16 August 2009

reason #793 why I love the internet

detail, quilt from the peppermint patcher

Photos don't do this justice.

quilt from the peppermint patcher, detail

This quilt, from Tracey is magnificent.

quilt from the peppermint patcher

The colours, the applique, the quilting. Did I mention the quilting!

Son #1 was away on camp (his fifth camp this year, only one left now) all week and on Saturday morning I showed it to him. Now it takes a lot to impress a fifteen year old boy, but he was blown away, particularly by the quilting. He kept exclaiming and marvelling over how.much.stitching there is on this thing. He kept saying It must have taken her months! I can't believe it! I think I went up in his estimation, being the recipient of such a work of art :)

Mind you he did marvel at my shawl too, telling me I should give up work, knit shawls all day and sell them to shops for $500 each. He's good for my ego sometimes.

Thank you again Tracey, for this quilt, and this swap. I feel privileged and honoured, and more than a bit warm and fuzzy inside.

In other news, we met the new neighbours. Remember the Fudge of Doom that I took to the old neighbours, left on their doorstep (they weren't home) and never heard a word from, but the For Sale sign went up shortly after? Well this weekend we took a fresh batch of FoD (milk chocolate and hazelnut, for those of you keeping track at home) to the new occupants, and after a false start yesterday (let's just say it clearly wasn't a good time, so we slunk away, telling the boys we'd try again another time - Fudge of Doom strikes again), we were successful today and can report that they are quite lovely. It will be nice to once again have neighbours with whom we can actually have a friendship. Although the house is very posh and despite only having moved in two minutes ago, everything was pristine, beautiful, and in its place, (gah!), with nary a packing box in sight. As we left an hour later, full of tea, cake and Fudge [of Success], I said to the children I think you'd better tidy your rooms before they come and visit us. To which Son #2 responded I think we'd better renovate the house before they come and visit us. God knows what they're doing in dirt-road, rustic-charm, "character-filled" country like this.

In other other news, FIVE SLEEPS until Craft Weekend. Yay! Off to have one of those sleeps right now. Nighty night.

24 comments:

zephyr said...

i SO enjoy your posts and your twittering, Suse...
Okaaayy...tweets...sigh
and your shawl and this quilt are marvels and wonders to behold.

but...back to your twittering:
all i can say is: i am so way more superstitious that you are. i could no more breathe one word not in favor of the rain...for fear the next dry spell would be my fault.
but then
i'm a nut.
for sure.

bettylicious said...

Wow, that is amazing! All that detail in the stitching.

ali said...

Wow, that truly is a work of art! You are a very lucky lady!

Elizabeth said...

I love the shawl and the quilt!
And I'm jealous of the craft weekend AGAIN!
There is a lot of dirt involved in country living, isn't there?

sooz said...

the quilt and shawl are indeed both works of art. But I share the boy's amazement at the stitching. Does she have a whole quilting machine? Surely that can't be freehand...

And since you mention fudge, Amy had her first ever piece of fudge on the weekend (local fete) and has been obsessing ever since. Could you share your recipe and any tips you have? I've never made it but I think we might like to try it together.

crafty said...

Wow! Lucky you!

I recognized Tracey's work the moment the photo started appearing on my screen, glad I was right.
It's a stunning quilt.

The shawl is gorgeous as well, I am a bit unsure of what to do with a shawl, but you seem to have the knack.

Fairlie said...

Wow! That is quite some quilt. I love the colours.

As soon as we get to know the neighbours in any of the houses we've lived in, the 'for sale' signs start to go up. I'm trying not to take it personally!

Melanie said...

It's a beautiful quilt - my kind of colour scheme, all that lovely blue and green, delicious!

Speaking of delicious, glad the Fudge of Doom wasn't, this time.

Fioleta said...

The quilt is beautiful, I so much like its fresh light colours.

To have neighbours that bring Fudge must make one feel very positive about the move to the area.

Mookah said...

Stunning quilt. My skills don't go that far I'm afraid, but hey, we can't all be good at everything right?

victoria said...

Well, there are some amazing beautiful houses in your area. As I know from realestate.com stalking... Of course the perfect one for us that we could actually afford has now sold so I think we're going to move a bit further away in the food chain! Still, another might come up!
I am impressed by both the shawl and quilt and think that they look like equally worthy swaps. Love the 15 year old's appreciation.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

That was a truly perfect swap ! Both shawl and quilt were works of art and extremely desirable .
And I must say , if I ever go bananas and make a huge , beautiful quilt and then quilt it to perfection , I'd like you to photograph it !

Melanie said...

Beautiful quilt and those acid blues and greens with a touch of red are stunning. Don't worry about the neighbours, I'm sure they will come to envy your creativity and style and appreciate your neighborliness.

Stomper Girl said...

Your son is a wit. And you and Tracey both made beautiful things.

Melody said...

Ha! Your whole post made me smile. A big one at that.

And yeah, 500 bucks is not unreasonable for a shawl from you...

fifi said...

oh, isn't that too beautiful?!


Hahah, I would have to renovate my house before I let people like that near it...
and ye who vacuums the walls? what chance have I got in this world?

Di said...

Lucky you. The quilt is stunning.

Knitting Out Loud said...

Gorgeous quilt. And what a nice son, too!

Meggie said...

That quilt is just gorgeous! And your shawl!.. both worthy of each other for sheer beautifulness!!

Kim said...

oh my goodness, that quilt is stunning!

The Awakened Heart said...

Fudge of Doom - how can ANY type of fudge be bad? Maybe I should make some and take it round to my new neighbours in the hope that they WILL move. All tatts and Death Metal at 2am sigh. The quilt is fantabulous and yes, the glorious, glorious detail. I love that tree. Me wants it, Me preciousssss...
What is the Craft Weekend - need to know, need to know...

Shammickite said...

Gorgeous, that's the only word for it! And Fantabulous.

Bronwyn said...

Just simply delicious!! Most jealous! Another Craft Weekend Suse? Most jealous again!!

kim at allconsuming said...

Breathtaking. Utterly breathtaking. How did she do all that stitching? Can you buy sewing machines that do that? Please don't tell me it was freehand. I may have to retire to the library with the revolver is such an exquisite thing was done by hand alone.