14 September 2011

making and doing

The essay on medieval textiles wasn't actually on the textiles themselves, but focused rather on the use of religious imagery on household textiles and clothing in the pre-iconoclastic period. But it necessitated some very fun research on textiles from that era and I now have rather a large wishlist over on Book Depository on textiles through the ages and some plotting going on in my head regarding future research. If I can stomach the thought of more years of The Juggle, that is.

Other doings :: thinking, writing, working, knitting. Packing another child off to camp - this time it was Son #1 heading off for a week of rock climbing camp with the other Year 11s before they have to knuckle down to end of year exams. Practising the cello as we have two performances looming large (or gigs, as we like to say. We also call our lessons band practice, rather than middle-aged ladies beginner strings group. Sad, yes).

Makings :: a skirt. Linen from Lincraft, doily from the op shop.

doily skirt
Channelling Dottie Angel only without the chickens.


strippy red cushion cover

A strippy red cushion cover to go with the strippy red quilt top which will one day be a complete quilt draped over my blue couch.

cushion cover

Another cushion cover which I now realise as I look at this photo, isn't quite as randomly pieced as intended.

yet to be decided

And a square of pieced fabrics which was meant to become a sort of patchworked project bag but turned out to be utterly the wrong shape, so will probably become another cushion cover. Or maybe not, as I seem to have made quite a few these days. Don't know what's with that. (Well, probably the lure of small, achievable projects. Unlike say, quilts, or PhDs on medieval textiles).

15 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

I quite like the title Middle Aged Ladies Beginner Strings Group Practice. I think it has a certain je ne sais quoi. Your cushions are lovely too.

norma said...

love the skirt love the cushion heaps and your shoes ....

Janet said...

I was admiring your skirt and cushions and thinking - nothing wrong with her middle age style. You are one of the hippest (in a good way not an eye rolling way) MALBSGP ers I know!

Sarah said...

I found every bit of your post interesting...my Mother is a textile historian. I have the urge to finally figure out quilting this winter. Love the middle age band rehearsals! I would join a music group if I didn't think my family would implode from too many performances, etc. Do you see Piecework Magazine ever? My favorite combination of history, textiles, and patterns to try.

Annie said...

Nice stripes! Happy gigging :D

And a quick question ... where do you find the time to fit in so much? I'm beginning to think you're some kind of human dynamo!

Bec said...

German girl at work today told me something amazing: semi colons are also semi colons in German, but colons are double dots. Which means your double colons are either quadruple dots, or double double dots:: whichever rocks your boat.

Bec said...

Dammit. Forgot to say - if I saw your purple sneaker still life in a gallery I would buy it. x.

Thimbleanna said...

Such beautiful pictures -- all of them Suse! Love the skirt and the lovely images in my mind of you playing the cello in it!

flowerpress said...

Love all of this, especially the little bits of flowerpress in the cushion, I've popped it in my pinterest :-) Great self portrait and such a cute skirt. I don't know how you take photos of yourself, mine are always dreadful! Maybe I need to try a dottie angel too.

The Coffee Lady said...

You had me at medieval.

D Darby said...

Love the cushions, that strippy idea is brilliant for quilts and cushions :-) so many ideas so little time. Must cancel some boring stuff and get to work...

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

With your eye for detail , feeling for colour and language and unending supply of energy a Ph. D. in medieval textiles will be a doddle !
I could send you the odd sprat pudding to keep you going .....

Julie said...

Hello there, my what a lovely blog you hav. I have just found out about you from Katiecrackernuts. I love your skirt and is that skinny laminx cloth? Look like a beautiful part of the world you live in. P.S. your son looks great as a hobbit.

victoria said...

The house/wall/place you are standing in front of looks so cool.

High School Diploma said...

hey, I love that you have posted in design.. nice to see this..