5 August 2010

Dad socks

I bravely gave my dad a pair of handknitted socks for his birthday.

quickie socks

I'd been hesitant to in the past (not least because my mother has a tendency to adopt a bemused expression and say Why would you bother to knit socks? and really, I can't be bothered with that conversation any more) because they live in hot hot sunny hot Queensland. But this winter Dad had said that the evenings had been chilly so I thought I'd warm up his elderly English toes with some handmade goodness, and after all they live barely over the border into Queensland so I reasoned they're within spitting distance of wintry woolly country.

socks for Dad

I wanted quick, thick and warm, and these fitted the bill perfectly. They're made from 8ply (DK weight) superwash so can be thrown in the washing machine, and each sock took only a couple of evenings' worth of knitting. Never mind that I actually knitted three socks because I didn't want to do the prescribed short row garter heels and tried to wing a heel flap before deciding to conquer the heel after all (because if I can conquer nupps I can do most [sing along with me] aaanny-thiiiing). Et voila, with the help of a YouTube tutorial, I successfully executed my very first short row garter heels. What did we do before this modern internetty thing, eh? (Answer: asked our grandmothers).

socks for Dad

This is the actual true colour (Bendigo Woollen Mills 'Claret'). Those other shots were taken on a very dull day and my camera decided the socks were pink.

The pattern is the Quickie Socks, taken from the hilariously titled book The Joy of Sox which is filled with suggestive flirty photos and sock patterns titled Afternoon Delight, Morning Glory, Red Hot Lovers, Foreplay and so on. The joke goes on a little too long but some of the socks in there are magnificent. I'm looking forward to making the rather beautiful Make Up Socks soon (for me), once I learn how to do toe up construction. More assistance from Grandma Google needed.


(Dad's quickies are ravelled here).

24 comments:

rachel said...

Your dad should love them! If he had a traditional English upbringing, he'll associate socks with Christmas presents. Your mum might suck her teeth and mutter about whether or not they need to be hand-washed.....

Kate said...

Oh and here I was thinking that not only did you knit your Dad socks but you knitted him HOT pink socks. Oh well it was not to be and they are in fact claret. Pretty gorgeous though. I think knitting socks is the ultimate. I'll get there one day.

M said...

8ply socks? I think I could get my sock-making mojo back with that pattern...

Why knit socks? Because they are a ferrari to the store-bought Lada Niva that's why.

kirsty said...

Suse, if you can knit lace, you can master toe up socks. They're a cinch! :-)

Stomper Girl said...

After reading all those sock names from your book your blog title sounds slightly wrong to me now.

I love the line Grandma Google. Stealing it!

shula said...

I did wonder about the pink (not that there's anything wrong with that)

LemonyRenee' said...

I'm glad to read they are not actually hot pink. Nice work!

Lynn said...

Here, my friend, is where you lost me: "...and each sock took only a couple of evenings' worth of knitting."

If I were to attempt something like this, it would be my magnum opus and would take me ten years to complete, after which I would instantly fall over dead.

(Desperately disappointed that they aren't actually pink. Nothing would make my life worth living more than imagining an elderly English gentleman in Queensland snuggled into a pair of pink socks. NOTHING.)

Rzimmerman said...

What a lovely daughter you are...yes, folks will say that knitting socks is a bit irrelevant - but what a nice little luxury - for you and for him..cheers!

KT said...

You should search for Judy's Magic Cast-On. It is brilliant and dead simple. You will love it!

katiecrackernuts said...

SO, did your da like them and did you manage to avoid an eye roll from your ma?
You have a Pentax, right? My Pentax flares pink too. I haven't yet worked out on the camera how to correct it but anything with pink takes the most adjustment in my photo editing. Usually I don't edit the pics much at all.

Ali said...

I thougt your Dad had braver colour tastes than mine for a while there. Also, my Father's feet are way too big to be knitting him socks anytime soon.

Janet said...

They are beautiful! But oh you are a brave soul! (I'm thinking of my own craft appreciation challenged bits of the family here)

Still I'm pretty sure that once your dad puts them on one chilly night, he will totally get handmade socks. Your mum might even want some too!

One day, I too will knit socks. One day. And give some to my dad.

Melissa Ellen (the storytree at Honeybee) said...

Nothing better than handknitted socks!!! Yummy!

Kate said...

Don't you know that you can buy a packet of three freom target for a dollar?

My wretched aunt the other day, no lie, said 'why would you ever knit a BLANKET!' and then asked me 'what's that you're knitting on, Kate'.

Answer? A blanket.

daintee said...

I've just been knitting my first ever project--a baby blanket for my soon-to-arrive daughter. It's quite addicting, I must say! Would love to work my way up to other cozy things, like these socks! I think these are a terrific gift!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh, now I think I need that book -- your description is excellent. Beautiful socks. It drives me crazy when people ask the why would you waste your time doing that question. I hope your Dad loved his socks!

Tania said...

I have many nice things to say about sighs of toasty footed contentment and Mum coming over to the dark side and colour choices and cracking the heel and all that – but I'm too much at sixes and sevens. There's something very wrong about the phrase 'Dad's quickies'...

Pom Pom said...

Your dad will love them. They are so cushy! Bravo!

little women said...

Oh Suse we are up on holiday in our little old caravan in Queensland and I would LOVE a pair of warm hand knitted socks. It is SO SO SO chilly here in the evenings. My family roll their collective eyes and call what I do CWAFT!!! Mock me not, for I make these things with love I say :)

zephyr said...

Grandma Google!
love it

Meggie said...

I would almost be prepared to kill your father, to gain possession of those socks!!!
Lucky lucky Bugger!

Homesteadgirl said...

The best gift to give a knitter is handknit socks. Seriously! I rarely knit things for myself, so when my mom's friend gave me a gift of wonderful socks after my third babe was born, I experienced a feeling of being completely, gloriously pampered. Hope your dad loved them. And short row heels? Never heard of them, but brilliant idea! Love the way they look.

Lisa said...

I think its a wonderful gift! If my daughter knitted socks for me, I'd wear them all the time!