1 July 2010

we have a winner

li li li lilies

Thanks for all your comments and blogiversary messages. Here's to another 35 dog years! Emma, your number came up in the random number generator and a copy of the beautiful Nicky Epstein book will be winging its way to you shortly. Thanks so much.

In other news ...

It's school holidays here [again] so on my days off I'm flat out playing Monopoly and taking children shoes shopping and buying groceries to feed them, oh and feeding them. In the evenings I've been quilting. I know! Did I tell you I've crossed over to the dark side? (Probably because I just tried to conquer nupps and it was traumatic so you know, time to dump the knitting and try a new craft, right?)

quilt wip

I haven't yet made it to a quilt shop to look at batting, so I've just continued to make more and more quilt tops. I'm on my fourth so far. Why yes, I did have quite a large stash. Ahem. I'd better buy some batting soon so that I can spend the next two decades worth of evenings handquilting.

quilt wip

That's the one I made mostly at craft camp, and finished off the following week.

Then I made another. And another.

Whoo, it's addictive. Time to create a new blog label.

17 comments:

sueeeus said...

I recognize some of that stash!!!

Mary said...

I just KNOW you are going to be wonderful at quilting !!

Emma said...

Thanks so much Suse! I am very excited about the book, as I have some leftover bits of Noro just begging to be made into flowers.

Funny thing about nupps ... they were the skill I learnt this week, but I have learnt a cheat's method, where you gather all the stitches back together before you move on, rather than on the next row. The link is a video called Easy Peasy Nupps, if you're worried I am about to rick roll you and prefer to Google!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSIzYLbasHY

I love the fabrics you are using.

Anonymous said...

lovely quilt. please show more of your work. I have just begun to quilt and am bursting with ideas too. My knitting is still a companion that goes with me when I leave the house. Nupps are a pain..even with the kind Nancy's tutiledge. Will have to look at easy peasy. Thanks.

Suse said...

Emma, that youtube video is brilliant! I'm going home tonight to rip out my last nupp row and use that method, and then hopefully I'll have the correct stitch count and can continue.

Also, I just learnt what rickrolling is. Same as duckrolling! You learn [two new] something[s] every day!

Anonymous, I will show more pics I promise.

Suse said...

Sueeeus, yes, I am making good use of both your gifts, and the fabrics I bought in Seattle :)

Eleanor said...

Nupp rhymes with soup. That's very handy to remember for any future limericks I may need to write in your commentbox.

But this commentbox contains a secret.

Shhh...

Come a bit closer...

I am going to have a private crochet lesson tomorrow morning.

Really.

I like the fact that there's only one needle.

gis said...

Great work! MAybe I shall decide to follow you and start to reduce my fabric stash too?

Janet said...

Just had to go and watch a nupp being knitted on youtube. Hard! No wonder you are quilting. Not that quilting is a total doddle (far from it). I showed my new knitter friend your ravelry page today and she was v. impressed.

I need an extra couple of hours in the day. Just for craft.

Alby Mangroves said...

Hearts! Really love the long strips Suse :) And 4 tops? You're gonna be busy alright!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Darn! (I didn't win the book.)
Congratulations! (To Emma.)
WooHoo! (Another convert -- Yipee Skipeeee!!!!)

Apple Tree Dream said...

Now I know what Nupp is. :-) It looks pretty easy to do with a crochet hook, but I bet that it is pretty tricky with knitting needles.

Looking forward to seeing your finished handquilted quilts.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

HOW many ??
It takes me that long to gather the fabric ,drink tea ,admire fabric ,drink tea ,buy more fabric ,admire new possibilities , drink tea ,change my mind ,pour a glass of wine .....

RW said...

quilting hey?
I am considering a project for when my children graduate - if I start now the odds are good.

victoria said...

Oh! How nice is that last photo from your quilting adventures, beautiful fabric combinations (all different prints of roses?). I'm looking forward to seeing more of them.

sewjourn said...

You really HAVE crossed over the dark side!!! Welcome! You'll enjoy..... Sorry I haven't gotten back to you about coffee...would love to when we come back from our holiday xx

Christie said...

oh, quilting is so addictive!