6 April 2010

Obligatory Easter Post

I seem to have lost the knack of writing here. Posts lie about my head unwritten, dustbunnies lurk in the corner, ennui prevails.

There has been plenty going on though, true enough. Shall we do this in bullet points?

• a fun swap with the talented Tania led to the most lovely parcel arriving in the letterbox ...

swapsies, with the gorgeous Tania

• in fact I've been thoroughly spoilt lately with more tea towels ...

auntie cookie tea towel
Eye chart tea towel from the fabulous Auntie Cookie, just because.

and gifts ...

i have the bestest friends
Exquisite birthday gifts from a dear friend

and winnings ...

paper crane pattern and linen yarn
Habu linen yarn and a Paper Crane pattern, from Kirsten at assemblage

and more winnings ...

knitting needle case & addi turbos
Knitting needle case, chocolate (long gone) and two pairs of Addi Turbos from Lesley at Chapter III

uhh, where was I? Oh yes, the bullet points.

• an essay was wrung out of me composed and the SEND UPLOAD button pressed [phew] at three minutes to midnight

• lime pudding was constructed and consumed. Thank you for all your lime suggestions! The British remained true to type and mostly recommended marmalade, while the Americans all suggested something called Key Lime Pie, which I googled and discovered is a dish native to Florida, made with special Key Limes which are, according to wikipedia, round and yellow and quite unlike the Tahitian Limes we have here. It looks quite like lemon meringue pie though. (I didn't make it, sorry).

• an Easter egg hunt for six children, aged 3 to 16, took place in the wilds of the tea tree scrub on the Mornington Peninsula, followed by a glorious day at the beach. Throughout the day we took turns at exclaiming how amazing it was to be swimming at a beach at Easter. This is the first Easter in some years that we haven't been camping in the mountains. (Same boy-heavy families though, it's Easter tradition).

easter 2010

• Sons #1 and 2's indoor soccer team made it to the grand final and won, for the second year running! Nail-biting stuff.

• several books have been read and/or listened to. The History Boys by Alan Bennett, marvellously adapted to become a BBC radio play; Salley Vickers' Dancing Backwards which was up to her usual wonderfully high standard; Labyrinth by Kate Mosse which held my interest mostly but the writing was pretty ordinary (it featured one of Pavlov's Cat's pet hates - the 'slither of light', amongst other corkers), and now The Darling Buds of May as a little light relief before I crack the spine of Wolf Hall. I loved Sarah Dunant's Sacred Hearts - I even went to our local library to hear her speak and spent an outrageous amount of money buying not only the book (I had already read a library copy) but the accompanying cd, and asking Ms Dunant to sign them. She was very entertaining and utterly charming, I am pleased to report. And by god she can talk for hours without pause.

(I totally sucked up by telling her that a lecturer on Renaissance Italy had recommended her books to me as being 'a bit racy but the research is spot on', to which she positively squealed. A bit).

• lastly, there was a truly fabulous extended Craft Camp at Sewjourn that Jenny and StomperGirl organised and kindly invited me to. My spinning wheel didn't even make it out of the car but my sewing machine (and knitting) made up for it and I now have a couple of pairs of new pants and one and a half new skirts to show for it. Interestingly my camera didn't get touched once so I have nothing to show you, but it was a refreshing change to be in the moment itself rather than thinking about recording the moment. Anyway, Stomper's report says it all beautifully so I'll just point you in that direction rather than try and repeat it here. Suffice to say it were grand. Thanks for the invitation Jen and Stomper - it's very nice to be wanted.

17 comments:

eurolush said...

Well aren't you a busy little bee?

Just came back from a visit to Stomper Girl's Sewjourn post. Looks like another fab weekend was had by all.

Can't wait to see what you made!

Badger said...

Am horrified that my fellow country(wo)men recommended key lime pie to you when clearly, you are not growing KEY limes.

Of course, I had no suggestions myself. I probably would have made pitcher after pitcher of margaritas with them.

Stomper Girl said...

I'm putting in another plug for the lime and coconut tart I made today because damn it's good.

I've just cracked the spine of Wolf Hall and the word on it -which I endorse- is that you have to concentrate like mad to keep up with which point of view is whose, but so far so good.

PS I enjoyed your company at craft camp trimmensely! We still need to fine tune the details of our literary tour of Great Britain when the kids are older.

Shammickite said...

Thanks for the book recommendations, I always make a note of the books you mention as I think your taste in reading is the same as mine.
And my recommendation to you... 2 books I have just read that you might like.... both by Chris Cleave... Little Bee and Incendiary. Fascinating.

Amy said...

is that a crocheted leaf? Is the leaf real or fake? I'm loving the look of it and need more details!

herhimnbryn said...

The History Boys and Dancing backwards, have recently been read and thorougly enjoyed here too. I have had Wolf Hall reco. so may take it on a long flight to the UK.

I have crocheted gum leaf envy now!

fifi said...

mmmm.....I think I would rip off one off my fingers and throw it into the air to be able to attend lectures on Renaissance Italy....

But anyway, My lime tree has stopped fruiting. :-(

and I have blog-block. So I am glad you haven't.

Stacey said...

That Habu yarn and pattern looks just lovely. I'm sure you'll have it knitted up in no time.
Your weekend at Sewjourn sounds fantastic. I do hope I'm able to come along to one at some point.
As for that literary tour - do you mind if I invite myself along?

Jen said...

You can make lime pie with limes that aren't Key Limes. (I've no access to key limes). It will be different, but still yummy and nothing whatsoever like lemon meringue pie. Also? No Marshmallow Fluff required.

Still, as I was typing, the Angel of Comnmenting did tap me on the shoulder to tell me you would not make this.

Karen said...

You can use ordinary limes for key lime pie. It's good. Trust me.

Sharon said...

Oh suse I NEARLY got to the library that night - only we had been the week before to the Swan Thieves - Elizabeth Kostova night... What a pity I missed you... Damn!!! Sounds like you are way too busy... But that seems to be the way of life doesn't it...

DrChopSuey said...

You HAVE been busy!

I just love that tea towel so unique!

sewjourn said...

I know the feeling of being too busy and not actually sitting down to do a post....sometimes it's not a good one but I'm glad you had a relaxing weekend at Sewjourn

Rae said...

I love that Cherished cup. What a lovely gift!

victoria said...

Oh that leaf in the first photo is SO GOOD!!

Tania said...

Lots of thorough spoilings as far as the eye can see - most excellent. Now when are you negotiating a deal with the Writing Knack Whatsit? If you don’t mind me sayin', I'm missing the bloggy hit of wit, word and reportage.

Isabelle said...

Oh, a lovely cheery upbeat post. Things are a bit downbeat here so it's great to read that the whole world isn't embroiled in troubles!