30 August 2009

craft camp: report

craft weekend August 2009

Another craft weekend at Sewjourn has been and gone, the restorative effects fading away already.

This was possibly the most relaxed, low key craft weekend yet. People sat about in the mornings, knitting in their pjs while breakfast cooked, then we wandered into town to admire the blossom, visit the op shop (where I bought a red coat), visit the Beautiful New Shop in Town that sells exquisitries, and buy sensational bread and vegetables from the farmers' market. Then it was back to the cottage for morning tea and finally a stroll over to the studio to actually, um, make something. Back to the cottage for lunch, etc etc and so on.

I still managed to get a couple of things done however. I suppose staying in the studio until 1.00 am both nights facilitated that. Oops.

So, what did I make? I made two jackets using the same pattern, learning some valuable lessons from the first one and ensuring the second one worked perfectly. The first one will be fine once I add some trim to the exposed seams that the pattern didn't warn me about. I'm quite excited about it actually as the jacket is dark brown and the suggestion that I use velvet green ribbon as the contrast trim is just brilliant, thank you Cath. But it was disappointing all the same, not to bring it home as a finished object. (It's not pictured up there in the mosaic as the photos of it were terrible). Also unfinished were my chunky lace shawl, and a brown and white print dress/tunic/top (also not pictured above as I only took one shot and it was blurry - I'm sensing a theme here) but I did manage to almost finish both those items so that nearly counts.

The shawl is now finished and blocked, using my new welding rods as blocking wires. I had been considering purchasing very expensive blocking wires for my ongoing lace knitting obsession, but kept reading on Ravelry forums about using welding rods instead, they being cheaper and more readily available. So off I went to Lancefield Hardware and, following a rather hilarious exchange with the staff there (Steel or brass strength? Um, wool. Que?), managed to buy a set of my very own welding rods. I went with the copper weight in case you're interested. I can report too, that Kool Aid-dyed yarn will stain white welding rods. Consider yourselves warned.

I think I took three times as many photos this time than on previous weekends. It was lovely to have my new camera at Sewjourn and go about taking all the familiar photos that I always take when I'm there, only with a different camera. I had a great time zooming in and out, enjoying the satisfying click of an SLR shutter. Oh, and I found the focus ring, which I believe deserves a post of its own. Can't wait for that one, can you?

What else? I could go on about the wonderful company, the magnificent (as always) food, the relaxing and convivial atmosphere, but I've said it all before. Suffice to say I am reminded afresh of how lucky I am to be part of these weekends and call this group of women my friends. Mostly I'm glad that a place like Sewjourn was dreamt up. Go Jan!

Note: to see the photos individually, along with several not in the mosaic, click here).

19 comments:

sewjourn said...

As always it's a pleasure to have your group stay Suse - and I'm in awe of the fantastic photos you girls take! I've a little pile of things you left behind this time so will be in touch to return them.....we almost need a storage box up there for you!

Mookah said...

As always, envious of other people's crafty weekends & Sewjourn sound sliek the perfect place.

All those photos are fantastic, obvioulsy the new camera a winner!

fifi said...

Awesome stuff, as always.
Such lovely clothes, and such a beautiful way to spend your time.

Melody said...

Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend. Just slightly jealous... *Melody's eyes turn green*

librarygirl said...

God Melbourne is such a hick town!( spying on your photos I noticed one of your sewjourn buddies is the lovely mum of one of my son's school friends!)

Suse said...

So librarygirl, is it Cath or Jill you know?
Small world :)

librarygirl said...

Jill. We never see each other at school (Grade 6 boys) but she comes to my library and we have caught up in an op-shop recently!
VERY small world...

Suse said...

Jill has been to quite a few of the craft weekends. She's great fun and very inspiring with her amazing textiles and felting :)

Do you have a blog librarygirl? You've made some lovely comments on my blog over the past six months and I can't reply to you, except here in my own commentbox. You were on the same Jane Austen kick I was on recently, right? Feel free to email me (if you would like to that is), as blogger doesn't let me reply to you.

librarygirl said...

No blog! But will email you this week - love to.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

It all sounds lovely . I'm always in awe of how much you manage to do . If I went to this sort of weekend , I'd be so busy gawping at everybody's skills that I'd produce nothing at all ! But it would be great fun .

herhimnbryn said...

It sounds ike the perfect w/e. I do like ' exquisitries'. I shall substitute it for my usual expression of ' gorgious little doodads'.

Isabelle said...

Sounds wonderful, and as for that Kool-Aid-dyed yarn tip about welding rods, well...

Might not need it immediately. But if I ever do, I'll think of you.

Stomper Girl said...

I just love that you call it craft CAMP. So far removed from camping, staying at Sewjourn. Well, from Boy's Camping, anyway. I s'pose it could be a whole new movement: How Girls Camp. With proper delicious food cooked in nicely appointed kitchen, flushing, locking toilets, heated bathrooms, comfortable warm beds NOT IN THE OPEN AIR or on hard ground, access to properly made tea served in bone china, and crafterly activities instead of beach cricket or bushwalking.

trashalou said...

Your 'camp' sounds delicious. One day I shall get to sewjourn, one day.

Janet said...

oh it was loverly wasn't it. I've been waiting and waiting for you to post and then when you did, I was too buggered (by the painkillers) to comment. Exquitries is such a great word.... and your photos are gorge, it's so great we get to go on craft camp together isn't it..gush.

Prism said...

Ooh, I can't even tell you how jealous I am! Out of curiosity, is the jacket you made (or, more accurately the 2 jackets you made) the dark one with the large lapels? I love, Love, LOVE it!

also, about Jan's Sewjourn comment about you leaving stuff behind, in my Psych class we learned that when we love a place (or the people there), we accidentaly leave stuff behind, as our subconcious minds make a reason for us to return. When you hate a place, you take every bit away with you! So, obviously your subconcious approved of your weekend!

Stacey said...

It sounds like you had the most wonderful weekend. Lucky you!
Now, as for these welding rods. What size / length did you go for?

Kylie said...

Looks like another fab weekend was enjoyed by all - kicking myself that I never got to head there and enjoy the surrounds - packing boxes and moving north before I thought that we would be has thrown a few spanners out of allignment...

I agree with Prism and now have a reason as to why I leave things at my parents - although Mum always posts them back LOL - she doesnt ge tthe psych of it all LOL!

Tania said...

Just...Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Oh, but also: I can't believe what a rip-snorting trade that local op shop does...