8 April 2011

autumn snapshot

reading :: Ransom by David Malouf. A great take on the most interesting chapter in The Iliad. A journey into the minds of Achilles and Priam, and Idaeus, quite unlike the original which does not dwell on any of the characters' interior lives. The ultimate fan fiction. Loved it.

listening [in the car] :: my very first Georgette Heyer experience. Devil's Cub. Someone said Heyer's books are like Mills and Boon romances - not true! There is nary a swelling bosom* in sight let alone a throbbing anything thankyouverymuch, plus the menfolk wear lace and rouge to boot. It's far more reminiscent of Jane Austen with its sly humour and sarcasm, and misunderstood young ladies of modest means who nevertheless are of aristocratic ancestry and are thus entirely worthy of the noble rakes against whose attractions they struggle. The narrator of this audiobook is particularly wonderful at voices and accents (and sly humour). A pleasure.

*Update, Saturday. Just dropped off a child at soccer and on the way home listened to 5 more minutes. Heard "Juliana's bosom swelled [...]" however it was in indignation rather than anything else so points there.

knitting :: a charcoal tweedy cardigan and a luscious blue patterned yoke cardigan. One at work and one at home. Both about two thirds completed.

crocheting :: a giant granny square rug omg I am addicted and cannot stop

ignoring :: the sewing together of the 90 black edged crochet squares into an afghan rug

eating :: fabulous organic hot cross buns from the school fundraiser

drinking :: a cleanskin merlot which is going down quite nicely on a Friday night

enjoying :: the end of term Easter celebration at Son #3's school - singing, hot cross buns and fruit, school strings group playing in the vegie garden in the early morning autumn light

planning :: June craft weekend, only eight weeks away

hoping :: to see Never Let Me Go at the cinema sometime this weekend

baking :: orange cake from Cookery the Strayan Way and bread from the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day website (it took longer than 5 minutes)

working :: nuff said

studying :: narratives of war throughout the ages

fighting :: the good fight. Still. Sigh.

despairing :: men behaving badly

singing :: Yuki, Yuki baby ... when I get home from work and want a cuddle from the badcat (to the tune of 'Jamie Baby', from Truly Madly Deeply)

drying :: herbs from my garden for soap making

drying herbs for soapmaking
L to R lemon thyme, common garden thyme, rosemary, lemon verbena.

16 comments:

RW said...

I love that photo.
Glad to hear you are still fighting the fight.
Battle on.

Carolyn said...

oh I love Malouf but I haven't read that one, thanks for the recommendation. :)

Lynn said...

Good GRIEF woman, I need roller skates to keep up with you. I feel like a complete slug...

(Those shoes are the best ever.)

mrsfife said...

Georgette Heyer is one of my favourites! You must read her murder mysteries as well, while those are criticised for not being like some other British women writers' stuff, her people are unbeatable. She draws them so well.
I love her books for her humour.

Fioleta said...

That's one very long busy list. I hope you'll write your opinion on "Never Let Me Go" if you get to see it (not that I'm likely to, but maybe one day if it is good)

alice c said...

MissM is a huge Georgette Heyer fan and would probably recommend The Grand Sophy or A Convenient Marriage. Georgette Heyer loved research and her books are renowned for authentic period details. There are some books which are pot boilers but the best of them are delightful with charming characterisations and sly humour.

Thimbleanna said...

You are one busy girl! I'm excited to see that crochet granny rug!

The Coffee Lady said...

I really do have to try Georgette Heyer.

fiveandtwo said...

I have "Ransom" in the teetering pile of books-to-read. Will fast track it now. Have read other Malouf and prefer his fiction writing to the non-fiction work.
I was going to ask about some knitting tuition in June...but, no I can't take on another craft love. Will continue to admire from the sidelines.

herhimnbryn said...

Ah! G. Heyer. A blast from my youth. You are right, she could never be compared with a M and B romance! Better historical research and her knowledge of the language of the time was perfect.

Herbs look good. Mine look poorly and like me are waiting for rain.

Julie said...

Oh I followed you over from bluemilk and was so delighted to find it was your blog, on which I have secretly lurked for a number of years! Have so often admired your knitting and your photographs from afar.

rachel said...

Georgette Heyer was the grand passion amongst us convent boarders! But 'Devil's Cub' was a lot more passionate than most of the others, and was in the book case kept for the older girls..... Great stuff; all those well-turned ankles, sprigged muslin, ratafias and syllabub.....

christinelaennec said...

I love your shoes and am marvelling that you get to knit at work! Or is that only during lunch breaks?

Anonymous said...

Oh so G Heyer. Need to reread those. Those books certainly added to my vocabulary when I was young. I went around telling people they were such "Toadies".

kathleen

MsCellania said...

Where'dyou get those shoes?! Wonderful!
Life can be exhausting. But you do not sound tired! No, not YOU!

Suse said...

MsCellania, I got them at Rivers. $20!!

(I am always tired)