15 July 2009

hot in the city

Except it wasn't because it's winter. But you know. I've got bad 1980s songs in my head.

window

During the school holidays the fifteen year old wanted to go to a rock concert ... a couple of venues in the city do alcohol-free, afternoon concerts for 14-18 year olds before the evening [adult] gig (and hurray for bands and venues that do that!). He's been to a couple before but this one wasn't due to finish until 6pm and the two friends he was going with were going home together on a different train line. We weren't keen on our boy alone on a train on a Saturday evening (it's quite dark at 6pm these days) - are we being over protective? He catches trains and buses on his own all the time, to school, into the city to meet friends etc, but not at night. Especially Friday and Saturday nights. He's petite and quiet and shy and I just think he's an easy target. Anyway, he didn't object when I suggested we all go into the city together, and while he was at the concert we'd go to the gallery or museum, and then all meet up in the evening and catch the train home.

knitting exhibition at Craft Victoria

Except the others, (surprisingly!), weren't too impressed at the prospect of going to the NGV to see the exhibition on clothing from Jane Austen's era. Huh! So the husband took them to the MCG to watch a footy match (pah), and I wandered along Flinders Lane until I reached Craft Victoria. Among other things they had a knitting exhibition which included little signs encouraging you to touch the exhibits. Nice.

On I went, past the cathedral ...

St Paul's Cathedral

... past the spire ...

looking up

... and onto the gallery where I thoroughly enjoyed the clothing exhibition, plus a photography exhibition on NASA space photographs, and then back to the other gallery under the spire where there was an exhibition on the Ballets Russes' influence on Australian ballet. By then the others had joined me and we browsed around the costumes and sketches and watched a video of the whole of Graeme Murphy's Scheherazade, then met up with the rock fan at the train station.

the view from Platform 1

The train journey home was uneventful but I was pleased to see a dark haired woman get on at Greensborough and proceed to knit a sock for the rest of the trip. I said to the teenagers See! I'm not the only one! They rolled their eyes in unison.

A couple of days later I dragged all the children back to the gallery for some school holiday culture and we went to the Salvador Dali exhibition. The boys were initially reluctant but conceded later it was actually good stuff. Son #3's favourite was the jewellery, #2 liked the lobster telephone, and #1 and I liked the film Destino that Dali and Walt Disney made together. If you go, make sure you don't miss that bit.

Dali

Actually I think my absolute favourite part of the NGV is the shop. God I'm such a philistine. But I bought my dad a fab Salvador Dali jigsaw puzzle for his birthday.

20 comments:

dancingmorganmouse said...

the Shop is possibly my favourite part of the NGV too! Don't tell.

Frogdancer said...

No, you're not being overprotective. I wouldn't let a boy that age go on the trains after dark either.

You make me feel like a Bad Mother. Why didn't I think to take the boys in to the Gallery during the holidays? What an excellent idea.

peppermintpatcher said...

I love a gallery/museum shop. I also tell myself that I am helping them to fund further exhibitions with my purchases. That's the sort of generous soul I am!!!

pinry said...

great photos! i love the city, especially the gallery and craft victoria. that knitted artefact looks very fabulous and intriguing.

h&b said...

At the Louvre even, my fave part was the Shop. And we bought TinTin books there.

How shameful.

Leonie Guld said...

I heard the Salvador Dali exhibition was brilliant, I should make the effort to head to melb to have a look Would it be worth a 3.5 hour trip to see it?

rachel said...

No, not over protective at all, but that was a tactful way of handling the need to be sensibly protective.

Gallery shops can be fabulous, although too many of them here sell the same old tat as each other, and lose their individuality.

Janet said...

I love your new look. And your picktures too.

(must go to gallery one day with child)

Little Snoring said...

Sounds like a great day out. I would love to have seen the Grahame Murphy video. Oh and the Dali and the knitting. wonderful.

kmkat said...

Good call on the boy on the train on a Saturday night. Plus you all got a family outing from it. Win-win.

One of my favorite memories of my boys is the time I took them to Chicago to the Art Institute there. They were 18 and 14 at the time, and I let them roam separately on their own for the afternoon. They each had so much to tell about at the end of the day.

Badger said...

Oh, I love a gallery/museum shop, too. There's no shame in that. It's not like you can bring the EXHIBITS home with you, so the shop is the next best thing.

And I'm no judge of overprotective. I nearly had to be sedated the first time my girl child (11 years old) rode her bike a mile from our house to play with a friend in the neighborhood. A WHOLE MILE. Oy.

BabelBabe said...

1) Love your new header.
2) Agree re: boy, but you still need to read Lenore Skenazy's Free Range Kids.
3) Thought of you yesterday evening when I took Primo to movies, and proceeded to knit thru the whole thing. (He wanted to see Ice Age 3 - YAWN. We were both happy then. And he was suitably impressed that i could knit in the dark.)

Jo said...

i worry for my petite, quiet and shy boy too, but you show here with your infinite practicality that it is possible to think laterally and come up with a solution that suits everybody ~ and it sounds like you all had a great time. thanks suse : )

librarygirl said...

I think I read recently that the Gallery actually makes more money from the shop than it does from the entrance fees for the special touring shows - so in fact they WANT and EXPECT you to go in there and spend up big!

Stomper Girl said...

I'm another big fan of the shop and every time I go there I wonder why I don't do all my present shopping there. I'm very keen to see the Dali exhibition despite my friend telling me it's breadth not depth. Both my children really like the Dali 'self-portrait as clockface' they're using in the advertising; it's our favourite bus-shelter ad by far and so much better than the Molly Meldrum one.

Stacey said...

I too love the shop. We visited during the holidays and the boys bought some very cute animal chopsticks.
What a fab day out in our lovely city.
I think you made the right choice in travelling together. What a lovely boy you must have for him to be accepting of that.

herhimnbryn said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all. The best sort of day ( and evening).

innercitygarden said...

Don't feel bad about the shop love - museum industry research shows (and I'm not making this up) that pretty much everyone spends more time looking in the shop than they do in the exhibitions. Probably because you're allowed to pick stuff up in the shop.

Mary said...

I too love the Shop. In any gallery/museum.

And you made me long to jump on a plane and go to the Shop with you.

Or Craft Victoria.

Tan said...

LOL I am so with you h&b, I too just had to buy something at the Louvre shop and very sensibly and (I thought) maturely (for the great age of 27) chose a book on Monet's works which was bound in plastic, only to get home and find it was written in Japanese!! Anyway I can still say that "I bought a book on Monet from the Louvre" and it's sounds cool - right? More LOL