20 February 2011

yet another birthday cake in the oven

default weekend setting for the youngest child

Family doings:

The wedding went off very well although sadly every photo of me wearing the pipecleaner goggles somehow didn't work out. Funny about that. The bride looked beautiful, the groom handsome, and all the far-flung family gathered for the first time in about five years. It was a very very emotional day for many of us. Sadness in the midst of happiness oi vey. I tell you what though, dancing all night long at a wedding is the best form of exercise.

The eldest child turned 17 on St Valentine's Day and although I made a cake (with soccerball candles!) I had to rush out to a meeting (regarding the Unbloggable Ishews, which hopefully are on their way to being sorted out fingerscrossedohgodwehopeso) and when I returned I learned from the rest of the family that the cake had sunk in the middle and was almost inedible. Sigh. The candles were a hit though.

The youngest child turns 12 today! And to celebrate he is out playing a soccer match. Sigh. Meanwhile I am here sewing cushion covers for his classroom and baking another birthday cake which hopefully will not sink in the middle. Stupid recipe. We went out for a Devonshire Tea this afternoon to celebrate and he has requested Chinese food for dinner which means takeaway in this household. And more soccerball candles.

February sunrise

Don't forget there's still time to leave a comment on the giveaway post. I'll pull a winner out of the virtual hat at the end of next week.

13 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

Happy Birthday to the littlest one, and fingers crossed for a non-sunken cake. I may have to investigate these soccer ball candles.

Fioleta said...

Happy birthdays to the kids. Hope the cake will turn out fantastic. And good luck with the resolution of Ishews.

Frogdancer said...

Happy birthday to all! (Well... all who have had birthdays recently..)

I have a couple of offspring who have birthdays 2 days apart. It makes for lots of excellent time management/joint parties/ etc.

Tania said...

Two cakes isn't bad. How are you getting away with only two? Birthdays seem to require four cakes around here, although I suspect that may have something to do with our family and our version of Unbloggable Ishews. Oi vey indeed.

I feel you are not giving those pipecleaner goggles the chance they deserve.

Happy birthday soccer kiddo.

librarygirl said...

I'm going to be the mother of a 17 year old too, on the first of March! How, Suse, how?

fiveandtwo said...

Hippo Birdies etc etc. I have a twenty-first birthday in July - how did that happen?
That last photo: simply beautiful. Thankyou.

The Coffee Lady said...

Look at your boy, reading. I want him. Send him on a plane.

The List Writer said...

February is multiple birthday season over here too - a good time of year for cakes, sunken or otherwise.

If I had a misty, tree-filled view like yours then I think all my cakes would be burnt or never get made at all. I'd spend so long gazing and day dreaming that nothing would get done properly.

Sarah said...

Lou turned 12 on Friday. We had a table of roses and strawberries. I am beginning to feel the end of childhood here and it makes me a wee bit melancholic. She is so much older at 12 than her sister was.

Martina said...

Dancing all night at a wedding is one of the most awesome things in the world! Last pic is lovely!

katiecrackernuts said...

We have a run on the birthdays this time of year too.
My sister's, my mums, which I almost forgot, then the eldest's, then mine, then the youngest's. Phew.

hilthethrill said...

Hi there! Happy birthday to your kids, and best wishes on anything unbloggable. That photo of your son reading is delicious!!!

Elizabeth said...

Happy birthday to the boys and good luck with the Unbloggables.