28 February 2010

the kindness of strangers (amongst other things)

It's been a mixture of gloom, trepidation and excitement around here this weekend. Gloom due to various things including the reality that the end of an era has been reached, trepidation due to uni resuming this week and the inevitable juggling and feelings of overwhelmedness that will bring, and excitement brought on by, happily, several things:

My upcoming birthday next week - restaurant recommendations please, Melbourne folk!

The beginning of a whole new era and all that entails;

Lots of sewing, knitting and spinning projects underway or completed recently;

and thrillingly, my first paid photography gig.

birds nest found in the garden

No, not photographs of birds nests made of twigs, dog hair and bits of dead rabbit. But this will have to do as I can't show you what I've been photographing. One day I'll be able to link to my photos on a website, but until then please enjoy this little example of fine craftmanship. Unbelievable how they weave and shape all that with a beak, isn't it?

Also, my god, take a look at this.

a little ruffle

Ignore the turkey neck and focus on that magnificent ruffled scarf; a gift from a blogreader, all the way from Italy. It's grey, it's handknitted, it's just what I wanted (selected from my Ravelry queue, no less), it's alpaca, it's unbelievably soft and beautiful, and boy is it generous. Thank you so much Gisella. It came at the perfect time.

( I should also mention that another gobsmackingly amazing gift arrived during the madness that is December, which remains unblogged thus far because I want to photograph it when I've had it framed. However I don't want to be remiss by neglecting to acknowledge it publicly. Thank you too Louise, very much, and I promise I will get it framed and blogged hung soon).

I shall leave you with this.

alien landscape

After I posted a picture of a sunrise from my kitchen window and declared it the first in my series for The Alice Project, the project founder herself opined that it was too photogenic and couldn't I choose something a little more pedestrian like a 1970s shopping mall? I couldn't bring myself to photograph our local shops on a regular basis but I did immediately think of this particular roof which I pass six times a week and have often considered snapping but not done so. Done.

29 comments:

Tania said...

Well. There is much to be congratulatory about. Not least a birthday. No use asking me for restaurant recommendations though. Given a say, I never walk past Cicciolina and damn it - you can't book. You also need to arrive at a nana dinner hour to be assured of a table.

Bird beaks and nests are indeed awe-inspiring. Same for spider bottoms and webs.

peppermintpatcher said...

The architect in my home would think that a wonderful choice of subject for photography.

Have a happy birthday and I hope you have a delicious dinner. How could you not? It's Melbourne...

hip chick said...

Well first let me say happy happy birthday...I have not one recommendation for Melbourne...if you wanted to fly half way around the world I could offer you some suggestions.
That scarf/shawl is absolutely beautiful. I am so envious and I am going to try and figure out how to make one for myself.

Mary said...

Happy Birthday darling Suse - hope all is well in your neck of the woods - though that scarf will help keep you warm for sure ..

and I love that roof!

herhimnbryn said...

So much going on for you and yours.
Any chance you could fly to WA for your birthday? There is a local restaurant I can suggest... The Loose Box ( google it). Have been twice now and it was divine.

I shall say Happy Birthday now and again next week.

freefalling said...

Love your new header photo.

trasha said...

You lnpw there is always the 'Dinner tram'?!?!

ginevra / occasional glimpses said...

I hear you about the Uni trepidation: feeling it myself this morning! I hope for both of us it involves far less juggling and is far less stressful than we think.

And Happy upcoming Birthday, and many positive things to happen this year!

Trina said...

Hello, happy birthday to you!
Just love your beautiful shawl - most elegant. Lovely, lovely photos - the roof is magic! What wonderful camera is that?

with best wishes
Trina

alice c said...

Omigoodness, you even manage to make shopping malls look fabulous. I bow before you, O Queen of the Camera, who is shortly to be one year older and even more creative.

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful nest and shawl.
Don't you find the photos you have been meaning to take for ages but don't are because they are on a busy stretch of highway and it's too dangerous to pull over?
Maybe that's just me...

katiecrackernuts said...

There must be a lot of spring nests falling from trees. There's one on my blog too, found on a weekend walk. Completely different to yours. Ours is leaves, spider web, mosses and lichens. And, yes, we've marvelled at the engineering task completed with little more than a beak.

Anonymous said...

Can't leave you dangling re restaurants...

Maha - in a city laneway. Basement style, a little jewel box.

For a contemporary vibe but posh - Cutler & Co in Gertrude St Fitzroy. Bit pricey - very very good.

Sunnybrae at Birregurra - a bit of a drive, but why not?

There are so many many places....

rgds Hilary from Panton Hill

Stomper Girl said...

Well, Fixit and I ate very well at Matteo's, and there's always Hellenic Republic but book NOW!NOW!NOW! or you won't get in. If you do go make sure you have the haloumi with preserved figs because OMG yum.

And maybe ends of an era could lead to new eras which will be superfun signedpollyannax

sueeeus said...

Oh, I'm so befuddled and out of touch, all wrapped up and lost in my own little world that I don't know the era of which you speak. [whimpers feebly]

But I do wish you the best birthday ever, my dear. :)

peskypixies said...

happy happy day.

Love that scarf!!!

Lynn said...

Geez Louise, that Alice is a right regular bossypants. And to think I almost joined her project using the view of my garden from the upstairs bathroom window. Guess I'll have to choose the dilapidated former military school instead. Or the local prison. Twelve months of razor wire, anyone?

Happy start-of-classes and birthday!

eurolush said...

Love, love, love the beautiful little nest...so cozy...so soft. What lucky baby birds to have such a wonderful mother (who can weave!)

Here's wishing you the happiest of birthdays. Congrats also on your first paid photography gig.

You da best.
XX E

innercitygarden said...

You know, the Indian restaurant behind the Eltham supermarket is really really good. I mean, not as good as my local Indian eatery, but still, very very nice. And cheap.

Or Florentino. That's good too. Last time I went there Jeff Kennett lost the election, but we'd all had such a good dinner we didn't want to spoil it by looking at the election on the telly when we got home so we didn't find out til we got the paper in the morning.

Janet said...

happy birthday in advance!!!

a neighbour of mine went to cutler and co and really loved it - but I guess that's not much to go on really.

and stomper is right.

Di said...

Life is nothing if not constantly changing- I hope the end of one era also marks the start of a happy new one. Best wishes for your birthday!!- Sorry the only vaguely nice restaurant I can recommend is the convenient and tasty thai place down the road from us. Not really birthday material!

rhubarbwhine said...

Happy birthday and congratlulations to you. It sounds as if it's going to be your year. I do hope so :)

sewjourn said...

Ends of eras can be sad but dawnings of new ones are exciting!

Happy Birthday! Let's have that much talked about coffee soon.

PS Hope the photos went well!

Anonymous said...

Becco. Consistently divine.

The Italian (the one at 101 Collins St). A bit of New York in Melbourne.

Centonove in High St Kew. Eight of us went. Eight of us licked our entree, main and dessert plates clean.

Happy Birthday dear Suse,
Loretta
xx

Suse said...

Loretta!

Start blogging again - you are MISSED!

Thank you everyone. I feel very loved again.

BabelBabe said...

i love the camera jammed under your right bosom. it adds a certain j'ne sais quoi...

xoxobb

readersguide said...

Happy Birthday! And congrats on the photography, and here's hoping the new era is a good one!

victoria said...

Big congratultions on the photogrpahy gig - so cool. Hope you have a really good birthday next week. xxoooo

victoria said...

I mean, "congratulations".