18 July 2011

different lines

I should title this post "tis the season part II", or "more knits for my neck, sorry for the lack of variety lately".

Different Lines shawl

So. Meet my latest shawl. More of a scarf really as it's quite petite. The pattern is Different Lines from the brilliant Veera, and is a variation of her Stripes Study shawl pattern. I've cast on for that one too, in green and charcoal (yes I found a use for those yarns I dyed), so look out for yet another "tis the season" post, you lucky lucky people.

Different Lines shawl

I knitted this in two sock yarns, one charcoal and the other an undyed natural cream, but when it was finished the cream looked a most unattractive shade of dirty off white so I threw the shawl into a sort of grape-purple dyebath (cherry Kool Aid, courtesy of my American crack Kool Aid dealer, with a dash of black food colouring) and this is what happened.

Different Lines striped shawl

The natural yarn turned a slightly more fetching shade of plum, but I was surprised at the extent to which the dark grey took up the purple dye, as it's now a very deep aubergine. That is, except for the final couple of dozen stitches on the bind off which were done in a different grey because I ran out of yarn so subbed in with a mystery grey thread from the stash which took up the dye at a different rate (ie. not at all). Sigh. I'm telling myself it's not noticeable. If you can spot it in the photos I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW. (I just looked at this photo; it is indeed noticeable. I just also noticed how appallingly creased the shawl is. It'd been in my overnight bag for a couple of days as I took it away with me to the sheep & wool show which reminds me ... stash enhancement and woolly tales to come! Anyway apologies for the lack of artfully styled and carefully pressed knitwear photos).

I notice the house needs repainting too. Amazing what you notice only in photos.

Moving ON.

Different Lines

Anyway, post-dyeing I quite like the shawl, and it matches my glasses now too which are a kind of aubergine/plum so, um, bonus! I feel all styled and matchy-matchy when I wear it. Like I did it on purpose or somesuch.

Different Lines
God it really is crumpled, isn't it.

The pattern is brilliant and so clever in its construction. The secret is short rows, of course. It's also highly addictive and fast (I cast this on in order to have a lightweight knitting project in my handbag for the sheep show, but it was done and dusted before I even left on Friday night so I simply had to cast on another project, hence the green and charcoal version currently in progress). Also, garter stitch, yum.

Recommended.

Vital statistics ravelled here.

PS. I'm appearing in an interview tomorrow; I feel so important. Details to come. Edited to add: the interview is up! Read it here, and thank you so much Susie. I'm blushing furiously.

13 comments:

Rose Red said...

It's gorgeous! Both of these patterns are in my queue, I am desperate to get some other projects done so I can start at least one of them!

And I CANNOT see the different grey castoff. Not at all!

little macaroon. said...

I can't get my little one's bedtime done quick enough tonight so that I can start this - it looks beautiful!

Tania said...

I tried coming over all squinty and x-ray gaze and I'll be damned if I can see stitches of weirdy greyness. Just a think of beauty, I reckon.

tut-tut said...

beautiful! love the asymmetry

Annie said...

No grey visible in Wales (unless you caount the sky) ... your plumy little neckershawl looks divinely and exclusively plumy to me, or possibly blackcurranty ... love it! And that you were brave enough to knit it and then dunk it in dye!!

Penelope said...

Oooh eeeer what a beauty, I think your love of this pattern has just winged itself my way, love love those colours too xox look forward to the next seasonal make.

christinelaennec said...

Your shawl is gorgeous - enjoy the interview!

shadygrey said...

oooh, just read your interview. You're FAMOUS now girl! Congrats.
But also, Cherry Kool Aid? Really? That opens up a whole new world of possiblity. Dr Pepper shawls. Cheerio scarves. Peanut butter m&m cardigans.
I'd wear that. And possibly lick it a bit.

Suse said...

You wouldn't want to lick Kool Aid, it's disgusting stuff. Those crazy Americans, I don't know why they think it's for ingesting ;)

Also, FAMOUS! Heh.

Anne said...

Looks beautiful!
Where did you get the Kool Aid? Did you buy it on line?

How is your beautiful cat?

Suse said...

Thanks Anne! The Kool Aid was sent to me by two lovely bloggy friends in the US. I have quite the stash now!

As for the cat, we're not on speaking terms this week. Ask me again next week.

zephyr said...

Oh, yes. Much yummier than "real" KoolAid (contradiction in terms). This is fabulous. Think even i could make this one.

Loved reading the interview.

Sheep Rustler said...

What a beautiful design! And sometimes overdying can work a treat, as this obviously did.