1 May 2010

and lo it was good

Stern words have come from certain quarters, demanding to know why I haven't posted yet about what was, possibly, the Best Craft Camp Ever.

To be honest, I didn't know where to start. How to properly articulate something that blossomed way beyond my expectations?

So I began with the obvious. The downloading of squillions of photographs. A small minority of which you see here.

sewjourn April 2010 mosaic

The Anzac [long!] weekend at Sewjourn included a tap lesson, fabulous massage, heavenly food, a raucous game of Pictionary, some quiet moments and lots of hilarity.

Oh and we made a few things too. I was pleased to complete two pairs of trousers, and then, mulling over whether to next make a bag (nah ...) or a green wool jacket (naaaah ...), I decided to jump in on a project I've been tippytoeing around in my head.

My first quilt!

Made out of (real quilters, look away now) vintage cotton sheets from the op shop, and backed with another vintage flannelette sheet also from the op shop. Cheap! Slightly wonky! Cosy!

Jan helps with placement

Resident master quilter Jan helped with placement of the squares blocks. That photo was taken around midnight I think.

quilt top complete, next morning

The next morning I sewed the top together, ta da!

By the end of the day OMG it was done and we blatantly plagiarised the fancy quilting books took some arty shots out in the paddock. (Here).

And now I am totally reading quilting blogs and planning my next quilt. Quilting! Quilting is fun. Who knew?

There was also photography, writing, embroidery, knitting, dressmaking, felting and more quilting than you could poke a stick at, all by the best bunch of interesting, thoughtful, creative, brilliant, fun women you could ever find. Wow. Thank you all, friends.

More photos here.

29 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

You see, just start writing and the blogpost will come. Well done you!

I love your arty quilt shots.

Thank you so much for organising it, you and Janet. You gave us all a fabulous fabulous weekend xx

Kim said...

Congrats on the first quilt!!! I love it! I'm actually on the hunt for some vintage sheets myself! Yours turned out great!

peppermintpatcher said...

ME! ME! I knew it was fun. I'm so glad you have joined in.

Psst... Kirsty is a real quilter and she makes quilts out of vintage sheets from the op shop too.

~Molly~ said...

Yup pepper is right! Real quilters use vintage sheets to make quilts. And they hoard them like crazy too. But I wouldn't know anything about that! Lets just say... Now I'm InSPiReD!!!

LemonyRenee' said...

I love the idea of using vintage bedsheets . . . it sort of makes a quilt of sweet dream karma.

Ahh, the fellowship of creative women is something I cravely deeply. That said, this weekend is the much renowned Sheep & Wool Festival right here in my own state. Am I going? No. Partly because I have enough yarn to knit myself a house, but mostly because I don't have a good IRL knitting buddy. I have resolved to make a good enough knitting buddy to take to the Festival next year, though.

Tracey said...

looks like you had a fabulous time. I adore your quilt top!

Rose Red said...

Crafty weekends are THE BEST! Looks like so much fun. And I LOVE your quilt! Just fabulous.

Janet said...

Oh my, your photos from last weekend just glow! Was it really only a weekend ago?

I had a fabulous time, truly excellent and inspiring. What a fabulous group of women! Although I am still doing domestic catchup (not helped by devastation left by seven children on Friday night who were inside watching dvds and devising play scenarios involving outside toys inside, dirt, lego, playcloths and vast amounts of small plastic figures everywhere, while their parents sat around the fire outside) I can't wait for the next. Oi perhaps I'd better go and write my own blogpost.

Janet said...

ps do you realise that you can see my nipple in that photo of the aqua top? Even in the thumbnail? IRL it shows even with layers underneath. I am choosing not to be bothered by this. Everyone has nipples right?

Suse said...

Even men and Steiner camels.

Leslie said...

how wonderful..looks like a great time was had by all!

Laura Jane said...

who knew? ME!!

Oh it all looks so wonderful. I really need me a dose of crafting.....sigh.

Uli said...

Very impressed with the first quilt. And I'm guessing it's super soft given what it's made of.

Sounds like a great weekend all around.

Frogdancer said...

My pin tin made it into the mosaic!!!

Isabelle said...

I want to come... How lovely.

Kate said...

Quilting. Is. Fun!

Here's some overshare for Janet. My nipples pretty much always look like I'm cold. I've stopped caring because I am just not going to wear layers or put on bandaids to stop them showing through my tshirts. If people don't like it, tough. If they DO like it... tough! ;)

Sue said...

well I'm a quilter and I use vintage sheets quite a bit, I love them. Your quilt is so pretty, love your sheet selection.

Tania said...

And lo, she is one with the Dark Side...

What better way to cut the tippytoeing with Real Quilty Types on hand. It's beautiful. Even more so for any wonk. More wonk makes for extra cosy. Scientifically Proven Fact.

Jolie said...

looks like a gorgeously fun weekend!

Quilting...welcome to the dark side! mwahahahaha!

Meggie said...

All the favourites! LoveXX

eurolush said...

You've captured all the fun and creativity in your amazing photos! Love the mosaic.

And REALLY LOVE the quilt. So adorable. Perfect to snuggle up with on the couch.

Di said...

Yay- very excited to see your first quilt! Very you, what with the op shop fabrics. Only a matter of time before you're making them with Ikea fabrics! (or Japanese prints?)
Glad to hear that you all had such a good weekend. I spent my Monday "holiday" at work, but that's another story..

Koyuki Design said...

Your photos are simply amazing...It always captures best angle. Thanks again for the great weekend. It seems like a long time ago that I was in Sewjourn...I wonder why?

Wendy said...

I most certainly will not look away - It's wonderful!!

I'm forever cutting up op shop finds for sewing. My local quilting friends tell me that sheets are only a problem if you want to hand quilt the final product. Like I'm going to handquilt anything larger than a doll's blanket...

librarygirl said...

my pillowcases would look very nice with that quilt

Fe said...

I LOVE the quilt! Very groovy!

You know, I think I'll have to start sewing again JUST so that i can come to a craft camp one of these years.

xo

Jeanette said...

Holy cow! That sounds like a totally awesome camp! Wish we had something like that in Sweden! I am NOT very much in to quilts but with a camp like that even I would have made one!

Thanks for charing!
Jeanette

PS Your quilt was lovely!

MsCellania said...

Oh - you've made a lovely, soft Reading Wrapper for yourself!
I have a few friends who are new stitchers & bitchers -- and I'm going to borrow your club name and attempt to do a sewing/knit/crochet/craft camp up in the mountains this summer.

victoria said...

You're killing me.
LOVE the quilt and the opshop materials used to make it.