29 January 2011
Finally, some knitting content. (You may cheer or leave now, depending on the level of your interest in knitting).
Looking back over my archives it seems as though I've knitted only socks and shawls for the past few years, but actually there were a couple of very successful short sleeved cropped cardigans (although somehow they don't quite seem to count as they're just rectangles). Anyway I am mightily pleased with what feels like my first garment in ages.
The pattern is the justly famous Tea Leaves which has now been knitted by over 1000 Ravellers. The pattern is elegant, beautifully written, results in a gorgeous garment and was a gift to me from the lovely Tania when I said at craft camp last year that it was high up on my Things to Knit list. She challenged me to a knit-along faster than you can say swatch, and generously procured me a bona fide purchased pattern a few days later.
I bemoaned some weeks later that I had too many wips languishing on the needles already, but of course succumbed and cast on a couple of nights before Christmas, and it became my three-day-car-journey knitting project. I cast off while we were on our island holiday, returned to my parents' house and rummaged unsuccessfully through Mum's button box for something suitable, finally packing it away reluctantly to be blocked and be-buttoned back home in Melbourne.
So now it's done. And of course, being back in a Melbourne summer (as opposed to a Queensland summer which is still hot even when there's water water everywhere), I've had several opportunities to wear it already. And I love it.
The cardigan grew lengthwise with blocking (but not widthwise thankfully), resulting in the sleeves now being a smidge longer than I'd like, but for now I'm leaving it. If they drag annoyingly in my supper too often I'll rip out the cuffs and shorten them a tad.
Interestingly, this project has kicked off my knitting mojo which went missing in action for the last couple of months of 2010. Since then I've knitted a pair of wristwarmers from the remainder of the Tea Leaves yarn (during the car trip home), and a cabled beret in deliciously soft alpaca. I've also made good progress on a pair of socks in a denim sock yarn that has thus far tried to be an Aeolian shawl, a Damson shawl and a pair of patterned socks in turn. Each was successively ripped out and the yarn is now happily becoming a very simple ribbed sock. My Big Garter Wrap, which is acre upon acre of soothing garter stitch, is now officially two thirds finished, but there are no pictures yet because it's knitted in hand dyed chunky green wool which will be dyed either a more consistent deep dark forest green or charcoal upon completion.
Yep, I've got the bug again.
Pattern :: Tea Leaves
Yarn :: Morris & Sons Woollahra 10ply/worsted
Colour :: Chilli
Needles :: 4mm and 4.5mm
Started :: 21 December 2010
Finished :: 10 January 2011
Full details, notes and photos have been ravelled.