be wrong.

Fiona said...

Gold, all of it! I was hoping Mr Darcy would make an appearance. Also, totally with you with Mr Ed. Fantastic. :)

maryanne said...

I think she is actually Sue Donovan- my little sister had a bit of a crush when she was about 5...

Jen said...

Aw, I still miss Jack Wild. :( What a horrible way to go.

Badger said...

Mr. Ed! I almost forgot about him! And I had a rocking horse named after him and everything.

BabelBabe said...

Jackson Brodie rocks my world.
So does mr Knightley.

Tan Family said...

Great list! I love your blog.

wallace said...

Sue McIntosh(Donovan) nee Menlove went to school with my mother - she's lovely.

Jess said...

Irene Forsyte? I've been rewatching the (newer) miniseries and dragging it out because I don't want it to end.

I kept sighing over various items on your list. I like it.

freefalling said...

HR PufnStuf used to freak me out, too.
Especially, those trees (and the witch and the flute).

librarygirl said...

I share(d) lots of your love interests. ( Re Time Traveler's wife - this is of course why as a librarian my internet name is Librarygirl!)
Also - going to boast here - saw Alan Rickman and Juliet Stevenson together in the RSC "As you like it" in 1986. In London. Still treasure the programme.

docwitch said...

Rohington Mistry is The Bomb. I have a massive crush on him based on nothing more than reading his books. Love. Him.
And I'm nearly finished The Queen's Fool - fab romp. Love Gregory's characterisation of Queen Mary.

As for crushes - Jimmy from HR PufnStuf was my first crush, (or rather he followed straight after Kimba the White Lion). And yes! That show was definitely anxiety-making...
Also have to concur on Mr Darcy, Cary Grant, Henry TTW), the Japanese translator, Juliet Stevenson and Alan Rickman, (the latter in anything).

Disturbingly, I had a crush on Rowan Atkinson (yet not the highly fanciable Hugh Laurie - weird) in Blackadder. I really probably shouldn't admit to that though.

Isabelle said...

Goodness me, I wouldn't fancy either Mr Darcy or Mr Knightley. Much too pleased with themselves. I'd prefer Mr Bingley - cheerful and modest. Or Bagpuss. Did you get Bagpuss in the southern hemisphere, I wonder?

meggie said...

I loved Uncle Bulgaria too. What a great list. A few I had forgotten all about.

peppermintpatcher said...

I don't watch House because I love Black Adder Hugh Laurie. The two just don't go together and it bothers me.

crafty said...

For me it was Fiver from Watership Down, Simon from Lord of the Flies, and Fireman Sam.

Stomper Girl said...

Oh yes, yes, YES to Hugh Laurie in Blackadder and Alan Rickman in pretty much anything even if he did make poor Emma Thompson break down to the strains of Joni Mitchell. But I'm telling you to keep your eyes OFF Major Nelson. Just sayin. He's spoken for.

Also did you not love Damian Lewis in the Forsyte Saga? OH. MY. GOD. The suppressed passion in that performance. Not nearly so sexy in Life.

Belinda said...

Oh yes, I'm right with you on Henry in The Time Traveller's Wife, sigh.
and - Hugh Laurie in almost anything.
and Mr. Darcy.
Great list Suse.

Kate said...

Hazel was the best! What about Timmy from Rats of Nimh, in the animals theme.

Also Alan Rickman in everything ever, for me!

Gina E. said...

As I only got as far as fourth form in 1963, I'm wondering if the word invigilator came into use after then? You said on Isabelle's blog it is in use in Australia. Perhaps only in academic circles?