9 September 2009

Some random for your Wednesday evening

... because I am meant to be writing a 2000 word essay on the effects of the introduction of the aqueduct at Pompeii (answer, fountains, domestic agriculture, flushing toilets, more water than you poke a stick at, fountains, pools, fishponds and did I mention the fountains?)

Son #1 performed 'Spring', from Vivaldi's Four Seasons (accompanied by a pianist) and it was delicious and delightful apart from the two mistakes which everyone forgave.

• Neither Flickr nor Facebook will let me upload the two-part recording of the performance which is sending my absent (ie. interstate) parents slightly insane with grandparental frustration.

• Son #2 was involved in an end of season soccer match where an official from the opposing team behaved so appallingly that the entire set of team members' parents have lodged formal complaints with the FFV. Such a distressing way to end a season. I was so proud of our boys though - they played brilliantly, fairly, and in a totally sportsmanlike manner.

• On Sunday at the presentation ceremony, Son #3 is to be awarded Player of the Year in his Under 10s soccer team but sssshhh, he doesn't know. Don't tell.

• I'm knitting socks in the same colour as the watermelon coloured shawl (and that link shows the welding rods pretending to be blocking wires, for those who asked to see action shots).

pink artichokes socks

• And because I know if I don't include this, someone will ask in the comments and not leave their email address so I can answer them, the socks are Artichokes (pattern available here, the yarn is hand dyed by me with cherry and strawberry Kool Aid, and um, that's all I can think of. They're on my ravelry page if you need more info).

• I am coveting a piece of beautiful artwork from here.

• Jan held a competition over at the Sewjourn blog, which I promised to spruik on my blog. The competition has now closed. I am such a bad blogger.

• Work is gearing up for another couple of insane weeks, which it always manages to do when I have an essay due. Great.

• Son #1 made french toast for dinner last night. Shut up, french toast is a perfectly acceptable dinner option. The mister burnt some bacon to accompany it and we all ate a piece of fruit for dessert. I mention that to allay any concerns you may have.

Janet dared me to write a scintillating blogpost featuring a wet dishrag, but I am not up to the challenge right now. I do however need to knit some new dishcloths. Mine are all looking a little tired and grey right now. Like me, ha.

wet dishrag
Look! There are those kitchen tiles you helped me choose.

• I just listened to What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt on audiobook. Alternately tedious and so moving that I sobbed during that tricky bit where you come off the Ring Road at peak hour and suddenly the Tulla merges with the Calder and I was grabbing tissues and gulping while simultaneously merging left for my exit. Sheesh. Powerful book. (Yet tedious).

• I'm reading thirdcat's book. Squeee! In fact I selfishly have two copies of it on my bedside table; one from the library and one for mine own self.

• Two copies of the Handmade Help Cookbook landed on my doorstop the other day to distribute to two families we know who lost everything in the Black Saturday Bushfires. One will be delivered tomorrow when Son #1 has his music lesson and the other will be delivered as soon as semester break comes around (two weeks time) and I can get back to spinning group. Now to purchase one for our household. Done! You should buy one too. Go here.

Bushfire relief fundraiser cookbook

Some questions:

• Has anyone seen the version of Wuthering Heights starring Ralph Fiennes (I know, I know) and Juliette Binoche? Any reviews you care to share?

• If you had bought a brilliant red coat from an op shop recently, and you were also in possession of a pink[ish] complexion, blue eyes and silvery grey hair, what colour scarf do you imagine you might wear with said red coat? Current thoughts are deepest darkest blue, chocolate brown, or charcoal grey. Edited to add: I don't currently HAVE scarves in all those colours, I need to knit one, and require assistance with colour recommendations to go with red. Thank you.

• The Spring, she has sprung. (That wasn't a question).

• I'm thinking of fiddling with the look on my blog. (I heartily recommend this as an effective procrastination tool). Any special requests?

38 comments:

innercitygarden said...

We had toasted cheese for dinner last night, it was that sort of day. Sadly, my son did not do the cooking part.

I think you should wear that coat with all the scarves in rotation, they all sound grouse.

Quadelle said...

Growing up our family occasionally (i.e. not very often) had pancakes for dinner. Without the bacon and fruit.

My vote is for a blue scarf. :)

Have I mentioned before that I absolutely adore the colour of your shawl, and now socks? Absolutely fabulous.

fifi said...

We had cannelloni for dinner last night and the middles were still frozen.
All my own work too.


I think a light blue or indigo, or that deep purply grey I think called anthracite.



Aren't some people such HORRORS at soccer. I am still not speaking to one STUPID mother for their appalling behavious and slanging during last years finals. Riduculous.

Your knittings are, as ever, beautiful.

Now off to Pompeii you GO>

Carla said...

Such a great post- as for the scarf a very dark grey that has a tad of blue in it- not so much that the naive colorist would notice-

rachel said...

Charcoal or graphite. Every time.

French toast - never. Horrid, horrid stuff.

Now I'm off to google welding rods, as I daren't ask you what they're really for!

Badger said...

Carla is recommending the very same thing I was going to, scarf-wise -- dark grey shot with blue. 'Twould look lovely with red, and your coloring.

I loves me some random posting, yo.

Laura Jane said...

I like the thought of charcoal or graphite for the scarf.Maybe a twist/speckled? White may also look lovely with your colouring. Maybe choose two+ scarves.

I have a red coat and I am alternating it with a deeper red/maroon simple knit, and black/red paisley pashmina and a red/beige Italina cashmere blend pashmina.

My glasses are purple metallic, although I have just picked up some new metallic red ones. So don't forget to take your glasses colour into consideration.

RW said...

I am a big fan of the chocolate brown idea. That is an awesome coat!

All I can save about the blog fiddling is save your links.

Janet said...

I'm sure that dish rag is going to haunt you now! It's Ok, perhaps a post with a dishrag in it counts anyway?

We sometimes have something we euphemistically call "snacks" for dinner which means cheese and biscuits and other things from the fridge or pantry that don't require cooking or preparation beyond cutting up. Maybe followed by chocolate once the wee one is in bed.

Grey is always good with red. As is pale green (but not fir green or you'll look like Christmas) and I quite like orange and bright pink with red too. That red is lovely on you.

frog said...

I'll vote for a deep midnight blue but not so deep it might be taken for black. The grey shot with blue is interesting but I think you should highlight the colour of your eyes more.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

We eat what we call Breadandbits when cooking doesn't appeal . Actually , by the time you've faffed around finding nice charcuterie ,gone to the Turkish shop for olives , made said salad , sliced bread , satisfied lastminute request for cream crackers , upended yourself in the fridge in a search for non-existent gherkins .....cottage pie seems the quicker option .
My colouring's the same as yours and I'd go for chocolate or charcoal .

Isabelle said...

My husband got a home-made pork casserole for dinner but all the kids are elsewhere so I (being vegetarian) ate up a few baked beans and some some pasta salad, both of which had been sitting around in the fridge for quite some time. With vegetables and then fruit. Gourmet dining.

Fioleta said...

French toast sounds like a sensible meal to me.

There is a new Wuthering Heights movie!?!?! I read the book last year and totally loved it, will have to watch the movie. Your blog is so good for odd bits of information.

librarygirl said...

1.The behaviour of some parents and officials at my son's junior football leaves me absolutely gobsmacked.
(get your own lives, don't live through the kids!)
2.Deepest darkest blue.
3. Spring - I was spreading mulch on the wet ground until dark last night - planting nasturtium and spinach seeds today!
4. My daughter would happily eat toast for dinner every night.

Tania said...

Ah, love a long, random-type procrastination post when I'm avoiding my own work. You've even half convinced me to spend some time tweaking my own blog, except it would probably fall off or something.

Am putting my vote in for a deepest, darkest, charcoalest grey. Except with a 'something'. A tiny speckle thing or the bare tinge of a darkish aubergine or whatnot.

Stomper Girl said...

Well seeing as you know what *I* think is an appropriate colour scheme, you may feel free to ignore my suggestion, but I was picturing a silvery green or silvery blue to buffer the red to the pink. I am very anti-grey and brown, you see, but again you know what my idea of good colour co-ordination is.

Well done to Son #3, and boo to terrible or scary soccer behaviour from so-called grown-ups.

kmkat said...

Can you upload the recording to the blog or to your space @ Blogger? I know I can do that in TypePad. I would have to link to the recording, but that's not really a problem.

I am picturing a scarf of silvery gray to match your hair, but I seem to be the only one with that mental image...

Jodie said...

And I, also being a bad blooger, recieved something of such magnificence in the post today that I almost cannot share it for fear of doing an injustice to it. It might take me weeks but rest assured I am beyond thrilled !!!

janet said...

I saw this version of Wuthering Heights quite a while ago as we read the book for the HSC. Regrettably, I only rememeber two things about it:
1) It was MUCH MUCH better than the'39 version;
2)Ralph Fiennes was HOT.
IMDB gave it 6.6....
For the scarf, dark inky blue and charcoal. On alternate days.
Lovelovelove the socks :)

pinry said...

enjoyed this! and inspired by your blocking wires solution. as for the scarf, i like grey ...
be warned that in my new post i have awarded you the 'honest scrap award'! i don't really understand these award things, but figured that pointing out blogs that i like can't be bad. (so please feel free to ignore it if you like)

BabelBabe said...

oh for pete's sake, Thirdcat's book is not available in the States as far as I can tell. (I had to do a serious ILL to get Penni's; my librarians are used to me.)

Tish said...

Breakfast for supper has always been a favorite in our house from overstuffed omelets to waffles (we have a standard waffle maker and a Hello Kitty one) to pancakes to hot cereal. Ummm- it's all good!
I am partial to charcoal grey with red (I have a charcoal grey coat and a red scarf) but I also think a lacy silvery grey (scarf? small triangle shawl?) with metallic charcoal beads would look lovely as well.

herhimnbryn said...

Message begins...

Choc brown- stop
Forest green- stop
Graphite grey- stop

Please send French toast and socks-stop

Message ends...

zephyr said...

being a dodo head
and/or a dinosaur
i can't figure out how to respond to one of your tweets
even though i'm following you.
But i did wish to say
"Me Too!!" to your tweet about the scary strong winds. Only fire scares me more.

deborah said...

Love your blog. A red coat and a pink shawl would look great. when you don't like pink i would go with brown and charcoal grey. Why not make a stiped shawl/scarf with all the colours. cheers de.

kt said...

Charcoal Grey! Great combo-I used it for my French Market Bag. Not to say you'd look like my French Market Bag...

And around here, we like breakfast for dinner, too. Also the ever popular "what the heck do we do with all these teensy bits of leftovers?" dinner. Makes for interesting combinations with built-in portion control.

rhubarbwhine said...

Mmmmm French Toast!

CCK said...

I'm a bit more salt than pepper than you are, and I too have a red coat that I wear in the cooler months. My scarf is red too! It's one strand of red mohair and one strand of Schaffer Anne (a fingering weight) that is a bit variegated with blues/oranges/blacks and of course red in it. Works for me, there is never too much red in our greying lives...

Angel Jem said...

Master procrastinator, I applaud you. Have you finished your essay?

Meggie said...

OMG. I LOVE the stuff in your head, that makes it out onto paper...well the internets...

gis said...

I suggest the chocolate brown scarf. I could send you a grey one if you want it (just let me know...)!

Water in Pompei? Well, as you say fountains, but also the termae, and think about all that plumbings...

And as this is my first comment, compliments for the nice blog , I visit it quite often.

Anonymous said...

Hi again
Can you remove my comment about the Jungian psychotherapist - I put her email address without dots so not spam proof. Not something I'd wish on anyone.
Cheers
A former knitter!

Blue Moon Girl said...

I vote deep blue or deep grey. I have a red coat and I wear a scarf that a friend knitted me that's a kind of varigated charcoal grey and it's gorgeous!

Also we have "breakfast dinners" all the time. They're awesome! We never have the energy or time to make cool breakfasts in the mornings so we always have them in the evening. More fun and easier!

Rachel Bingham said...

I think chartruse. I know, I know. Kind of crazy but chartruse with bright red. Amazing.

The Curious Cat said...

Ralph Fiennes in Wuthering Heights...surely not Heathcliff...hopefully Linton?! How come you have to write an essay on Pompeii - are you as fellow classicist? Just wondering through the blogosphere and thought I'd stop to say hello...

sewjourn said...

Not a bad blogger - just a busy girl. When is a good time for me to drop off all the goodies left behind?

Cactusneedles said...

French toast for dinner is one of my fool-proof dinners! Might have to have that this week...thanks for the thought!

Elizabeth said...

Charcoal scarf. No updates for a while, everything OK?