12 November 2010

next to godliness, apparently

I made soap! Three times!

my handmade soap

I'm ever so pleased with myself. Never again will I buy supermarket soap, with its dodgy ingredients and chemicals. The soaps pictured are from my second batch, which was a raging hooting spectacular success, unlike the first batch which was only moderately tolerable.

homemade soap

The most recent batch is still curing so I haven't had a chance to gloat smugly over it try it out yet, but it is a castile soap (ie. uses just olive oil, no other oils or fats) with some poppy seeds that I nonchalantly threw in for some scrubby action, as by now I was a Master Soapmaker.

Just a warning, if you're on my Christmas list you'll likely be getting homemade soap this year, maybe even with one or two of these if I get my act together in time.

While I'm updating you on my bathroom business, I should tell you I bought these recently and I love them.

bamboo toothbrushes

They're environmentally friendly toothbrushes (because your old toothbrush goes to landfill and will not break down in your lifetime, or your children's lifetime. And if you replace your toothbrush every 3 months as recommended, that's a lot of toothbrushes cluttering up the rubbish tip), available from here, via Kate who first mentioned them here.

Next up I'm going to make Melissa's homemade deodorant and complete my transformation into the mudbrick house dwelling, alpaca spinning, dishcloth knitting, organically grown caftan wearing hippy I've been threatening my husband with for years.

Note to self: buy goat.



PS. In case you're wondering why there are only four toothbrushes shown when you all know I have a family of five, no, I haven't snapped and killed Son #2 (that P is him). Son #3 (the missing H) and his toothbrush were on camp when I took this photo. And yes, the toothbrushes are identical, so if you buy them, and YOU SHOULD BUY THEM, you'll need a waterproof pen. The B is the mister by the way. There, you now know all our names practically. Don't stalk us, 'k?

21 comments:

pebbledash said...

Lovely photos....and wish I was on your christmas list!!

Which soap recipe did you use...do tell!

Kate said...

Yes everyone I know is getting soap too. I love homemade soap, I can't imagine ever buying soap in a aupermarket ever again.

Stomper Girl said...

Jen and I are getting in on soap-making action this Wednesday! Although I doubt it will be ready for Christmas?

The Coffee Lady said...

Oh, these are just the kind of things I promise myself I will do, and then never do.

silverpebble said...

You made soap. I want to make soap.

Your toothbrushes are not only virtuous, they're beautiful. You could hang them on the wall with a crochet doily and a shell. I'd pay to look at that I would.

pinry said...

i'd love to make soap, but am frightened of the lye. i do however make the angry chicken deodorant, and it's fantastic. i'm on my second batch, and it lasts for ages.

Elizabeth said...

I'd love to know the soap recipe you used. I once tried one made with glycerin, but it dried our skin terribly. The olive oil sounds much nicer.

rachel said...

You clever old hippy, you. We look forward to your brown rice and vegetables/tofu lentil bake recipes too, and our nostalgic yearnings for the good old days will be fulfilled.....

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I read this and thought wistfully , "Gosh , if only I had the time "..... and then realised that you're just as busy as I am , you just MAKE the time .
Chastened , I resolve to do better . After all , the thought of home-made Castile soap is irresistible ! But the poppy seeds stay firmly on my bread .... delicious !

Leonie Guld said...

So...How did you do it? the soap that is? Mine just ends up a crappy lump of mess!!! Please help....I beg you....Please!!!

fi said...

thanks for the links, toothbrushes and soap nuts ordered! now lovely lady tell me how can i purchase some soapy goodnes from you?

Frogdancer said...

I've downloaded a soap recipe to try.

But I'm interested in your olive oil recipe. (That would mean that I wouldn't have to race out and buy different oils.)

(I've also ordered some toothbrushes. Waiting impatiently for them to arrive.)

oh! And don't get a goat. Get chooks!!!

Another Outspoken Female said...

Your soap looks gorgeous.

I'm not crafty but I can grind. The best homemade face wash/scrubber I've come across is aduki beans, ground in a clean coffee grinder. The Bodyshop sells (or used to in the 90's haven't been in one since) it as "Japanese face washing powder"? or something like that. Leaves the skin clean and shiny. Easiest, greenest present ever!

flowerpress said...

I've pored over the recipes for soap and deodorant but not there yet, this might tip me over the edge. How cool!

Lynn said...

1. Commencing stalkage.

2. You won't be a proper alpaca mudbrick hippie until you stop using deodorant altogether.

3. Love those toothbrushes. We use ones made from old yogurt containers; yours are cooler.

4. I don't mean this in a hinting way, but DANG I wish I were on your gift-giving list. No pressure. Really.

Sort of.

Thimbleanna said...

You're so funny -- thanks for the reassurance about #2. Although, think of the stories that would ensue all over blogland ... "You won't believe this but my invisible friend actually snapped and sis the most awful ting..."

Ans Soap! How Fun!!!

Homesteadgirl said...

It's good to follow through on threats, otherwise you won't be taken seriously. Get a goat. Your posts always crack me up.

appleboysmum said...

Loved the soap, Suse, can you share the recipe?

Fioleta said...

You are so cool! I wish I was on your Christmas gift list. My friend gave me some Olive Oil/Honey soap made in a small Greek island and it feels so soft and smells so delicious - I can see why someone would never want to use mass-produced soap after trying handmade.

shula said...

Must.

Have.

Soap.

Elizabeth said...

I made soap three times too! The soap dishes are in the kiln as I write, the craft show is at the end of the month and then the rest are gifts.

You still need to sew up that caftan, girl.
(I will NOT be joining you in that)