31 October 2009

fin

The end of Blogtober! I think I missed three days in the whole month, so not too shabby.

It is also the end of Mystery Sock Number One. Behold.

One mystery sock complete

Number Two was cast on tonight and is progressing well thus far. The design details in this sock are typical of Kirsten's patterns - interesting to knit and beautifully thought out. There is a lovely little lace detail in the middle of the cuff, and the leaf or petal design finishes beautifully on the toe. I will definitely be signing up for any future mystery knit-alongs that Kirsten hosts.

In other news, I indulged in a smattering of stash enhancement today. A select tangle of knitting bloggers met up today at Morris & Sons (which happily was having a 30% - 80% off sale) and shamelessly encouraged each other in the exchange of large amounts of cash for some luxurious yarns.

I slipped and fell and accidentally ended up with two skeins of Debbie Bliss pure silk, to be dyed and knitted into a future shawl ...

silk

... and then put back the 10 pack of Cleckheaton Naturals in cornflower blue that I'd been lugging about and exchanged it for the far more expensive but satisfying 6 skeins of Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed. I see some sort of blue cardigan in my future and have already spent far more time than is healthy perusing my Ravelry queue in search of the perfect pattern.

Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed

Fin.

PS. Do go back to yesterday's post and read the comment from pebble dash. It's worth it.

PPS. As it's the last of the month, I've updated my current favourite blogs of the moment, over there on the sidebar. My blogroll was getting out of control so I've decided to just highlight a rotating half dozen inspirational blogs each month. Please enjoy.

19 comments:

peppermintpatcher said...

Well done you! An admirable bogging feat and an admirably socked foot.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Congratulations on comleting Blogtober ! It's all been great fun to read .
So now you've got a bit more time to knit up that heavenly blue .

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Of course I could have com-p-leted the commenting by reading it before pressing publish .

Prism said...

OK, I LOVED yesterday's post--and I laughed my butt off at the dachshund story. I did have to look up "eurythmy" in the dictionary, but once I found it, it reminded me of a story from my own life.

Back in the long-ago college days, my very small, rural college somehow managed to snag (for a single semester) a very sweet Chinese man who had won China's nationwide dance competition something like four years in a row.

Besides adding some much needed culture and world awareness to the school, he also taught a Chinese Dance Class. I figured it was my only chance to expand my mind in that way, plus I got a much needed PE credit, so I signed right up.

The other 5 girls in the class had all spent their entire lives in various dance classes, and were tiny, graceful things.

Sadly, my amazonian long legs did NOT come with the smallest amount of coordination, and I have never been able to remember even the simplest 3 step dance combination.

Which all ended up with our poor, sweet Chinese teacher having a VERY LONG semester, and coming away stunned that anyone could possibly lack that much poise, skill and grace!

Ah, Well.

I have loved Blog-Tober, and enjoyed hearing so much from you.

Marie-Jolie said...

Lovely lovely sock!

willywagtail said...

Thanks for all the laughter. Cherrie

Meggie said...

Oh that sock is divine! If one can say that about a sock?

innercitygarden said...

It was fun wasn't it? I mean, I've been yarn shopping with the frog lots of times but having an extra two enablers and a sale on was mighty fine! (For anyone playing along at home: I bought half a dozen balls of DB baby cashmerino). And I still can't believe the kid behaved the whole time. He slept all the way home though, and then was awake til 11pm.

innercitygarden said...

It was fun wasn't it? I mean, I've been yarn shopping with the frog lots of times but having an extra two enablers and a sale on was mighty fine! (For anyone playing along at home: I bought half a dozen balls of DB baby cashmerino). And I still can't believe the kid behaved the whole time. He slept all the way home though, and then was awake til 11pm.

matty said...

Lovely sock and great lust for the blue...

fifi said...

Very Nice Sock.



I am still wiping tears away from that pebbledash dog story. Howling with mirth....

Kate said...

Oh, my good lord, if it is possible you made that silk look even more delicious than it did in person!

Tania said...

OK, I did read yesterday's post and then the Pebble-Dash comment and laughed myself metres from the computer (chair on castors).

On a different note, I have been thoroughly enjoying your pretty-damned-close-to-daily-posting but expect it would be decent to allow you a bit of time to put your feet up and knit the other sock.

On another note, my children are also noisily and indecently over the moon at the news of taken-ill Eurythmy teachers.

Jean said...

Oh the poor pup! (Pebble dash's comment). OOOOHHHH pure silk, it looks yummy, to me yarn = dreams and these are especially sweet. What a lovely blog to visit.

lucy said...

That's not a Fin, that's a foot!

Stacey said...

I'd love to see the daschaund with no front legs appliqued onto a t shirt.
I love Silk Road. I have a few balls of the asparagus (green - duh - with flecks of blue) just waiting for the perfect project. Isn't it just the most divine yarn?

ThirdCat said...

so that's it, is it? You build us up, giving us something beautiful to read every day, to look forward to in our google reader, and then you just leave us! Actually, I'm very impressed. I started blogtober, but didn't tell anyone, wisely second-guessing myself that I wouldn't make it.

Anna of Helylle said...

Socks look amazing! Beautiful colour.

MsCellania said...

Oh! I'm reading you backward, so I now find that I have a whole host of October to read! Yummy.
I'll be back later with a cuppa tea.
I
Have
Missed
YOU!