6 November 2010

more Bali photos

temple at Lake Bratan

Balinese fishing boats

I completely fell off the blogging train there, sorry. The last few weeks have been so crazy busy (the old refrain, I know) with work and an essay that is now DONE and IN thank goodness (free! free until March 2011!) and the youngest boy's school's Spring Fair and lemonade stalls to work on and cakes to bake and cello to practise because The Mighty Cellos made their debut at the Fair oh yes we did, and a Paul Weller concert to attend and soccer soccer soccer and braces for the middle boy and a wonderful wonderful craft retreat with, as Janet said, the funniest group of introverts I know, and oh god then the awful shocking death of our next door neighbour and hoo boy blogging just didn't even get a look in.

Balinese fishing boats

And I'm way behind with my flickr photos anyway, still uploading photos from Bali for heavens sakes which feels like a lifetime ago already. And now a funeral and a strings concert and a shipload of mangoes to deliver to friends (school fundraiser) and a whole lot of mangoes to eat and turn into chutney and eat and a friend's shop opening celebration and the bigger boys' school's Spring Fair next weekend so more cakes to bake and chutney to make and I'm on the Coconut Shy 10.30 to 12.30 come and say hi.

so red it glows

Holy shit I'm so tired. And sad. And busy. And shocked.

These photos are from one of the most beautiful places in Bali. It's Lake Bratan which is north west of Ubud, and there's a magnificent temple there (of course).

Temple at Lake Bratan

In the midst of all the busyness and sadness today was lovely. In the morning we visited faraway friends who have a brand new baby girl so I had a delicious dose of Eau de Newborn and this afternoon we spent a couple of hours with the next door neighbours (those on the other side of us) so we could all be shocked together and talk about life, death and the whole shebang and how really we should all be knocking on the doors of everyone in the street weekly and checking in on each other because you just never know do you.

Temple at Lake Bratan

I'm not very coherent at the moment. I keep thinking of teenagers finishing their growing up without their mum. Sheesh.

I'm off to eat yet another mango and hug my kids tight. When they get home from yet another blooming soccer match, that is.

17 comments:

Emma said...

I am so sorry that there has been a loss in your world. It's always a bit of a shock, I think.

Please keep the Bali photos coming! I am loving them. We honeymooned in Bali, and Lake Bratan is one of my favourite places in the world. I was so inspired by your photos and my memories that Bali is the setting for my NaNo novel this year!

rachel said...

That's an awful lot of Life in a very short space of time. You must be exhausted and emotionally drained. Thank goodness for new babies, the universal balm.....

travellersyarn said...

The thought of children growing up without a mother - always going to knock you off balance.

Lovely photos - much nicer than I remember Bali being.

Elizabeth said...

Lovely photos.
This is always a busy time of year, isn't it? Stuff happens.
I fell off the blog train too. Now I'm waiting to recover photos from my photo card. Sigh. One cannot blog without photos, as these gorgeous ones can attest to.

willowcaroline said...

Oh.. I am sorry. The shock of a sudden loss and that peek at our mortality is really tough.

The photos are lovely! What an exotic place to visit! And coconut shys... I have always wondered what those were and how that game worked - Miss Read speaks of them in many of her books. Tell me about them!

Thimbleanna said...

Holy Cow Suse -- it sounds like you have more on your plate than a girl can take! Sorry for the sudden loss in the neighborhood -- so very sad, but those jolts remind us to hold close those that mean the most to us. And mangos -- the girls tried to mango-educate me, but apparently we don't have good mangos here!

Stomper Girl said...

That does sound crazy busy, so even though I roolly roolly want to hear all about Craft Camp because I couldn't come, I will not nag you. How awful about your neighbour. A little friend of my 9yo just got diagnosed with Hodgkins we were all knocked for 6 by that last week.

Donyale said...

The first thing we do when we see Mangos around is to buy two - one for my daughter and one for my Mum - both twins in the love of the Mango. Not for me I'm afraid but am very happy to watch others.

I am sad for your loss - and thinking of you and your neighbour/s

Tania said...

That’s a heck of a lot of beauty and a whole lot of awful in one hit. What a rollercoaster, S. Go eat a whole truckload of mangos. Breathe in tight, soccer-smelling hugs. Prepare casseroles. Keep noticing that beautiful ordinary. Maybe see how you get along with a slow and steady sort of week...x

katiecrackernuts said...

That is sad. Unfathomable to think. But it does happen. Thoughts to them and to you.

Janet said...

How awful about your neighbour - and her family - sad and shocking.

Babies are lovely though. And mangoes and children too. XJ

Duyvken said...

The news of your neighbour is awful, how sad to know that there are teens who have lost their mum! And to have death mixed with new birth mised with travel - it's all a lot for a girl to take in.
Just take lots of time to savour those beautiful mangoes.
Thinking of you!
A

sewjourn said...

Oh Suse, what a time for you! Looking forward to catching up soon. Thinking of you and your neighbours.

But enjoy the mangoes - we tried to teach Anna how to cut them and eat them but.....

Cindy said...

Thinking of you and the loss of your neighbor. Mine left the earth last month, but he was 99. Dear old man; sharp to the end. Thank you for all your wonderful photos. ~ Cindy

Mary said...

You know in all this busyness and sadness you need to take good care of yourself right.

Eating mangoes and hugging your boys is good.

fiveandtwo said...

Hells Bells Suse, I could scarcely catch my breath just reading this post!
So sad about the untimely death of your neighbour.
Keep the Bali photos coming - just beautiful - I really enjoy your commentary too.

kt said...

Oh my, so much in such a small space of time!

Hope the lovely photos help soothe you. Thanks for sharing the downs and the ups, and wishing you more of the latter.