19 June 2009

a Friday, in no chronological order

15 June : sunny winter's day

Once upon a time Suse sat by her fire, drinking stout and eating fish and chips for dinner. Her eldest boy was spending the night elsewhere and she could hear her younger two in the adjoining room laughing with the hysteria of Friday night as they played table tennis on the dining room table. She watched as her husband wandered about the room, asking if anyone had seen his book, his glasses, his sanity.

Once upon a time, very close to midwinter, Suse got up very very early indeed and marvelled at the sliver of moon hanging in the ink-dark sky and its neighbouring glittery star. By the time Suse reached her meeting at the top of a not terribly tall building, the city was spread out before her, soft in a shiny mauve and apricot dawn. She watched seven hot air balloons hover above the skyline and laughed as her colleague said you have to have a birthday ending in '0' to ride in one of them. She wished she had brought her camera to the meeting, but acknowledged that it is not usual practice so really she shouldn't be too hard on herself for not having it handy. She daydreamed about the new camera that will arrive on Monday, and decided that at next month's wintry dawn meeting she will take the camera and tohellwithit.

Once upon a time Suse received a message that the dvd of Sense and Sensibility (oh, Mr Rickman!) was awaiting her collection at the library. Having been at work since the shiny apricot dawn, Suse thought it quite reasonable to leave work early in the crepuscular chill of pre-twilight, and she drove and drove and drove, planning a girly evening of knitting and Jane Austen confectionary by the fire.

Once upon a time Suse arrived at the library two minutes after it had closed. And so instead of wine and Regency frocks, Suse decided stout and a good book would have to suffice.

The end.

For Rae, who weaves her fairystories on the other side of the world.

24 comments:

SewHum said...

Thank you .... for the stuff in your head. And always carry your camera -

Gina said...

A delightful tale!

peppermintpatcher said...

Bugger! Although it sounds like a happy ending - at the beginning.

Tania said...

Try as I might, I'm never going to beat 'crepuscular'. Though thoroughly enjoying the use of 'conniption' at the mo. Trust the library does Saturday mornings.

Shammickite said...

When I was in Australia, my cousin taught me that Kangaroos are "crepuscular". I like the way it rhymes with "muscular".

herhimnbryn said...

I hope the stout came in a crystal goblet....................

Suse said...

A vegemite jar.

BabelBabe said...

what are you reading, and can I see pics of the new shawl?

pinry said...

fish and chips by the fire, and children's laughter in the next room, sounds pretty good to me. at least you can still look forward to knitting with jane ...

Rae said...

Yes! It's all so exciting... the camera arriving in the mail, the seven hot air balloons, the anticipation of movie night, the library just.missed! (Been there, drooling and begging at the closed doors- sometimes it works!)

The runner up sounds nice too.

Thanks :)

Badger said...

Oooh! A winter evening's tale, on what is for me a scalding hot summer morning. Just delicious.

Bad luck about the DVD, but I must confess, I almost can't stand to watch that one. Mr. Rickman, all buttoned up and ... I dunno ... REPRESSED like that. It makes me lightheaded and uncomfortable, it does.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Stout and fish and chips !! Rickman can wait .What to eat then .....game pie and claret ?

alice c said...

I was trying to work out if you had emigrated - I can't get my head around the concept of winter in Australia.

alice c said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

Two minutes! That was hard. No wonder you turned to drink....

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I LOVE your story, Suse! I wish you were my neighbor, so I could run over and let you watch my beloved Sense and Sensibility DVD!
Last June, my husband I were in Sydney and we had two or three divine fish and chip dinners. You reminded me of them! We don't have yummy fish and chips in Denver. I'll have to have some next weekend when I fly to Seattle!

Elizabeth said...

Once upon a time on the other end of the world, Elizabeth sits in the warm June evening, after work, after sausages on the barbeque and reads the tale of Suse and is taken away to a far off land, where entertainments are the similarly enjoyed and likewise, the library hours suck.

Stomper Girl said...

I hope the book and the stout was an adequate substitute - I would have considered a trip to the local video hire store and borrowed a copy for $3.

Kate said...

We should all have more once upon a times in our daily lives, I think.

Crepuscular is one of my favourite words - I learnt it because of my bunnies, who are. It's up there with defenstration and my all time favourite, quotidian. Because it isn't.

I made the boy watch S&S the other day. He liked it. I forgot how ANGRY it makes me, though! Although words cannot describe how much I love that scene where Emma Thompson sits on the stairs, amid sobbing women, and drinks her tea. It's possible I over identify...

Those montages from last post were FANTASTIC, by the way. My sister and I watched them at least three times each.

Eleanor said...

All of your posts are fairytales Suse!

P.S. Rae is in your commentbox again! How DO you do it?...Told you....it's all fairytales over here at the Peasoup blog.

M said...

Austen. That's what I need right now. I think I might go get a copy of S&S to read.

RW said...

new camera?
nice.

Shelby said...

I'm in need of some Jane Austen movies.. always makes me feel better. lovely blog here.. simply lovely.

Alby Mangroves said...

In your frazzled state, no wonder you didn't think of the DVD shop..