22 December 2010

solstice weather

after the storm

summer morning

Sun, rain, storms, rainbows. It's all go around here lately.

The children have finished school for the year and are spending their days bouncing on the trampoline, playing soccer, indulging in endless vicious games of Monopoly and watching movies (the new Narnia film at the movies, and dvds here at home).

Son #3 recently displayed a fleeting enthusiasm for cooking and together we spent a day making gingerbread, apple sponge and something else but my brain is fried from Christmas shopping and I can no longer recall what.

The Christmas shopping is complete as of this morning. I thought I was already finished (the kids really only get one or two presents each) but the eldest cheekily reminded me (out of #3's earshot) about the stockings. My god the stockings, they will be the death of me. Gone are the days when I could fill them with chalk, playdough and new coloured pencils.

In other news, I made rice paper rolls for dinner the other day and am still feeling the glow. Another one to add to my rather limited repertoire.

Happy summer [or winter, for you northern types] solstice to you!

13 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Oh yes, it is the solstice isn't it! Thanks for the reminder. We've had the most beautiful moon in the last few days. It sounds like you have it all well in hand. I was finishing up making gingerbread for houses tonight, thinking how can this be? I'll have all day tomorrow to just relax and clean the house before the kids get home. Then I remembered -- I'll be baking cookies with mom and sister tomorrow. I knew there was no way I could have a totally free day this close to Christmas!

Melody said...

It seems as if it never ends does it? For me I also have the joy of having my husband's birthday on the 23rd. =)

fiveandtwo said...

Got my calendar today, from Redbubble. I love it!
Either of those photos (or both) would be splendid on the 2012 calendar.

Ali said...

I am hopeless at stockings. Hopeless. Time to write the master list and see what I've left out, I think. Merry Christmas!

christinelaennec said...

Oh, stockings! After more than 14 years of motherhood, I now remember to look for stocking-stuffers starting in about July. You're so right that as children get older, it gets more challenging to find wee things they'll enjoy. I generally find though that the suggestion that they are getting old enough to reciprocate and fill a stocking for me cuts out any complaints. Happy solstice and a very Merry Christmas to you all.

Tania said...

Rice paper rolls are my all time favourite (even beating lemon tart). I can't think why you couldn't throw a few of those into the Christmas stockings...

herhimnbryn said...

Happy christmas Soup Lady! Have a good one.

Rice paper rolls are divine aren't they. I do find that all the work of shredding veg and then dipping the rice paper in water prior to rolling, becomes a bore after a while. Much easier with a glass of wine to hand!

Fioleta said...

I love rice paper rolls.

Maybe you should put some of your handmade soap into their stockings. :-)

Stomper Girl said...

Mine are still at the easy stocking age. I'm not sure what a teen ought to find... socks & jocks maybe?

Anonymous said...

Oh, do share what you end up putting in the stockings. It is a challenge as they get older, isn't it? It's easier to find fun little things for the tween daughter, but the teen son is quite a challenge.

Isabelle said...

I have no idea what rice paper rolls are but hooray, you're going to let go of that sun and send it slowly back to us, are you? Because we certainly need it at the moment. -8 degrees C tonight and it feels it. Brr!

Have a lovely Christmas.

Bronwyn said...

Ah yes the stockings!!! Despite my children rolling their eyes at 'Santa', with a sly glare at me (not sure if they have truly forgiven the deception) - they still expect pressies on the end of their bed - but what??? (I'm going to be a tease this year and give them new lunch bags with an apple in it for both of them - can't wait for the cries of injustice!!!)

kt said...

Mmm, rice paper rolls? Recipe, please!

Happy Solstice! Yours is still a blog I look forward to reading daily....have a wonderful end of this and all of next Year!