13 July 2011

tis the season

to warm one's neck

cherry berry cowl

stovepipe cowl in daylight hours

Boy it's damp and wintry around here. I've been madly knitting things to go around my neck in a desperate attempt to stave off drafts. The red one in particular has not left my neck my for days on end (it's long enough to wear doubled for extra snuggle factor).

For those pointy-stick obsessed amongst you who are interested in the details, both cowls are ravelled, here and here.

Other stuff:
• The laptop hardrive died, leaving me in mourning for all the photos I didn't get around to backing up or uploading to Flickr (probably not many, but enough to miss), and in shock over losing the accounting software that we use for the mister's business, (now out of date, meaning we can't reload it). The laptop died a couple of days after the end of financial year, before I had a chance to finalise the accounts. Ouch. A whole year lost, and now I have to find a new bookkeeping software package. Recommendations welcome. Commiserations, also.

• Off to see the final instalment of Harry Potter in a couple of hours. My children have grown up with these books and films, so it feels like a real milestone in our lives. The older two may go again later with their own friends, but today we are all going together. The family that sobs together, stays together. Or something ...

• Speaking of milestones, there is only one member of the household shorter than I am now. I'm thinking of putting a brick on his head.

• I'm going to the wool show this weekend with my fellow knittery, woolly, textiley Steiner school mums. Hip hip!

14 comments:

Tania said...

Oh, I'm commiserating, believe you me. YUCK.

Bury your head in your very lovely Honeys for a while (same sort of effect as sticking head in sand, only way snugglier)...

PS. Don't you love how those 'purl' rows just whizzed along?

Mary said...

Big commiserations from me too. There would have been some solid cursing done by me if that had happened here.

I know a family here in the mountains who have done the same thing - gone to all the Potter movies together and are feeling a little sad that this is the last.

Karen said...

Love the knitting!

Yes, commiserations on the dead accounting software. However, I have worked in an accountant's office for many years and suggest you talk to yours about the Banklink program - it's super easy, helps with your BAS prep and can produce financial statements at end of year. Should work out cheaper than you buying the software.

The Coffee Lady said...

I lost a whole year's worth of photos once due to idiocy. Luckily I had been in bed ill for most of the year, so I didn't lose much.

Accounts though. Ouch.

Penelope said...

I loved making the honey cowl, your colour choise is beautiful, I made mine with a Debbie Bliss tweed xox

blackbird said...

I've lost photos too. Stings.

98 here. Tis the season to hope we don't have to venture outdoors.

Shammickite said...

It better be a BIG brick!

Elizabeth said...

There is no one in the house shorter than me - and I'm 5'8"! (Bricks don't work and are rather hard on the neck)
I feel your pain on the software. My man's laptop just broke down and he has three large projects to finish.
Have good fun at the wool show and bring home something lovely to show and tell.

Angel Jem said...

Wow, ouch and enjoy. As for the bricks thing, don't try it. I think it's illegal. But 6 inch heels might work?

Lynn said...

You have spooked me now, as my computer is moving slower and slower and I am feeling nervouser and nervouser. Must back up pronto. (So sorry for your loss.)

There's only one person shorter than me now, too. But at least he'll be staying that way for seven more years. Unless I really get going on the old-lady shrinkage thing...

Lynn said...

P.S. And unless he really takes the cross-dressing to the next level (Angel Jem's comment about six-inch heels made me think of that).

Annie said...

I'm commiserating, but a tad worried about the brick ... one sneeze from him and it could fall on your foot! I'd definitely go with the 6" heels, it'll be safer ;)

Gina said...

Holy cowls! Thems are beautiful. Have a great wool-fest.

Stomper Girl said...

I''m destined to be the shortest in our family one day. Apparently the trick is, make your lanky teenagers sit down first before telling them off.

I love that you're doing the final Harry Potter film together. Mine are too young, but Nell and I are making sure we see it together as she and I have grown up (or at least older) with teh Wizards.

I used MYOB when I worked in the The Yartz, it was a good program I thought but I don't know about home accounting