20 April 2011

lids for kids

When one's brain is full of essay material but it needs more time to percolate and bubble, knitting keeps the fingers busy and allows the mind to process thoughts and structure an argument. It's far more productive than sitting in front of a blank Word document, fighting (and losing) the temptation to flip over to the party side of the computer and catch up on friends' doings on facebook.

baby bonnet

Alert readers usually recognise an imminent deadline when they see a complete blog revamp. This time I'm enhancing the gift stash with useful baby items and feeling very smug about it.

baby bonnet

Both projects have been ravelled.

I've also been regularly updating my reading log if you're interested. It's over there on the left, under Not Just Cookbooks.

13 comments:

Tania said...

I'm loving the Practical Use of Time theories (more than you could know) but still fully expect to see your sidebar on the right hand side before that essay is due.

Tania said...

The powerful temptation of the internet when one should be doing other thins...I know it well. On the plus side you have managed to make some beautiful little hats :)

Tania said...

things not thins :)

Jennifer said...

oooh, thanks for the book reviews - have added a few new authors to my kindle wishlist (miraculously all available!)

The Elephant's Child said...

Love the baby gear. Talented you are.
And I am a Heyer fan from way back - wonderful stress free reading. Also Barbara Kinsolver - though I agree with you about Lacuna. Wouldn't ever pass her books up though - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle was one I gave to several many friends.

rachel said...

Look! Knitted chameleons! Oh.... they're not.....

Stomper Girl said...

Ha! This is why I'm behind on typing up the tap routines for the students - that damn party side of the computer keeps distracting me!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

As a displacement activity , the making of baby bonnets has to beat excavating the deep freeze .
Little green and hyacinth- coloured bonnets are so much more appealing than year-old frozen broad beans .

christinelaennec said...

I truly believe that knitting is good for the brain. And plus those wee bonnets are so beautiful! Happy essay-writing.

katiecrackernuts said...

You have a reading log. Oh glory, you're organised.
I was thinking about Ubud Writer's Festival this year. May I ask you how you booked accommodation? Was it a package with the festival, or did you just walk into a travel agent and say "this place, this date, book me"?
Any suggestions would be welcome. The festival website isn't really that informative.

Janet said...

Those hats are so cute, and I love the styling of them too.

You are also totally right about knitting versus the evil party side of the computer.

Frogdancer said...

On a totally unrelated note: I was reading a post by a woman who tried dyeing wool with natural plant materials...
http://slowlivingessentials.blogspot.com/2011/04/one-brown-skeina-journey-through.html

Thought you might be interested in having a look.

dreamaire outlast blanket said...

Wow! it is looking So warm And Comfortable! i really like it!