30 November 2009

Tis that season, again

Advent 2009 : : Week 1

First Sunday of Advent, 2009

The first light of Advent
It is the light of stones
The light that lives in seashells
Crystals and bones


Each year I get lovely emails and comments about our Advent traditions, which spurs me on to ignore the tedium of blog repetition and just post them again. I feel I need to post them anyway - Advent celebrations are a large part of the end of our year and this blog reflects what's going on around me. So here we are again.

Last night as I was poised to light the first candle to celebrate the first Sunday of Advent, Son #1 asked if he could do it. I hesitated (MY job!) but then thought it would be a good way of engaging him, particularly as he had been reluctant to get off the couch and join in, and so I relented. He struck the match and we sang the little song* and then I spoke the verse as the children each put a stone or crystal on the plate.

(Yes, it's a seasonal plate this year rather than a seasonal table, and that's just fine with me. It will probably go up on the mantlepiece tomorrow night when we put up the advent calendar and hang the angel chain. We don't do the kind of advent calendar where the children open a box or miniature stocking and get a trinket or treat every day; for a start I could not keep up with that every night for a month, and secondly it's the celebration and anticipation of the season that's meaningful for us. Our advent calendar is a humble cardboard thing with beautiful watercolour paintings that follow the story of Mary's Little Donkey and coincide with each chapter of the book as we work our way through it every December).

So. A new tradition wherein the eldest son lights the candle? Or maybe they'll take turns? We'll see next Sunday when we light the second candle.

If you are interested, I have written about our Advent celebrations in the past. You can find all the links to those posts here.

* Advent, Advent, a candle burns
Advent, Advent, a candle burns
First one, then two
Then three, and four
Then stands the Christchild at the door.

17 comments:

Tania said...

Every time you write about your advent celebrations I get goosebumps. Ours are not too dissimilar (only there are less goose bumps what with all the umpiring of the turn taking). Wish I had thought to always keep it MY job!

Sarah said...

We sing the same song! We also skip the daily gifts. I bought an advent calendar and then read in my journal that the girls had lost interest last year. I haven't outgrown the calendars though!

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for a month or so. I love your Advent "plate". What a beautiful tradition. We had our own advent wreath one year but I was always having to move it as it was so big. I am going to get that organized today and we will light candle one a day late (I am sure God won't mind). Happy Advent season from Canada. Jane

Floss said...

Thanks so much for contacting me about Advent - how lovely to read about your tradtions! I can see why your readers want to hear about it every year.

Could I refer to your post, and even perhaps, show your photo with a link, when I write about the Advent posts, please? If you thought it would be appropriate, it would be lovely to have you officialy part of the Pause for Advent, but I would quite understand if you want to keep going your own way - you started it! Do let me know if you have the time.

Thanks

Floss

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Family events are all about tradition .....and slow change , handing on . Your Advent always looks lovely and gentle in the general Christmas flurry .

Anonymous said...

This reminds me that one of the main markers of the beginning of advent in our family when our children were growing up was the producing of a complicated rota by our daughter to allocate amongst the four of us our turns at the following jobs: 1. lighting of the advent candle marked with the numbers 1 - 24, 2. opening of the window in the advent calendar (pictures only, no chocolate, with proper Christmas pictures) and 3. the lighting, on Sundays only, of the appropriate number of candles on what we called the "jangly thing" because the convection currents from the candles made it go round and chime...
Somehow she always contrived to make her turn come round on the most significant days, and as always her dyslexic spelling made it even more charming!
Bella

Anonymous said...

As I am new to the blogging world (not sure where I have been) I really appreciate you repetition re your Advent ritual. It made me wonder where this origniated from. I have always seen the chocolate calendars but just thinking another gimmick with little Christams meaning.

two little buttons said...

thank you for repeating your advent every year, i have started this tradition in our home this yera, singing the sone ( that i learnt at playgroup last week) and lighting the candle. i like that we can take the time to stop and reflect. thanks for sharing

two little buttons said...

i meant to say i have read your blog for a long time and havent commented, . also can you tell me where i could get the book little donkey in melb

Mary said...

I never get sick of your Advent rituals !

Isabelle said...

Lovely as usual.

Karen said...

I'm a new enough reader that I haven't read your Advent entries before. Lovely, lovely!

no blog norma said...

thankyou for all your lovliness at this time of year and well actually always really, a treasure it is to read your blog THANKYOU muchly

Marie-Jolie said...

What a lovely tradition! It seems brilliant to do it on a plate rather than a table... makes it more practical.

Amy and Family said...

Thank you so much for the beautiful tradition idea! I've lurked on your blog for awhile now, but thought since I linked to your Advent post today, I would let you know. Your family has possibly the most adorable manger I've ever seen. Enjoy your season, and take a look-see at mine if you care, www.ramblepie.blogspot.com

Shammickite said...

I'm not familiar with this tradition, but it looks lovely.

herhimnbryn said...

Keep on posting about your advent. It is quite beautiful.