28 May 2010

batwing

Springtime Bandit shawlette

Another shawl, for me this time. This shawl[ette] (it's quite tiny) is the Springtime Bandit shawl, a free pattern available on Ravelry.

Springtime Bandit shawlette

Super easy, and quick too but that would be because I ran out of yarn about a third of the way through the border and had to grab a leftover scrap of cream sock yarn from the stash to do another row and cast off. I think it looks ok but I'd like to do the pattern again with the entire border.

Springtime Bandit shawlette

The main yarn was an unknown blue-green sock yarn from the stash, but now I'm wondering whether it was actually a sport weight. It didn't stretch much or open out with blocking. Either way, I'm happy.

Springtime Bandit shawlette

I was intending to overdye this shawl a dark charcoal colour, but I ended up adding a smidge of a wine-hued colour to the grey to give it a gothic edge. I like how the lighter yarn remained lighter even when dyed - the contrast pleases me.

If you look carefully you can see tiny specks of the green showing through in the lace parts of the shawl - it looks as though I've beaded the shawl. (A happy accident).

These photos make it look a lot more purple than it is in real life. The camera was compensating for the wintry light I think.

Ravelled here (complete with details and shots of the shawl when it was green).

18 comments:

Rose Red said...

It's lovely! Glad you mentioned about the green - it really does look like beads!

I must finish mine...

peskypixies said...

gorgeous!!!!!!!

Meggie said...

It is gorgeous. I am sure Stomper would covet the colour that appears on my screen!

Anne said...

Beautiful, I love the colour too! :)

One Flew Over said...

So, so, so beautiful!

Jill said...

That's absolutely beautiful.

I wish I were a shawl wearer - there are some beautiful patterns out there.

pod and three peas said...

it does look just like the fruit bats that fly over our house every night, gorgeous :)

kgirl said...

lovely! I too thought you'd been busy beading the skein, so very impressed with the over-dyed effect

Anonymous said...

Great shawl - and I love your blog! I'm a long-time lurker guiltily catching up on your previous posts while I'm supposed to be at work....see, you're not the only one finding displacement activities....

kim at allconsuming said...

Really really lovely.

Jenny said...

Ooops. Anon here again - with a name this time. Forgive me, I'm new to this sort of thing...said I was a lurker, didn't I?

peppermintpatcher said...

Beeeeautiful! All the best bats are wearing purple/wine this season. (not that you're a bat... not at all!)

Laura said...

Very pretty! I love the contrast between the edging and body.

Lynn said...

Am I the only one who thinks it looks wonderfully Halloween-ish? Stunning. And I am relieved, as I was a-feared that your batwing title was referring to jiggly middle aged lady arms...

Sharon said...

Ohhhh I so wish I could knit!!!! A scarf or two is my limit - but these shawls are so beautiful and I am so jealous.... I sure you must feel like a magical princess when wrapped in one of those.... In all seriousness they are beautiful S...

Stacey said...

I do love your shawl pics and the lace patterns are divine. The thing that has always put me off knitting one myself is that I don't know how I'd wear it. Do you think you could post a couple of pics of you in the shawls? I'd love to see your sartorial shawl style.

Serena said...

Everything you make is so beautiful. The colors, the patterns, everything is lovely.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful pattern and color ! :D