5 July 2009

back on the horse

I think that might be the longest I've gone without blogging in four years (yes I missed my blog birthday again. 650 posts, four years, go me!)

Anyway I've been very busy wasting time over at Twitter, and playing Wordtwist on Facebook, and other important end-of-semester, end-of-term activities you know. And knitting, and indulging in a full on Festival of Jane Austen. I'm on a mission to watch all the different tv and film versions of the books, am about to read Persuasion, and yesterday I went to the exhibition at the NGV of clothing from the Regency era, featuring a plethora of empire waistlines and possibly, but possibly not, the shirt that Colin Firth wore in the wet shirt scene but the costume mistress can't quite be sure.

Also we went away to the beach for a midwinter weekend "minibreak" (as Bridget Jones would call it) with five other adults and nine children aged 15 to 5.

And I'm trying to come to grips with my new camera. I love it but I want to be brilliant at it instantly. Of course. Still hadn't worked out how to manually set the aperture and then I realised that the lens on the camera is a Sigma not a Pentax and doesn't have an aperture ring like my old style SLR. Okaaay. The manual is, of course, no help at all in a real life practical way. But I love the colours and the clarity and sharpness (except when photographing a speeding greyhound - he always comes out slightly blurry). Also iPhoto doesn't deal with these shots as well as I'd like so now I'm trying to learn The Gimp and that is NOT going well.

It's a huge learning curve and it feels very different from my old film SLR days. Anyway, enough with the whingeing and the first world problems! Stand by to be inundated with photographs you lucky lucky beasts!

First up, a winter weekend at Anglesea. Three families, beautiful sunny skies, a couple of fabulous op shop expeditions (including one that was just me and six children who told their parents they wanted "Suse to take us please!" Oh how wonderful to be considered cool by other peoples' children and to have girl children asking me my opinion on dresses and trashy op shop jewellery. Good times).

seven of the nine children
Seven of the nine children

Sam-I-am
Son #1 looking all teenage and pensive. Note almost straight horizon this time

lookout
Loving that Pentax colour

silvery sea
silvery sea at Pt Roadknight. That romantic looking cloud formation is from the Alcoa smelter I do believe

golden light
Sunset shots on the way home

the drive home was dramatic
The sky was dramatic

Next up, Suse goes to the City. Child free and with her new camera. I know you can't wait.

28 comments:

Rachel said...

A Jane Austen Festival? Lovely! Lucky you. Persuasion has to be my favourite; superb travel listening too, when read in unabridged version by Juliet Stevenson. Would Recommend, as I invariably say in eBay and Amazon feedback.....

Loved your sunset trees shot too - takes me straight back to Oz.

M said...

Love your photos. The pentax colour is certainly lovely.

I'd love to see the NGV exhibition. Another reason I miss Melbourne. Sniff.

Hoping hoping to be there at end August.

Kate said...

That colour IS fantastic - they're super clear, too. Love it.

I took some photos in the city the other day and ALL of them are about two degrees wonky. The same angle, every time. So annoying! And now I'm looking at my old photos and I'd say about 60% of them are the same. I almost wish I hadn't noticed!

Janet said...

happy blogibirthday! four years seems such a long time, but then maybe I won't be thinking that when it's eight or ten! ye gads.

I am loving your pentax colour too. It took me ages to get used to my new camera and even now, there is still much to learn.. but I could never go back.

h&b said...

Oh, now I feel bad!

Control your aperture by using the AV setting - this is like being semi-manual ( because you will set your ap, but not the s/s )
It really is all in the manual - honest!

But if you don't like it, I really will take it back .. I miss it, you know, and people always raved about the colour.

xx

Suse said...

Aaarghh, no don't feel bad, it's ME! Just getting used to it! Didn't mean to whinge about CAMERA, am whingeing about how I'm not used to it immediately blah blah blah.

I LOVE the camera, as I told you!

Ugh, now *I* feel bad ...

peppermintpatcher said...

The photos are glorious. It almost looks warm, but I'm not that easily deceived...

Mary said...

The colours are gorgeous, the clarity amazing - and as L says you can control your depth of field by using aperture priority.

And ironically I am wandering around with a film camera I bought on ebay - and loving it!

Elizabeth said...

Love, love, love it.
You'll always be cool to other people's children, never your own.
And if that's winter in Australia I'll be right over.

daysgoby said...

I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE my Pentax...you're right, superb colour!

My GOD, you take lovely shots.

mckenna and jade and diane said...

Beautiful pictures. The pensive teenager was my favorite. Perfect capture of those agonizing years... that I do NOT wish to go back to. Great job!........jade

Pom Pom said...

I'm glad you are back and the photos are exquisite!

katiecrackernuts said...

You've probably said already, but is the camera a Pentax? I went to buy a SLR Pentax, but the model I'd saved for, I suddenly realised took double A batteries. Eeek, hang on. I can't be changing batteries all the time. The next model up had a Lithium Ion battery, or whatever they're called, but I had to save more. I was offered a Sony for the price of the lesser Pentax, but I've always always had Pentax cameras - my oldest still going and having belonged to my Dad.

Anonymous said...

I have been using GIMP while waiting for Photoshop, however I have discovered a really easy internet editing site called Picnik - it is actually attached to Flickr too. If you go on to the site via internet, it saves your original photo, without you having to do it. Just rename the edited shot. Great site for quick croping & colour & some good effects to if you are in a hurry. Siobhan/Shivi1

mistybliss said...

Happy 'blogbirthday'!
A new camera? Lucky you - your photos are incredible and your minibreak sounds wonderful - i'm looking forward to our minibreak in melbourne next month (with our six kids in tow)!!!

pinry said...

Happy blog-birthday! Your photographs are beautiful! LKooking forward to seeing more ... My camera just died and I'm dreading getting to know a new one. Anglesea looks great - I love the beach in winter.

Luhlahh said...

I get such a kick out of my schoolkids telling me that my sneakers are cool, or that I'm 'deadly'.
Beautiful photos - I've had a digital SLR on loan for the last couple of days, and i am sooo going to save up to buy one...
Enjoy the relaxation and Happy Blogiversary!

librarygirl said...

I must be channeling you because I'm also doing the Jane Austen screen version thing at the moment.
Just watched the stunning Amanda Root - Ciaran Hinds 1995 made for tv film - looks gritty and real and less chocolate-boxy than some of the other Austen adaptions.

docwitch said...

Welcome back...

those pix are very lush...niiiice camera!

I adore having Austen fests. I've been watching the ITV versions of Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park - wonderful, totally frivolous truffles to enjoy mid-winter on the couch.

Knitting Out Loud said...

Gorgeous photos! Lovely to be submerged in Jane Austen world.

Lucy said...

Well, happy 4th Blogiversary, Suse!

Loving new camera - it's hard, isn't it? Learning (re-learning) so much stuff...working beautifully though. I've just a got a Pentax K1000 film camera (first camera at art school) and man, it's hard. All over again.

That last shot, of the sky? Beautiful. XX

Lesley said...

Just have to say how gorgeous that green shawl is (last post), and how wonderful it looks on you. Love love love the hair as well.
I'm naturally dark-haired — or I was — and I wish I had let my hair grey rather than embarking on the lengthy and costly dying process. Sigh.

And yes, the Pentax shots are amazing. I'm still astonished at how clean and clear everything back here is after my time in the US. It's breathtaking.

Lesley said...

PS: Don't worry about the infrequency of your posts - everyone seems to be a bit slowcoachy just lately. Me especially.

Fioleta said...

Beautiful photos. I am looking forward to seeing your shots form the City excursion.

http://4badbill.wordpress.com said...

What a sky!

rhubarbwhine said...

I'm so glad to see you blog again Love the images, gorgeous.

Tan said...

Hi Sue, I discovered your blog the other day when I was searching for a 'recipe' for dyeing wool with food colouring (fantastic!) and after reading through some of your stuff I have to say that I think I have found a kindred spirit - hope that doesn't sound creepy! I have a six year old boy who goes to Steiner school and we dyed our wool together the other day. He is not sure what he wants to make out of it yet.... I am knitting/felting slippers and making fingerless gloves. I will definitely visit your blog again and post the occasional comment. I love that you have the gift of writing it makes a baeutiful read. I could keep writing but it might start to sound like waffle - it's good to keep some things back? Cheers Tanya (Willunga SA)

Eliane Zimmermann said...

your pentax is great and your winter as nice as our irish summer, including those pics of eucalyptus which I being an aromatherapist really do love.