2 January 2010

mysterious

Mystery socks, complete

This is the second Christmas day in a row when I've cast off a pair of socks in the cool calm evening after the turkeyhampudding feast. Last year it was the Ugly Brown Socks for the husband. This year it was for me.

Mystery socks, complete

These were the Mystery Socks knit-along run by the talented Kirsten from Through the Loops. Each week in October a different part of the pattern was released and as the month progressed, socks emerged from needles all over the globe. Knitters with more highly developed planning skills than I wound their skeins of sock yarn into two balls and knitted both socks at once, but I had to wait until I'd finished the first sock on the 31st of the month before I could commence the second one.

They were worth the wait though. The pattern is exquisite, beautifully thought out and full of lovely details - check out the tiny cable detail in the middle of the ribbed cuff, and also the way the cables along the foot turn into little petals at the toe. Just lovely.

Also, they fit me perfectly and I'm pleased with how my dyed yarn turned out.

Win win all round.

13 comments:

hip chick said...

they do look very cozy. I can't imagine knitting two socks at once!

pebbledash said...

Love them...sadly that level of detail is beyond my current knitting capabilities. Dream on.

the nest said...

your mystery socks turned out beautifully! mine are still in a half-finished state but are steadily working their way back to the top of the to-finish pile.

your color is gorgeous!

Elizabeth said...

Lovely!
I really like that mystery sock pattern but I'm still (unenthusiastically) knitting my mum's Christmas socks.....

Karen said...

The yarn color is absolutely dazzling! Love your socks!

Tammy James said...

They are beautiful Socks!

Prism said...

You keep posting these gorgeous socks. I keep salivating fiercely. (fortunately for all, I live too far away to remove them from you by force!) So, in large part because of you, dear Suse, 2010 IS THE YEAR I FINALLY LEARN TO KNIT. truly.

Shammickite said...

I made a pair too! I'll be taking a pic and blogging about them soon.

travellersyarn said...

I love the socks, the dye job, the colour!

peskypixies said...

gorgeous!!

Rose Red said...

It really is a lovely pattern - I hadn't noticed the extra details until now!

I was tooooo tired to even knit at all on Christmas day, but I love your now tradition of finishing a pair on the day!

judi said...

ok so now I start the new year coveting your socks ...AGAIN.!

Meggie said...

So gorgeous to begin another year, with hidden treasures to discover!