13 August 2009

Ta da!

I think by now you all know that Tracey and I agreed on a swap recently, after a recent throwaway comment of hers that she needed a shawl to warm her poor cold shoulders.

Well, today was Arrival of the Swap Parcels Day. I came home from work to find this quilt waiting for me. I know! How lucky am I? I'll try and photograph it myself over the weekend when I have some daylight hours at home, but in the meantime, I'll show you the finished product of what I sent her.

Shetland Triangle

The pattern is the Shetland Triangle (because 2270 other people can't be wrong), and it's my very first lace shawl. Talk about hooked. I've been queueing lace shawls on Ravelry ever since.

Shetland Triangle

It's a nice sized shawl ... not too big, so it can be worn as a scarf or kerchief if preferred.

Shetland Triangle

It's light and floaty. Perfect for tropical Queensland evenings (I hope).

Shetland Triangle

The yarn is my own hand dyed sock yarn, and I managed to squeeze nine repeats of the body pattern before starting the edging. (Actually I knitted ten repeats, and halfway through the edging realised I was running out of yarn so spent a tedious hour unravelling several hours worth of work).

Shetland Triangle

And for those non-knitterly types of you who asked in the comments what blocking is, and why one does it? Have a look at the two pictures below. When you knit lace, it's all scrunched up and kind of sad looking, so you wet it and manhandle it into position with sharp implements pin it out to open up the exquisite lace pattern. Once dry, the yarn holds the memory of its trauma shaping, and obediently cowers to your will maintains its shape.

shetland triangle shawl, unblockedShetland Triangle Shawl, blocking

See? Obedient.

This was an all round wonderful experience. I thoroughly enjoyed knitting the shawl, although I was nervous about whether someone else would like the finished product as much as I do. I learned to really 'read' my knitting too, relying less on the charts and more on the stitches to know what came next. I was a little scared of doing something as large and challenging, but knowing Tracey lives in the tropics and a heavier shawl would not be appropriate, gave me the impetus to give lace a whirl. I'm so glad I did. It turned out to be interesting to knit, but an easy pattern.

And I love the finished result. It should be in Tracey's hot little hands by now, and I hope she likes it as much as I do. I certainly adore my quilt, and can't wait to show you lot in a day or so.

(Vital statistics of the shawl ravelled.)

27 comments:

Gina said...

That is so beautiful. I'm not sure how you could bear to part with it! But the quilt is rather gorgeous too.

India Daisy said...

Wow, that is stunning! Love the colour too.
Your a genius.
Andrea
xoxo

Paula said...

Beautiful shawl.

So, is that how it works? Suse, my shoulders are cold? ;)

Tania said...

Beautiful, beautiful swappery.

I know what you mean about being hooked on the lace thing. I started the Hemlock Ring Blanket (Brooklyn Tweed again - but something not requiring precise, ahem, gauge) and loved it -before too much work put a stop to projects requiring lengthy concentration. There again, I have always preferred to drive a manual to an automatic car...

Jodi said...

Oh, how lovely! The hand-dyed yarn works wonderfully with the pattern, and it has so much drape.

marie*jolie said...

It's always useful to have a light shawl--always! I am sure your friend will love it. What a beautiful and thoughtful trade!

peppermintpatcher said...

It is lovely, lovely, lovely and I say this from hands-on expreience.

You and I have great ideas. Well done us!

Laura Jane said...

bloody gorgeous! You are both very clever, and I KNOW what an effort each piece would have been. Well done!

RW said...

wowee.
that is something else.

Melody said...

I am very lucky to visit both of you regularly so it is nice to see you both swapping something that you love to do. Both too talented. Too. Talented.

fifi said...

oh, you are so amazing! What a lovely thing.

(And I so love your hair. You're so cool!)

Fioleta said...

It is beautiful. Even my husband thinks so (he glanced at my computer screen while I was reading your post) and he is usually not very impressed with knitted things.

kgirl said...

just gorgeous - the colour variegation is beautiful. Lucky friend :)

herhimnbryn said...

So beautiful. Shawl and model both!

Now then, my feet are very cold here in WA. ;^)

Frogdancer said...

Lovely. Both of you have done beautiful work.

donyale said...

it's lovely. I think my Shetland Triangle in Debbie Bliss is my most worn item and every time I wear it people comment on it.

frog said...

Such beautiful objects! Prompted by your glut of shawls I've just made one (well, nearly finished one) and the addiction has begun.

I think both of you need to be congratulated simply for parting with those items.

pinry said...

that is really a beautiful and versatile shawl! and extra-special with your hand dyed yarn. it's funny how the shawl addiction takes over - now i really want to make one now.

Leonie Guld said...

OMG...you two are amazing. The WORK you have both put in. I'm speechless its just to beautiful for words.

tiennie said...

This is just gorgeous!!!

Jen said...

Absotively beautimus, and so nicely photographed, too. I feel like I can touch it.

peskypixies said...

gorgeous shawl and gorgeous quilt!!

beauty all around.

sooz said...

Oh yeah, a ripper! I once never imagined knitting lace, but I hugely enjoyed first the challenge and then the smug satisfaction of knitting the Hanami, and now the Stonewall (which is rather easier). And once you start looking - so many great lace patterns to knit! Looking forward to seeing what you do next :-)

M said...

Oh gosh you clever. Very. I've knitted a lace scarf and it drove me crazy because the pattern was 13 rows long and I couldn't get to the point where I could remember the stitches like I usually do and had to continually read the pattern.

Michelle said...

Exquisite!!!!

Pam said...

Lovely color, lovely pattern, lovely size. Just lovely.

Stacey said...

It is just so beautiful, as is the quilt you've received in return.

I'm pleased that you found you were able to read your knitting. It's that constant looking from the chart to the knitting that annoys me about lace knitting.

The fact that after a while you can see what you need to be doing has given me hope. I shall have to give it another go.