17 February 2010

The Rock

a doiley on a rock

Behold the Rock, which is now an inside doorstop.

But! Wrapped in a doiley a la Resurrection Fern's pebbles to stop it scratching the doors.

(It's not a pebble though, it's a bloody great rock that weighs a ton. Perhaps that's a symbol too).

If you should choose to cover your own rock with a doiley (and I know lots of you are rushing to your gardens and linen cupboards right now to source the perfect Rock and doiley), here is how to do it. Wrap the doiley tightly over the rock, turn over, cut the doiley to fit, walk the few paces it takes to reach your sewing kit and sew the ends together. This is important. Do not think, oh that tube of Superglue is much closer, I'll just use that instead, for this will lead to you glueing the Superglue tube to your right middle finger, the panicked spillage of impossible-to-remove drops of Superglue all over the kitchen bench due to the ensuing trauma over your finger, many tears, painful tugging and half a bottle of nail polish remover.

You have been warned.


**************************************
Some answers:
The shoes are from Target at Greensborough Plaza.
The doorstop tutorial was found here. I didn't use a zip though, just sewed it all up.

ps. blogging is taking a back seat around here as it's Birthday Central at the moment. Also, I'm spinning spinning spinning most nights! I'm over at Flickr most days though. Just click on any photo on my blog and it will take you to my Flickrstream.

18 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

Oh Suse. I'm trying not to laugh at your superglue induced trauma, but I'm failing. Truly sorry.

bellsknits said...

GENIUS!

peppermintpatcher said...

Glorious!

LemonyRenee' said...

LOL!

Fioleta said...

I once showed the Resurrection Fern's pebbles to my husband and his totally terrified facial expression was priceless. I suspect if I had a rock doorstop covered in doily he would avoid coming anywhere close to that door. :-D

However I do think your rock looks stunning in its new outfit, so I'm glad the solution to scratching the door works for you and your family.

Isabelle said...

Did you crochet that doily? No? Shame on you...

I'm so glad you explained about your grass in your magpie post. That's grass? Hm. Here it's green. How strange and various the world is. Yes, I realise that it would be green in Australia too if it rained more. But all the same. Hm. Thimbleanna told me, to my astonishment, that in Indiana grass is brown after a winter spent covered in snow. I never realised that all-year-green grass was a phenomenon. I'll give it more respect in future.

We don't need door stops in Scotland. Or, very seldom. We need doors to keep the draughts out.

Duyvken said...

L O V E.
This is going on my projects list.
I have also glued a tube of superglue to myself. I was not happy. In fact, I found it quite claustrophobic and I was worried that I was going to be attached to it forever. Luckily, I had acetone nail polish remover in the house.

rosa p. said...

great to see, what is going on at the other side of the world!!

and: i love that rock.

RW said...

I love the new banner.

eurolush said...

I love the banner, too.

And the rock.

The best use for a doiley EVER.

Anna of Helylle said...

I'm fascinated to learn that down-under the magpies are white on the back rather than on the belly like the ones I have in my garden. Never once thought about feeding them though, they scare all the cute small birds away...

MsCellania said...

And I have just the doiley to use - now to find a rock that fits it!
GREAT IDEA.
We currently have a brick that youngest decorated in school this past Christmas season, but it is scratching the floor - even with the felted bottom. Guess I could felt all the sides....?

Lynn said...

Does R. Fern ever sell those things, or just pictures of them? Because any time I've visited her shop, it's just the pix. My bathroom door stays open courtesy of a great rock I swiped from Omaha Beach in France when I was in high school. I feel a little guilty admitting that I have it. Perhaps it needs a doily, although it would become dust-encrusted instantly.

(My official reason for being here is to prove that I am indeed older than you are. But alas, no age listed on your profile...)

Anonymous said...

Hello Pea Soup. I have been reading your blog since around the beginning but havent commented much beause of "blogger". Anyways I love checking in and seeing what is going on always so original. Love the rock will be going outside and finding a rock and doilyfying it this weekend!!!!
prettykat99@yahoo.com

pinry said...

love your doorstop! i've seen resurrection fern's pebbles and thought how lovely they were, but your version is so appealing as it combines function with doiley-covered-rock-iness.

Karen said...

This is a fabulous idea! I have a number of doilies that have been passed down through the family. What to do with them? Now I know!

michelle said...

Oh my.... superglue. we call it 'hurting glue' in our house to discourage small people from handling it.

Love the rock. love it.

Mxx

Jolie said...

That doily rock is seven shades of fabulous!!!

(and I'm trying not to laugh at your superglue antics, honestly I am...but I confess I'm failing miserably - if only because the superglue and I have met before. Several times. And I *know* exactly what you're talking about!)