15 April 2010

That muse, she has not yet returned.

In a rather indulgent flash of momentary madness, I recently cast on two separate silk shawls.

seasilk nightsongs

That's the infamous Gail/Nightsongs shawl (I'm not sure why it has two names, it just does) that causes people over on Ravelry to tear their hair out both angst over and rave about. I'm knitting it in Handmaiden Seasilk, a delicious concoction of silk and seaweed (true! I'm knitting with seaweed) in the 'Mahogany' colourway. That inelegant football-shaped ball of yarn cunningly blurred out in the background was my first attempt at using my new nostepinne to wind a skein of yarn into a ball. I plan to improve over time.

silk lusciousness

This creamy lusciousness is a pure silk shawl knitted in a pattern known as 198 yards of Heaven. I intend to amend my own project's name to reflect both the metric system in use in Australia and the final meterage of yarn used, upon completion.

It will be a gift for a friend whose birthday deadline it will surely miss due to the sheer amount of stuff going on in the rest of my life (ie. the [shock!] 23 hours of each day not devoted to knitting) at present. I also plan to dye it green, ensuring its final completion date is delayed yet further. *Heavy sigh* ...

I cleaned the study

In other news, I cleaned the study and lo, it was good.

9 comments:

BabelBabe said...

is that little green bead a stitch marker? SO cute.

I am currently knitting dishcloth after dishcloth. I seem to be fixated. However, I did just buy a pattern for a v-neck cardi that I am contemplating knitting in some sort of hunter Malabrigo, purchased with my about-to-expire discount (thus justifying the expense of many skeins of lovely Malabrigo).

I. MUST. download. Skype today - did I tell you I have a webcam now? we can SEE each other. do I have to clean MY office, though?

xov

ginevra / occasional glimpses said...

Hah! There's so much I plan to improve over time. I'm sure you will improve; me aahh, we'll see!

They'll both be lovely shawls when they're finished...maybe just enjoy the yarns without too much rushing? If you can?

peppermintpatcher said...

Impressively clean office. Silk sounds lovely!

M said...

that's it, after I finish the crochet blanket you've inspired me to return to knitting. Something dastardly methinks.

Prism said...

Birthday Gifts (and Christmas Gifts, for that matter!) are still great (and more of a surprise) 5 or 6 (or 10) months after the event! I would STILL adore receiving that shawl--even YEARS after the particular birthday! It's LUSCIOUS!

readersguide said...

The shawls are lovely, but the OFFICE! Blinding!

pinry said...

although splendid, it's a shame the office tidy-ing had to impinge on your knitting time as well. glad the shawl addiction is still with you. i'm itching to cast on another too. those silk yarns sound scrummy - let us know how they are to knit with.

Isabelle said...

Care to come and wield a duster round my study?

rachel said...

AM impressed - especially by the circular needles. How do you manage not to have them springing up at you in all directions and trying to throttle you? I had to give up.