7 January 2010

the fallback post, or What I Knitted in 2009

knitted in 2009

I had a whole post planned and halfway executed, in which I chose a photograph from each month of 2009 and wrote a few snippets about events, reflections and just life, as a kind of summary of the year. But when I came to the photos I realised I had somehow saved only tiny thumbnails and now I've lost interest. I may tackle it again but in the meantime here's the fallback post, the one where I boastfully shout looky here at what I knitted in 2009 aren't I oh so clever.

I was going to also make a mosaic of what I sewed in 2009, because for once I actually have enough to create a mosaic, but there are quite a number of things I haven't yet photographed, including the three (!) items I sewed on Christmas Eve Eve when I should have been packing but decided packing was really quite boring and what I needed to do was sew a new summer dress for the imminent tropical holiday not to mention a new bag and another skirt. Oh yes. So the sewing mosaic will have to wait until I've hemmed the black linen pants I made on craft weekend (so they can be included in the tally) and photographed all the items, and you know by then the moment will have passed so you'll probably not see it.

So, knitting 2009. It was the Year of the Shawl, definitely. I started off with the all garter stitch Wool Peddler's Shawl in olive and charcoal, and discovered that I absolutely adore knitting and wearing shawls. Next up came a shawl with a slightly more interesting pattern, and then I launched into lace shawls, knitting the Shetland Triangle twice in a row, once in a winter weight chunky yarn for myself and once in sock yarn for a swap. Shortly after that came the delectable Ishbel which I gave to my mum for Christmas. (I'm pretty sure she likes it, although the present that brought tears to her eyes was the calendar I made featuring photographs of her grandsons. That was a successful gift and I think it will become the new tradition).

Sock production continued in 2009, with four pairs, all of which I am extremely pleased with. There were four hats also, two of which barely left the heads of their recipients all winter long. Son #1 still wears his on almost a daily basis, no matter how warm it is. (He's weird like that. But lovable).

As for 2010 knitting, I have already completed my first finished object (on 2nd January) - a little cover for the mister's mobile phone. He recently bought a new phone and hasn't been able to find a cover for it and when I offered to knit him one, expecting him to cough and politely decline, he accepted. If you're interested (because I'm not sure it merits its own post), you can view it here. Yes, it's made from leftover sock yarn from the Mystery Socks of a couple of posts ago.

I also foresee several more socks and shawls in 2010, and a couple of actual cardigans and jumpers, shock horror. Woot.

11 comments:

BabelBabe said...

I bow before you, O Knitting Goddess.

Also, I need to photograph those five baby hats before H gives them away.

~Molly~ said...

Love the shawls but what I like best are your hats! The last two socks are nice too. I wish I could knit but there is something in my brain that keeps me from it.LOL

Molly

Wendy said...

Oh, but you are clever. I wish I knew how to knit. The learning curve is simply to great for the time I have to devote to a new craft. I was sighing over some knitted sock patterns just this afternoon - all stripey and cozy looking.

Karen said...

Wow. You sure did knit a lot of shawls--beautiful ones. It'll be fun to see what cardigans and jumpers you come up with in the New Year!

Uli said...

I am very impressed. I was impressed seeing them one at a time, but all together in their colourful glory it looks quite spectacular.

Stomper Girl said...

All that knitting, and sewing too? You are a crafting machine. Is the purple shawl the one you gave your mother? It is divine.

pinry said...

what a beautiful array of knitting! that's more than one finished item per month, that's got to be satisfying. your year of the shawl was my year of shawl envy! wishing you a happy new year of knitting ... and sewing ... etc

Isabelle said...

They're all lovely but I like the cute little boy best. Can you knit one for me, please?

fifi said...

You are a veritable Craft Avalanche.


happy New year to you too, dear Pea.


You will be pleased to know my oceanic scarf is currently protecting the baby fish from the -6C weather in France. Hooray!

kt said...

Lo, even on nights when I am tired and should be steered from the computer and towards bed, ours is one of two blogs which I must read.

Beautiful knitting. You rock.

melindatrees said...

so clever.wish i had a pair of such beautiful socks on my freezing feet right now...