25 June 2011

just another random Saturday

sock yarnhand dyed sock yarn

A shipload of sock yarn all dyed up in greens and charcoals. Knit it up myself or fire up the defunct shop?

curled up

He still bites. He's still gorgeous and loving when he feels like it. His favourite snoozing spot is the pink chaise.

Patrick's staff

Son #2 went on the big 16-day farming camp that the Year 9s always go on. They work hard on the farm, and in their free time most of them make bush furniture. When Son #1 went two years ago he brought home a magnificent stool he'd made, which he uses as his guitar stool. Son #2 decided to get in touch with his inner hobbit, and made ... a staff.

I'm threatening to sew him a velvet green cloak. Note, he refused to pose with his [admittedly, rather wonderful] staff.

spider web built overnight in my kitchen

It's cobweb season again here in Cobweb Country. Usually they're the single thread sort which appear overnight, but this amazing web appeared in my kitchen the other morning, strung between the recipe stand on the kitchen bench and the pots 'n pans rack hanging from the ceiling and complete with miniscule spider in its centre. I couldn't bear to destroy such a work of art, but by the next day it had disappeared.

finishing Lord of the Rings

Son #3 finishing the last couple of pages of Lord of the Rings. Puffing out his cheeks in exasperation at glancing up and finding the camera on him. Oh Muuu-uuum.

20 comments:

The Elephant's Child said...

What a wonderful random day. Happy to hear that someone else has a cat who alternates vicious attacks with being a true charmer. Loved the staff and the cobweb.

mrsfife said...

I loved all of it. Makes me wish I lived in your house :)

mrsfife said...

Oh, and that bow on your cat is so cute!!! And so are the details on the staff. Mustn't add any more PSs or I'll be taken for a spammer.

Susan said...

love the cat collar and hobbit staff!

bec said...

I live when they lay around reading. he's obviously comfy near the fire!

rex said...

I had a cat just the same as this one..... temperamental Siamese! Adored me, but struck out at anyone else walking too close...! slept the same way too,(so cute).

I am also obsessed with spider webs at the moment. I seem to notice them everywhere and that they cover the earth all over. Fantastic photo.

librarygirl said...

that boy is after my own heart...

shadygrey said...

My oldest son has no qualms about publication and tries to stick his mug into every photo I take; younger son has banned me from taking photos of him, let alone putting them on my blog. Why oh why did I not discover blogging earlier when he was too young to protest? And he was sooo cute.

rachel said...

I think it's one of the loveliest sights in the world, a child engrossed in a book.....

Mrs A said...

I am curious is sock yarn different to other yarn? Looks like you had a lovely saturday

Annie said...

One kid with his nose in The Lord of the Rings, and another with a hobbit staff ... yours is my kind of household!

Annie said...

Oops, sorry ... I typed my contact wrong ... this one's better!

herhimnbryn said...

Looks like son #3 has the best spot, next to the fire.

My Welsh Nanna called spider webs 'fairy swings' and told me it was unlucky to be rid of them. I take her advice to heart.

Thimbleanna said...

LOVE that last picture -- I'm betting it's a scene played out all over the world in bloggers homes. Kudos to your little angel for hanging in there. (Gorgeous spiderweb too!)

zephyr said...

i've got band-aids (plasters?) on both thumbs and two fingers.

That's one talented spider. Obviously wanted to give you, the other very talented fiber artist of the home, a gift.

Lover HHB's "fairy swings"

victoria said...

Ah ha! I am trying to work out whether to let my 8 year old read Lord of the Rings? He gets a bit worked up so I was wondering if would be too scary for him, but I don't want to read it myself to find out. The dilemma!
Son 3 does not look scared!!

Suse said...

Hey Victoria! My boy is 12, and isn't scared by it, but I think it's more of a challenging read than The Hobbit which he's read a couple of times now.

I think it would be a big task for an 8 year old. Not that I'm saying don't let him, I firmly believe you shouldn't forbid ANY reading. I'm just saying it's probably still a bit beyond most 8 year olds.

Let me know what he does! Have you had that baby yet?!

Stacey said...

Your kitty is just beautiful. Don't you love it when they put their leg over their face like that? My boy is in that position as we speak.
Ah, that you've dyed? If you do decide you'd like to sell some, can you please let me know?

Dmarie said...

all the shots here are simply gorgeous...thanks for sharing!

Charlotte said...

Ours bites too if that's any consolation.