17 September 2010

weekend refreshment

lichen

Craft weekend was, with the exception of the floods (and a couple of related nerve-wracking moments such as roads closing, the studio leaking, and all the lights going off) and the demise of the stork's bum, magnificent as usual. We had a delightful mix of old hands and newbies along for the ride, and the usual staples of laughter, relaxation, truly sublime food, massage, a bit o' craftin, and fabulous company were had. One of my favourite parts of craft weekends are the evenings spent knitting and nattering by the fire, fuelled by wine and home baked goodies; I think I knitted more this time than I ever have before and managed to come home with several new baby hats all ready for various imminent arrivals. Mission accomplished in the most enjoyable way possible.

blue skies over the hills

I haven't yet photographed what I made - a pair of flannelette pj bottoms from a vintage floral sheet, the baby hats, a tiny stork hat (I did photograph that one and ravelled it - priorities, people), some cutting and piecing of blue squares for my next quilt, and the successful pinning of a [different] quilt sandwich so it's all ready for some nights of peaceful handquilting by the fire. (Big shout out to Kate for the provision of a packet of safety pins when I realised that Son #2 had emptied my sewing tin of all its safety pins for the punk party he was attending on the Saturday night).

magda on the phone

The weather was quite a feature of this weekend; the wildest storms seen in a long time, with driving torrential rain for hours and hours on end, all through the night and all day long the next day. The road north of Lancefield was closed, the road south has some impressive new potholes, and one distressed damsel's car had to be pulled out of a bog late in the night by a knight in fluoro armour (the man in the little yellow RACV van) who showed up in the midst of the tempest to rescue her.

tania's cottons

The sun came out on Sunday finally, the floodwaters receded slightly and we tried to cram a weekend's photo opportunities into a few hours.

daffs with floral quilt behind

I always come home from our craft weekends refreshed rather than depleted despite the late nights, filled with gratitude (and renewed affection) for my family who wave me off with love and support, and deep thankfulness to have found a place like Sewjourn (thank you Jan, for finding my blog all those years ago and suggesting we might like to try Sewjourn when the renovations were finished) and a wonderful community of women with which to share it.

in the studio

Thanks to Janet, Caroline, Kate, Felicity, Magda, Gill, Tania and Kaye for a lovely lovely weekend of friendship, laughter and inspiration. Here's to many more.

kate

(More photos here).

16 comments:

Sarah said...

I continue to wish for such a spot here. Perhaps I will have to make it myself.

Allison said...

Your craft weekend photos are always so inspiring for me!

meg said...

a whole weekend! what a luxury--you are a lucky lady. And that top picture couldn't be more beautiful.

LemonyRenee' said...

Oh, how I yearn for a weekend like this. Your beautiful photos brighten my day, today and always.

Jen said...

It sounds heavenly. Are there naps, too? Maybe you better not tell me.

Suse said...

Jen, there are massages, a big old fashioned claw foot bath for afterward, and then naptime. Totally.

lisette said...

twas most excellent fun - even the bogging :) and thank you for restoring me to damsel status! matron in distress isn't nearly as glamorous

Alby Mangroves said...

Thanks Suse, it really was wonderful, wasn't it? Of course, it always is, food, company and all. I've loved your quilt-tops so much that I've decided to follow in your 'like' colourscheme footsteps for my next one; this one will be for me :) I wish I could come in November to work on it! Alas, I'll be huge and well out of my comfort zone for being away from the house :(

Janet said...

Thanks for taking me back to the weekend of the tempest. It really was fabulous and special, despite or maybe because of the weather. And for reminding me how lucky we are to have a place like Sewjourn to visit. Awesome.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

That always sounds so much fun !

k said...

I echo Sarah's sentiments exactly. What a wonderful place you have to gather with friends and craft and relax. Plus that tree in the first photo is beautiful!

rachel said...

Much as I detest sewing, I'm always a bit envious of your lovely weekends away. This one sounds more than usually stimulating too, thanks to the weather!

Stomper Girl said...

And thank you and Janet for organising and inviting. Lovely to be part of it. It was a very knitty gathering that weekend, I thought that too.

Jo Windmill said...

It's inspiring to see you "ladies" having such a crafty, wonderful nourishing time together. I can see myself organising one once I stop wet-nurse duties...beautiful pics as usual

eurolush said...

Some day, when you least expect it, I'm going to show up at Sewjourn and demand an adult-sized knit cap. (I'll already be wearing striped leg warmers and a knit scarf, of course.)

Sewjourn sounds amazing. I'm happy for all of you.

fiveandtwo said...

Gosh, I was in and I missed it.
Immediate, close family members dying - damn. But I was with them, as it should be. And I was glad.