10 February 2010

a mixed bottle of catch up

1. Proof that my sewing machine still works.

doorstop

On warm days we prop our front door open, usually with a rock. (Shut up, it's a lovely rock. It's rather a special rock actually, as I smuggled it home from Falls Creek last Easter when Mr Soup and I returned to the scene of our mountain home meeting twenty-three years ago, only this time with three offspring in tow. The Rock is a symbol. Oh yes).

Anyway, one night last week as the mister left for soccer training he said (rather hurtfully seeing as I am fond of The Rock) We have to get rid of this stupid rock. It's scratching the door and driving me crazy. When he returned an hour and a half later, not only had I made dinner, but had done some online research, rifled through my stash of Ikea furnishing fabrics, sewn a doorstop, stuffed it with rice (quick rethink regarding the risotto I had planned to make for aforementioned dinner but now could not), and put it in position by the front door. (ps. that's the doorstop there in the photo in case you were pondering).

I have never been so efficient in my life.

(The Rock is now an indoor doorstop where it continues to drive my husband crazy. Ha).

2. It's hot. Autumn, where aaaaaare you?

3. As I type, the eldest child is making Kool Aid and praising the Americans for their ingenuity. A drink! From coloured powder! (Teenagers have compromised taste buds).

4. The sunrises have been pretty this week.

summer sunrise

5. I have been thinking about Mary's and Alice's project of taking photos of a particular spot in their lives on a regular basis in different lights and seasons. I've been taking photos of our view for the past four years, and while I wanted to find a new spot to join in this project, the reality is that this is my favourite scene to photograph. (It's also the handiest). And so in 2010, I'm afraid once again you will be subjected to a whole slew of pictures of "Through my Kitchen Window". (As I typed that I turned around, noticed that the evening sky is particularly beautiful tonight, and took a photo. I'm back now. See what I mean by "handy"?)

Speaking of projects, I did join The Coffee Lady and Ali's flickr group The Changing Room and am having marvellous fun spying on what everyone wears, giving and receiving helpful feedback (well, theirs is helpful, mine tends to be OMG I love that skirt! and Where did you get that necklace? and I have major hair envy) and as a result being slightly more mindful of my wardrobe and making the most of what I already have. It also made me clean the bedroom mirror, so that was an added bonus. Then my boss took me window shopping at her favourite boutique and shoe shop in the city and I got all wanty again (we have a major bash coming up and she said we need something faaaabulous). Aarrghh.

6. We lit a candle and said a few words before dinner on Sunday night.

7. We had a new toilet installed through an initiative of our local water provider to subsidise the installation of dual flush loos in our region. Those of you who have multiple boy children will understand when I say that a fresh, new, modern and clean toilet in my house gives me great pleasure.

8. A reader of my blog astounded me with her generosity, and brought tears to my eyes this week. Thank you Gisella. Photos to come when the weather cools a bit.

9. I listened to Jane Eyre (narrated by Juliet Stevenson) on audiobook. Oh my word, the men in that book! I'd forgotten [spoiler alert] what harsh, unpleasant creatures they are. Yesterday I picked up two film versions of the story to watch while my own menfolk are at their interminable soccer training sessions. Also yesterday I finished reading Sarah Dunant's new book Sacred Hearts which I heartily recommend if you are into Renaissance Italy with particular focus on women in convents (you know you are). A ripping good story and I wish I could convince my bookgroup of the merits of historical fiction. Our bookgroup just read La Lacuna (by Barbara Kingsolver) with mixed feelings. Parts of the book dragged for me but overall I enjoyed it, and it prompted a re-viewing of that Salma Hayek film Frida with all its colour and glory, so that was a positive.

10. And in magpie news, I now have several brave birds who will take bread from my hand.



Ok then! We're all caught up.

(Tomorrow ... I shall show you The Rock. I know. You can't wait).

30 comments:

ginevra / occasional glimpses said...

Way too efficient! When you listed it out like that, wow hat a lot of things you've done/organised/thought recently!

agemel1 said...

Love the doorstop. How about posting a tutorial. I just made a doorstop yeaterday but mine was Biscornu shape. Not very successful as a doorstop.
Love the cute red shoes too. Can you share the brand?

rachel said...

A great post, full of good things. But the photo (and lots of your others) has turned into that Mac question mark for some reason - I haven't worked out why it does this if it's one of your own pictures, have you?

I heard Sacred Hearts on the radio, and it was superb, despite being greatly abridged. I have Juliet S's reading of Jane Eyre too, but it's been massacred by cutting big chunks from it - why, when the story is so good, and the reader so wonderful?

And, oh, those magpies! Such a treat every time! The singer reminds me of those little tin toys that when you turned a handle, played a few simple (metallic) notes - and if you turned it the other way, they played backwards and sounded rather like your magpie.

mooncalf said...

I too would love a tutorial on door-stop making.

One day I hope it will be warm enough to think of leaving doors open...

trasha said...

'Sacred Hearts', is that the one about the singing and the nuns? I heard it (I think it was that one) as an abridged book on Radio 4 recently.

BabelBabe said...

I was just saying, WHERE is this very special rock's photo? and then I got to your last line. But the doorstop is very cute.

I too noticed cute red shoes.

And I have grown quite fond of the view from your kitchen window. Also, am quite fond of clean, modern toilets.

as for autumn, well, another foot of snow dropped overnight -it's a veritable blizzard outside my window. I have been rereading Laura Ingalls' Little House books and feel quite at home.

India Daisy said...

That is a gorgeous DOOR STOP! Love the fabric...

RW said...

I really enjoyed Sacred Hearts; I found it fascinating to read about Renaissance religious life - I gave up on the Kingsolver novel - maybe it is summer novel.

blackbird said...

That's a very chic doorstop - poor Mr. Soup would be quite irritated at my house...rocks everywhere.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Re rock and husband : That'll larn'im .
And as for the Kool Aid , you weren't tempted to dye a hank or two of sock wool before they drank it all up ?

herhimnbryn said...

Oh, I do love your 'catch up' posts!
The men in Jane E. are horrible aren't they, but why is it still my favourite 'love' story? Could it be that I first read it it when I was 13? Could it be that I also waited each week to see the bbc serialization with Timothy Dalton as a very brooding Mr Rochester?

Pearly Queen said...

Did you think of glueing some wadding round the rock and then covering it with fabric? No more scratches on the floor...

librarygirl said...

I just adore the Timothy Dalton Jane Eyre tv adaptation - actually purchased it not long ago from Target. He is a gorgeous Mr Rochester. I remember being shocked that he is all of THIRTY NINE or something in the book - when I first read it as a teen I was picturing him as a pensioner I think!

Stacey said...

I love Jane Eyre. I must read it again.

The rock as a symbol - we have a rock too - or rather a bowl of them collected from a beach in Corfu some 15 years ago.

Found the small boys (who have necessitated the replacement of our own toilets - as the Mum of boys, you know what I mean) playing with the rocks recently. Not happy. I had to explain that they are not just any rocks, to which the husband asked what was so special about them.

I was mortified. To me they have special significance. To the husband, they are rocks.

Fioleta said...

I was wondering recently if anyone actually uses Cool Aid to make drinks, now I know.

We have some rocks for my daughter to play with and my special little rocks always get mixed up with them. Very efficient of you to make a lovely doorstop and dinner, I would just end getting distracted by all the interesting doorstops online.

alice c said...

That sunset! I am definitely upstaged before I have even started. Couldn't you choose something slightly less photogenic - like a shopping mall or suchlike?

Stomper Girl said...

You know, I think my favourite part of this wholly enjoyable post was the part where you had to rethink the risotto fro dinner because you needed arborio rice to fill your doorstop slash rock replacement. I think it makes your doorstop just that little bit posher.

travellersyarn said...

Love your brave babies.

My (former) book club read Jane Eyre last year - I think that it might be responsible for lots of over educated teenage girls tolerating bad behaviour from men.

Serena said...

The doorstop is so cute.

I LOVE your view photos (that one in particular is now one of my favorites).

And

Your shoes are so cute!

Serena said...

Agh, it's late and apparently my brain couldn't work beyond 'cute'. Sorry for the rather inane comment.

persiflage said...

Sacred Hearts is excellent. Sarah Dunant's two previous Renaissance Italy novels are very good too. I have just finished re-reading In the Company Of The Courtesan, which is set in Venice, and begins with a flight from Rome after it was sacked by the Emperor in 1527. It is always interesting, and very sobering to reflect on how recently women gained political, social, and economic rights, and how vulnerable they are.
There is a CD to go with Sacred Hearts, Sacred Hearts and Secret Music, with Musica Secreta and Celestial Sirens dda25077, which is just beautiful. The original intention was to release it with the book, but as the publisher wanted it free, it was released separately.

kel said...

Love your shoes.

eurolush said...

1.The view from your kitchen looks like something from a movie set. I'm in awe of the beauty. Truly.

2.Love the door stop! Adorable IKEA fabric! So cute.

3.You've looked exceedingly stylish on CL's flikr group lately...it makes me hestitant to post anything. How will it look when you're there in all your fashionable wear--and I'm in my p.j.'s? Not good. That's how.

4.Love, love, love the magpies. You know, of course, I'll be sending this to my mom--your biggest fan in Atlanta, donchaknow.

5. Jane Eyre on audio book? WANT!

XX E

vaguelyspecific said...

Brilliant newsy catch-up and how bloody efficient you've been! Love the doorstop but we have one of those clip to the wall-at-the-bottom things and I'm still enjoying de-cluttering too much. Otherwise I'd be copying it instead of typing this! ;-)

Melissa Van Oort said...

Oh, The Rock! That sounds just like me and my husband (and he's a geologist and appreciative of rocks!). I think your rock is a lovely symbol, even with the paint scratches. And boys and toilets....AMEN!

Meggie said...

Your posts make satisfying reading. I will have to return again. I notice all the vids on blogger have gone missing today. grrr.

Meggie said...

I did return, & I just love them!!
And your shoes!!

peppermintpatcher said...

I came to see the rock. I know it's special and lovely, surely it deserves a blog post...

Jody said...

my golden retriever LOVED the sounds of your birds!!! What fun! Thank you!

Kaylovesvintage said...

nice blog you got

love the birds