15 October 2009

Installment III: Penni's questions

Penni asked two questions:

What sort of cake, biscuit or other would you make if you had hazelnut meal in the house?

If you had a girl baby, what would you call her?


And so I can reveal the following.

I would make Coffee Hazelnut Gateau, which sounds posher than it really is.

1/2 cup of sugar
4 eggs
100g hazelnut meal
6 tablespoons of plain flour (I use 3 white and 3 wholemeal)
1 tablespoon of coffee powder/granules
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Beat the sugar and eggs together, adding the eggs one at a time. Fold in the nuts, then the cinnamon, flour and coffee.
Mix and pour into a shallow cake tin and bake on moderate heat for 15 minutes (so unbelievably quick). It makes a dryish, low rise cake which you can then ice with coffee flavoured icing, dust with icing sugar, or leave plain. It's a lovely cake with a cup of tea or coffee, and my youngest absolutely adores a small square of it in his lunchbox.

I found the recipe on the back of the Lucky Ground Hazelnuts years ago, but it's not there any more.

Rosie, Alice, Hannah or Jemima. Sigh ...

15 comments:

Fe said...

Oooh... YUM! Thank you for the recipe!

Toto was Jemima... until he came out with a whoosie instead of a whatsit.

Lovely names.

xxx

fifi said...

Well here are some questions for YOU my love.


ok, sticking wity the disaster theme,
what is the most spectacular public disaster you have suffered?

Is there a smell which, while seemingly innocuous to others, really makes you gag?


If you were a big celebrity ( as opposed to a celebrity on a more intimate scale, of course)

what would you wear to the academy awards? (or similar)

Badger said...

Ooo! My girl child has one of your chosen girl names. Now it's got me wondering if one of your boys has the same name as my boy....

The Antidote said...

I looked after a sick little baby called Jemima once, she was adorable and her name suited her so much x

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I have three daughters and always wondered what names I would have chosen if I'd had three sons instead . It's funny what images or memories come with certain names , making them totally unusable ! But all your choices are lovely .

blackbird said...

ooooh, that girl-name question gets me every time.

Isabelle said...

A question: if you could go back in time and remake one decision in the light of what you know now, what would it be?

Alternatively - less soulsearchingly - do you have brothers and / or sisters?

Stacey said...

Oh lovely names! I wish I had a little girl.....

Meggie said...

I do love Rosie!
Lovely recipe.

Anonymous said...

de-lurking to ask

guilty pleasures? (the kind you can talk about, of course)

if money and time didn't come into it, would you prefer to travel by train, plane or ship?

best advice you have ever been given?

did you follow it?

Anonymous said...

oops - if I am de-lurking I should give my name - Linda

gis said...

These posts are real fun to read. And the questions are also interesting: it is becoming a sort of "group blog" ;-)! Keep on going, and thanks to all!

Penni said...

Yay! Cake! Did you guess I have hazelnut meal that sits in the cupboard THINKING at me.

Rachel said...

How many people are there with ground hazelnut just sitting unloved in their cupboards?? Mine went out of date in 2006 but looked fine so I've made the cake anyway, looking forward to a wodge later with a cup of coffee. Thank you for the recipe!

kim at allconsuming said...

My girls names: Matilda, Eliza, Piper and Scout.

(or Eliza could have been Phoebe)

Sigh.