16 January 2010

wild life

singing

The magpies have been entertaining me this week. Yesterday I went outside with a piece of quiche in my hand (pumpkin and feta) and one little fella ran straight over and practically begged for some. (I wondered if he was our baby, all grown up).

magpies quite like pumpkin and feta quiche

I pondered whether feeding a bird some quiche smacked of cannibalism, but he seemed to enjoy it. The click of the camera frightened him, hence the wings spread in alarm.

warble warble warble (trans. - I don't want bread, I want more quiche)

When I ran out of quiche I raided the pantry and found a stale heel of bread, but he was not impressed. He warbled for a bit, which brought six of his friends a-zooming in, and so I returned to the fridge and surrendered the last piece of quiche (which was earmarked for the mister's supper, ssshhhh) and they all had a feast.

Time for a quick drink and a spot more singing, this time aimed at the kookaburra who is usually pretty territorial when he's at the bird bath ...

magpie and kookaburra at the bird bath

and then up into the tree with his mates for, yes, more singing.

I had to try and capture it for you, but of course as soon as I started recording they all shut up, except for that stupid crow at the beginning. Do persevere though because after a few seconds they all chime in again. It's the quintessential sound of the Australian bush.



More bird pics here.

20 comments:

Eleanor said...

It certainly is.

I'm homesick now.

RW said...

how cool it is that I can listen to your birds singing.

very cool.

travellersyarn said...

I love the pictures - I love the birds.

Thanks for showing us the wildlife near you.

Penny Reeves said...

It's so fantastic to hear that sound clip of the birds - so very different from our birdsong here. It makes me think that I must get out and record the dawn chorus here when it gets going in the Spring and post it for people to hear. Thank you so much for posting this :)

willowcaroline said...

What wonderful magical music! We have an Australian Bush exhibit at our zoo which I always enjoy, but I forget that somewhere in the world, this is the normal wildlife of everyday. Thanks for sharing!

karen - 2108 said...

thanks for the video - love the "songs" ;o)

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

How exotic ! There's a street in the middle of Brussels that has bird song piped in through loudspeakers on each lamp post . Perhaps they could occasionally try yours ....very pretty .

trasha said...

The sound of maggies, the smell of boronia and the look of wattle - this is home.




** I don't think anything scares magpies!

herhimnbryn said...

Same here. The bird baths are visited morning, noon and evening for baths and drinks and then the drying feathers in the sun
I suspect I should call the bird baths Bird Spas really.

Thankyou for the comment you left over at my place, it resulted in shouts of laughter.

ps. So, Mr have beans on toast for his dinner?

Elizabeth said...

Whee, you got a video up! Now it looks and sounds like summer, which is but a fantasy here right now.
Thank you.

So, now we need to hear YOU. Can you do the naming of the cheeses? Remember?

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! It sounds so exotic to me, so melodious. Even your crow sounds different than the crows here in the US. Thank you so much for sharing.

Karen said...

I'd dash over for a little quiche if I were a bird as well!! Ha!

Stomper Girl said...

Magpie song is one of my favourite things. I like the yodel quality of it and it always makes me happy when I hear it.

Gidgetknits said...

The birdbath photo is gorgeous. And I don't know about cannibalism, but my hens love scrambled eggs... and it's *their* eggs. I should probably be worried about that...

Tricia said...

Your Magpies sound gorgeous. I grew up with a magpie family nesting in our backyard every year. They have so much character. Probably one of my favourite birds. Although I wasn't very fond of the one that swooped me on my bike a few months ago!

Thanks for sharing.

Posie Patchwork said...

Um, i'm still reeling from being attacked, swooped on & stalked by magpies as a child & sometimes adult. They look friendly though, love Posie

zephyr said...

Oh, how fun!
i'd never get any work done if i lived there.

Isabelle said...

Magpie song? Scottish magpies never sing, that I'm aware of.

As a previous commenter said, this sounds totally unlike British birdsong. It sounds like a zoo. Which I suppose is logical.

SO interesting. I must get to Australia sometime. If only one could get there without going in one of those flying machine gubbinses. And free.

India Daisy said...

wow - how awesome to see a Kookaburra, they the cutest looking birds! Never seen one...OBVIOUSLY here in SA.
xoxo

eurolush said...

Love your bird photos, Suse! You always seem to capture their personalities, too.